‘Fresh start’ for Czisny after personal disappointment | Page 2 | Golden Skate

‘Fresh start’ for Czisny after personal disappointment

MKFSfan

Medalist
I thought Alissa does have a Bye since she is competing on the GP series? I'd imagine those competitions coincide with her Regionals/Sectionals.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought Alissa does have a Bye since she is competing on the GP series? I'd imagine those competitions coincide with her Regionals/Sectionals.

Last year didn't Emily get a free pass to Natls when she filled in for Sasha at SA?
Seems odd that Alissa with two GP events has to qualify. Is it because of her poor placement at Natls last season?

Emily was out of skating and going through regionals last season and then bingo - she got SA and a pass to Natls.
Something seems inconsistent about this........

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Last year didn't Emily get a free pass to Natls when she filled in for Sasha at SA?
Seems odd that Alissa with two GP events has to qualify. Is it because of her poor placement at Natls last season?

Emily was out of skating and going through regionals last season and then bingo - she got SA and a pass to Natls.

Had she been top 5 at nats, she would have a bye to nationals, but because she was 10th and her GP events are far apart, she has to compete at sectionals.

MKFSfan

Medalist

I could be wrong but I think Emily had to do Regionals and was able to skip Sectionals since SA coincided with SA. I forget what the time frame is, two weeks between end of one, start of the other?

No idea when Alissa's Regionals would've been, but she is listed for TEB, which begins Nov. 26th. Midwestern Sectionals are Nov 17-22, so my guess is there is her bye! I bet the USFSA arranged for that to coincide (meaning requested she get invited to TEB) so that she would be able to ship Sectionals.

I could be wrong but I think Emily had to do Regionals and was able to skip Sectionals since SA coincided with SA. I forget what the time frame is, two weeks between end of one, start of the other?

No idea when Alissa's Regionals would've been, but she is listed for TEB, which begins Nov. 26th. Midwestern Sectionals are Nov 17-22, so my guess is there is her bye! I bet the USFSA arranged for that to coincide (meaning requested she get invited to TEB) so that she would be able to ship Sectionals.

Yeah, with less than a week between the end of Sectionals and the beginning of Trophee Eric Bompard this should be an automatic.

I think Alissa's regionals would have been Upper Great Lakes in Wisconsin on October 8-12. This is less than two weeks before Skate Canada.

BTW, here are the ways you can qualify for Nationals.

(1) Placing in the top four in novice, junior or senior at the current season's sectional championships.

(2) Placing in the top five in a senior event at the previous year's U.S. Championships.

(3) Winning a medal at the most recent Olympic Winter Games. (Sasha last year.)

(4) Winning a medal at the previous year's World Championships.

(5) Advancing to the current season's Grand Prix Final or Junior Grand Final. (This would be another option for Alissa. Blow off sectionals and hope to make the GP Final. :) )

(6) Earning an "international bye" based on proximity of an international assignment in the current season to the sectional championships.

I can't find a mention of the exact number of days covered in "proximity." But i think the idea is, you can't prepare for two competitions at the same time, rather than t find a loop-hole to let skaters skip sectionals.

Anyway, Alissa shpuld be fine. (But I hope she goes to Sectionals so I can drive to Ann Arbor and catch her performances. :love: )

ks777

Record Breaker
I never been a fan of Alissa but after watching her LP at skate canada, I am starting to like her, she is skating much faster with more in betweens. I always thought she was very slow and that was a big turn off. I hope she keeps improving on that.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The 3 Grand Prix events this year that give a U.S. skater/team a bye through Sectionals (November 9-13) are Cup of China, Skate America, and Cup of Russia. As of now, Czisny is listed on the roster of Midwestern Sectionals in Ann Arbor, MI (she received a bye through Eastern Great Lakes Regionals last month).

gold12345

Medalist
The 3 Grand Prix events this year that give a U.S. skater/team a bye through Sectionals (November 9-13) are Cup of China, Skate America, and Cup of Russia. As of now, Czisny is listed on the roster of Midwestern Sectionals in Ann Arbor, MI (she received a bye through Eastern Great Lakes Regionals last month).

Doesn't the USFSA realize that three competitions in the span of less than a month is not beneficial for an athlete who is trying to qualify for the Grand Prix Final (which would make it four competitions in less than two months)? Czisny cannot be expected to be competition ready every week. All skaters accomplished enough to receive two Grand Prix assignments should be automatically qualified to Nationals. It's not right that Musademba is already qualified just because she's assigned to Cup of China, but Czisny is not. :disapp:

It was also a joke that someone like Agnes Zawadski had to compete at Regionals even though she already has a bye through Sectionals. :rolleye: Having the skaters competing in events that are virtually meaningless to them is just pointless and possibly detrimental. And for the skaters who DO need to qualify at Regionals/Sectionals, I think they'd be happier as well to not see Czisny and Zawadski there swallowing up a podium spot.

Last edited:

ana

On the Ice
2009 U.S. champion Alissa Czisny loves ice cream, as long as it's chocolate. Czisny, who recently became a vegan, is learning how to cook and wants to take up more foreign languages.

What's your favorite movie?

I'm not a big movie person, but I'll say Finding Nemo, The Miracle and Pursuit of Happiness. Oh, and definitely Amelie.

How about book?

I love to read; I don't have any favorite book, though. I read all of the time, mostly biographies and non-fiction. I used to read a lot of fiction, but now I like reading stuff that's more relevant to what's going on [in my life]. Right now I'm reading Open by Andre Agassi.

What's on your iPod?

I like emo. I'm not a hard rock kind of person, or a rap kind of person. Meryl [Davis] and I have the same taste in music.

If you could eat anything, what would it be?

I love ice cream -- anything chocolate-y, not fruity.

When you're not skating, what do you like to do?

I'm learning how to cook -- I'm a vegan -- but I haven't gotten too far with that yet. I'm also trying to keep up my foreign languages. I took French in high school and college, and also Russian. I want to [improve] my Russian and next, I want to study Japanese.

Icenetwork News

strange. my link was delete automatically...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Well her being a vegan would explain why she's been looking so thin recently! I had no idea she was such an earthy, outdoorsy girl!