Ladies - Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

oleada

Record Breaker
I've never been a Phaneuf fan, but I very much enjoyed her program today. She seemed extremely confident, and it showed. Excellent performance. On a shallow note, the new part in her hair looks so much better than the severe middle part she's sported forever. I'm glad she's not skating to yet another classical piano piece!

Makarova was my other favorite of the night. Her expression and performance were really improved. Needs more speed, but she'll get there.

Zawadski....I like her jumps. That said, the program does not work for me. I think she's posing, but not feeling the music. Her movements to it seem forced and awkward. Also, I don't know if this is a Colorado Springs thing, but she is a lovely looking girl - why on Earth is she sporting such ugly costume and hair? Could also use more speed overall. Still lots of potential there, not sure if her current team is the one to bring it out of her.

I also liked Imai, but she needs a bit more power and polish.

Tigger

Final Flight
So happy for Cynthia. Now *that's* the Cynthia of old. Confident and her arms *up*!! Not positioned to break the fall she expected to happen once the jump was done in the air for the last two years, but up and out to go along w/the beautiful jumps. Loved the dress too, although it came across as a more bronze-ish gold than plain gold. Which w/her colouring works big time for Cynthia.

Just so happy and thrilled for her. Now for the LP tomorrow!!

Wow...Agnes is one I'm going to have to keep my eyes on. So much potential there. Very bright future for that young lady if she keeps progressing the way she has been.

Ksenia was lovely as expected. :)

Felt so badly for Sonja from Spain. I've had my share of knee problems over the years, so my own were wincing in sympathy after that hard fall she took at the start of things. PJ was saying that her skates didn't get to Kingston until yesterday/this morning (can't remember which), so combine the lack of practice due to that and the fall...That was one gutsy performance!!

All in all, it was a pretty decent Ladies SP. Looking forward to the LP's tomorrow!!

mishieru07

On the Ice
In answer to your smart alec remark, no, I neither have the time nor the desire to read over all the continually changing rules & regulations. After the skating season is over, I'm gone, which is my custom every year. Skating is not my life, just something I enjoy. :)
Also, I'm a traditionalist, and I respect those that came before, which is why I use 3R, not 3L, et al, in honor of its creator Werner Rittberger. I don't care what the ISU rule book says. Savvy. ;)
Thus far, I enjoyed the ladies at NHK more, but that's not saying much. I can't wait to see what Mirai Nagasu has in store for us all at COC (crossing fingers it's something phenomenal)!

Ahh IC; my apologies for coming across as smart-alecy; that really wasn't my intent. The reason I suggested looking up the rules was because I only really started following the sport post 2004. Got really annoyed with myself for being unable to understand the scoring so I spend the end of the off season reading up on changes. But of course, that was a purely personal desire to learn more about the sport.

I really didn't know about the "traditionalists" approach in calling a loop; thanks! (and no, I'm really not being snarky, promise!!). I always thought people called it 3R to differentiate it from the Lutz.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I think Ksenia should've been first. She was excellent! Phaneuf was good too, but triple toe as a single jump in SP? Seriously? She is not Kostner who really deserves high PCS and good scores without difficult jumps. I think Alissa's PCS should've been the highest, then Ksenia and Cynthia.
Alissa is a really good skates with wonderful qualities, but her jumps aren't good at all... Well, at least she didn't fall this time. I found her program a bit boring, but good overall, I'd put her ahead of Agnes.
Zawadzki is the best jumper of all the American girls, but her skating skills are still weak, she is slow and I didn't like her presentation. The program is OK, but she didn't sell it

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Ahh IC; my apologies for coming across as smart-alecy; that really wasn't my intent. The reason I suggested looking up the rules was because I only really started following the sport post 2004. Got really annoyed with myself for being unable to understand the scoring so I spend the end of the off season reading up on changes. But of course, that was a purely personal desire to learn more about the sport.

I really didn't know about the "traditionalists" approach in calling a loop; thanks! (and no, I'm really not being snarky, promise!!). I always thought people called it 3R to differentiate it from the Lutz.

No problem, friends. :) We all have our differing opinions, which can get quite heated while in the *moment*, lol. :D

The important thing is that we are all figure skating fans, otherwise we wouldn't be here, our goal really should be to incorporate more with honey, not vinegar. :) Btw, Dorispulaski is perfect at that, patient, understanding, never flies off the handle, and has such a way about her that I'm tempted to watch ice dance one day, even though I said I wouldn't, especially with S&B injured. :(

MKFSfan

Medalist

Mishieru0-7-I'm not one to get involved in other poster's...discussions...but I wanted to say I did not think you were smart-alecky at all. I thought your post was a bit tounge in cheek about the "1001 rule changes" and informative. I'm one who tries really hard to understand the rule changes each year and apply them to the programs, but it is very hard at times to figure it all out! I do the same reason as you: I do love this sport and have a desire to understand what scores mean. At the beginning of the season, there are going to be tons of head scratching moments and I bet the coaches and skaters feel the same way.

I am SO impressed with Cynthia! Confidence looks great on her! Love the dress and the hair as well. Hope she can skate well today! Agnes, Alissa and Ksenia impressed me too. All in all, I enjoyed this SP more so than NHK.

miki88

Medalist
I just watched Agnes to see what the hype was about. She is impressive and more so than Gao. She does pose a lot though but it works for a program like this one. At times, her charisma even reminds me of Baiul.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I just watched Agnes to see what the hype was about. She is impressive and more so than Gao. She does pose a lot though but it works for a program like this one. At times, her charisma even reminds me of Baiul.

:scowl: . Well, Gao scored 58 for her clean SP at JGP Graz compared to Agnes' 56, so I think the international judges may think differently. I agree that Agnes is great, but to me Gao is more elegant, fast, and expressive. Agnes has huge jumps and her spins are better than Christina's at the moment, but I think Gao is better in all other aspects. JMPO of course. I wouldn't be surprised if they both were on the podium at nationals this year considering none of the other senior ladies look much improved from last season.

Ksenia was my favorite of all the ladies last night. Her jumps are so secure and I love her regal quality. The only thing that bugs me about her is the hunched back in her sit-spin :unsure:

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Alissa look so pretty out there but she needs to be more aggressive. I just noticed she's not wearing those ugly boot covers.

Agnes ZAWADZKI she's pretty good but wow..she's only sixteen and she's 5'6. How much will she continue to grow. She reminds me someone of Oksana and their legs are similar.

Last edited: