Chan talks about the quad | Golden Skate

Chan talks about the quad

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Talk is cheap. That's why there's so much of it. We'll see what's what when Patrick actually puts the quad out there at Skate Chanada. :) Hopefully without leaving behind the other elements of his skating he's already known for.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes this is a completely different approach, well..if you get on the other side of the quadland you find it beautiful ...;)
I read he is landing them in practice for SC but i havent seen vids, but the one he landed in the summer was gorgeous, to be honest it was so good i thought it was a triple:laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I hope for his sake that he lands it today in the short. He's talking like he had a religious experience.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I love Chan's skating, but I've gotta say (and this is assuming the reporter's somewhat at fault, not entirely blameless like I suspect) he really does lack of self-awareness. Glad he's going for the quad

bestskate8

On the Ice
All his talk about Plushenko doesn't look healthy to me.
Please Chan NO MORE :bang:Just go and skate with quad or NO quad!

His next competition in Russia and next Olympics in Russia as well. He probably is wondering how people in Russia will accept him next four years. That damage he did last year by talking not respectfully towards Plushenko’s programs with quads now needs to be fixed. He knows he will get respect from antiplushenko fans in Russia but he more cares about media and main public opinion. It is all about PR now, and I don’t see people will buy his “new” opinion about Plushenko’s quads. inho
At least I don't buy it, anyone else?!:confused:

seniorita

Record Breaker
except for one sentence in the middle that seems like journalist's input I probably did miss anything else related to Plu in this article:confused:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Yes this is a completely different approach, well..if you get on the other side of the quadland you find it beautiful ...;)
I read he is landing them in practice for SC but i havent seen vids, but the one he landed in the summer was gorgeous, to be honest it was so good i thought it was a triple:laugh:

I hope for his sake that he lands it today in the short. He's talking like he had a religious experience.

ROTFLMAO!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bestskate8

On the Ice
except for one sentence in the middle that seems like journalist's input

It's a mental game from canadian media :laugh:

Very much doubt Russian skaters will need quads in Sochi to win, but Chan surely will need 3, same as Plushenko needed 3 to win in Vancouver, nothing can be change in old kingdom :biggrin:

He now understands what 2006 Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko was talking about when he insisted that quads are so important, you shouldn’t be an Olympic champion without one.

elif

Medalist
Now, Chan thinks it’s “kind of weird” when a skater doesn’t put a quad in his short program even though he’s known for doing them. He said he was shocked that world champion Daisuke Takahashi won the NHK Trophy event last week without a quad, and he’s been doing quads longer than Chan has been doing triple Axels.

:eek:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:eek: indeed. :disapp: too. Chan has to be the most two-faced skater I've ever seen. What champion skater is he going to criticize next? He's already been through Joubert, Plushenko, Takahashi . . . . Someone's gonna have some serious egg on his face if he doesn't land a quad in the SP at Skate Canada in just a few hours from now.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
:eek: indeed. :disapp: too. Chan has to be the most two-faced skater I've ever seen. What champion skater is he going to criticize next? He's already been through Joubert, Plushenko, Takahashi . . . . Someone's gonna have some serious egg on his face if he doesn't land a quad in the SP at Skate Canada in just a few hours from now.

Hope he likes eggs.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Or at the very least, the art of fact checking before you blab to the media.

I'm surprised the reporter included Patrick's comment about Daisuke not landing a quad in NHK, it really sticks yet another foot in Patrick's mouth....

prettykeys

Medalist
...but seriously. Quads are sorely missing in Men's figure skating these days.

I remember when there was a time when you could clearly pick out the superior skaters; when you could expect there to be good skating, excellent choreo/interpretation, and quads. Back when Yagudin, Plushenko, and Goebel were in their primes. These days, we often do still see excellent skating and performances from the guys, but I can't help but feel like something's lacking.

Even when a skater didn't have a quad, the striving and the standard was there. Not so much anymore. I would be lying if I said it didn't feel like things have regressed a little.

With Patrick, I hope he does master his quad and 3-axel consistently. I'd be really excited at the potential.

Nadine

Record Breaker
You know the honest to God truth is I feel rather sorry for Patrick. Seriously, he seems like a people-pleaser, he wants to please everybody, he tries so hard but instead it always came out with him sticking his proverbial foot in his mouth. He reminds me of a puppy dog, wanting to be accepted, it's rather endearing in fact. I mean this with all sincereity.

The kid has my sympathies, I still recall how seeing him skate in person at the Olympics changed my mind about him, I couldn't believe he was that good. At that moment I understood what everybody meant that seeing skating *live* is a whole other ballgame. The short guys are not so impressive in person imho because they look like fleas on ice, except Patrick, his extensions (like Sasha Cohen) make him appear to be taller than what he actually is, that's what I noticed right off the bat. And then there was Zhenya (aka Evgeni Plushenko), there's nothing like it, he has this honest to God aura about him, it just radiates, like seeing a Romanov in person. I can't explain it, especially when he skates, nothing like it. And the tall lithe guys stick out like a beam of light (aka Abbott, Lysacek, and that one guy from Russia). Anyhow, just some late night ramblings...

p.s. that said, I'm a traditionalist, and believe that a fall is a fall is a fall. In Sonja Henie's day if you fell you were automatically out, "falls" were considered a weakness in her day, and it is to me as well, no matter how beautiful the skating (ala Sasha Cohen). That's what show skating is for imho.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
In Russia we say: "Word is silver, but silence is gold". So Patrick, could you please shut up and just skate?