Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pairs - Short Program

Thanks for the play-by-play, Sequinsgalore.

Is it just me or did anyone else get a G&G vibe w/that young Russian team? They've obviously got things to work on, not a lot and mainly little things, but they are *very* impressive!!

It was after trying to figure out who they were *strongly* reminding me of for the first half, it hit me who!! Then in that interview, it really struck me the simliarities. Everyone said Katia was the boss of that team, even she has said it, and that comes across w/this young Russian pair too.

She is adorable and I loved just how much she wanted to make sure she got her point across in English. Also gained my respect as well for that. They are w/out a doubt a team to keep an eye on for the future and it's going to be fun too to see how they develop.

Not a bad first outing for Megan and Eric. Can't get over just how tall he is compared to her. I mean...He literally *towers* over her. However, that's a good thing for certain things. Such as lifts. That was another thing I couldn't get over this afternoon. Just how secure Megan looked up in the air for the lifts. I knew their lifts would be better than Megan's was w/Craig, just due to how literally Craig's shoulder was hanging together by a thread. I wasn't prepared for *how* much better they would be though and...Wow!! Can't wait to see what they have in store for us tomorrow in the LP.

Same w/the twist. It's so much better w/Eric and that's all due to the fact he has the power w/both shoulders being in great shape to give Megan that launch into the air she needs. I really think that once they get this first year and getting to "know one another" period over and done w/, then look out!! I see the potential everyone's gushing about and very much am looking forward to the ride they're going to be taking us on the next few years.

One major nitpick though...There is someone who is *very* Geographically Challenged at the CBC, as Scott Russell told all Megan's from Lively, which is close to North Bay. *snort* Not only is it *not* close to North Bay, but it's a suburb of Sudbury!!

Talk about your screw ups...Sheesh!!

Love both Kirsten and Dylan and Paige and Rudi"s programs. Both are brilliantly choreographed to not only make the skaters shine, but to also light up the crowd too. That last lift of Paige and Rudi is something else and if that's a taste to come tomorrow in the LP, I might need to watch it through my fingers as my hands cover my eyes. :wink:

Was also very much impressed by the young US team w/the huuuuuuuge throw and twist. Kurt said she gets so much hang time in the throw, she needs a parachute to help her land. Tracy mentioned also the potential for a quad throw was there and for once, I can buy that. We've heard so much hype about the quad throw over the years, but I think we finally have a pair who, like Shen and Zhao in their prime, has the height needed to get that fourth rev in there. JMO, of course. They also talked about the possiblity of them doing a throw triple axel tomorrow and hope they do go for it.

I miss throw axels and think it a shame that just because the majority of teams can only do doubles is the reason why it's not seen anymore. It's still a tough throw and I wish more would do them. Once again, JMO.

Can't wait for tomorrow!! For a Pairs event where so many teams were a mystery going in, it's certainly proven to be very entertaining.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    blue_..umm..I think they just didn't have much makeup on her, and she just has a sort of sallow complexion...She is tiny..hard to say if she's really underweight. I had a friend all through high school, who was about the same build , and just stayed that way for years..( we cursed her because it didn't matter what she ate.. or how much of it.. )

Custom Title
    I/M were great. I think this short is a great vehicle for them. I hope they can skate clean in the LP - it would be great for them. They are so inconsistent, but when they are on, they are truly the whole package. For their - and Bazarova/Larionov's - sake, I hope they make the GPF. Making Europeans and Worlds will be very, very hard. Given the scores their competitors got, I almost think they were underscored

Off-topic, but Russian Nationals might just be the best pairs competition this season. Kavaguti/Smirnov, Mukhortova/Blanchard, Volosozhar/Trankov, Bazarova/Larionov, Iliushechkina/Maisuradze, Gerboldt/Enbert, and possibly Stolbova/Klimov....lots of great teams. Shame only 3 will compete internationally. Russia really should have more spots in pairs, just like Japan in singles!

I really like Marissa Castelli. Unfortunately, I don't like her partner, Simon Shnapir. He seems very stiff and has a bad case of airplane arms. I almost wish she could skate with Rockne.

Lawrence and Swiegers were cute, but so cheesy. It's just not my style. A good skate, even if the 3Ts were a mess.

Not very impressed by Moore-Towers/Moscovitch or Duhamel/Radford...yet. I could change my opinion on the latter, because they are so new.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Is it just me or did anyone else get a G&G vibe w/that young Russian team? They've obviously got things to work on, not a lot and mainly little things, but they are *very* impressive!!
    I got it too! The moment the music started and the started skating, the first thing that came to my mind was, "that is so G &G", with the music, the position of their hands as well as the speed. They looked so fast from the video I was watching!

They look really good and so confident! I hope they continue to do well in the long program. I enjoyed watching them last season.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Peter Carruthers on Universal Sports thought Lubov reminded him a lot of Katia, too. He was really fangirling it up about I&M

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I really like Marissa Castelli. Unfortunately, I don't like her partner, Simon Shnapir. He seems very stiff and has a bad case of airplane arms. I almost wish she could skate with Rockne. .
    Simon's fighting a bad back, so the stiffness is not usual for him, I think. An interview with C&S just prior to Skate Canada from IN said:

"About two weeks ago, we found out Simon had a bulging disk," Castelli said. "He was off the ice for a little while. He had a cortisone shot on Monday, and he recovered fast and is feeling better. The doctor gave us the go ahead."

Shnapir waved off the injury, saying, "I'm past that. At this level, any athlete is going to have an injury of some sort. You have to manage them."
    The arms is another thing, though.

I've not really looked carefully at Pairs. I think the discipline's name should be changed to Ice Acrobatics, although Pang and Tong really don't make an issue of acrobatic tricks as most teams do. P&T are more in line with Pas de Deux. Unfortunately, these tricks get big points.

Custom Title
    So, of all pairs, Pang and Tong are balletic and don't really rely on the big tricks? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Peter Carruthers said the same thing - especially about her. Said she looked like her and skated like her.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3