Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Men - Short Program

Congrats to Reynolds for hitting the 2 quads in the SP, still don't like his skating.

Adam and Oda, oh my!! Both Adam and Oda skated clean, artistic and techinically
    superior programs. Bravo to them both.

Chan nothing much to say that has not already been said. I am still shaking my head over
    that score.

it's time like these that I wish for the mushing season... can't really dispute the winner there. first dog nose that crosses the finish line wins... *le sigh*

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    thanks for the pbp and discussion.

I am a huge fan of Chan's skating, and as soon as he started skating, I felt the quality of his skating clearly (imo) exceeded the other skaters (with Rippon very close). But I agree, three falls is well, three too many, and two too many to be in the 70s. I don't blame chan as he is not a judge; but I hope the judges really review this for future purposes, AND I hope the ISU decision makers do too as if a person can score so high with so many mistakes, it is going to make a lot of fans angry. Finally, I agree with other posters that this cannot be helping Chan improve - it really is the wrong message to send him. urgh.

Anyway, it was fun to watch some of these programs - i was happy for fernandez, really enjoyed Rippon and Oda too. Reynolds - wow, good for him, it made the sp very exciting to have his quads.
    I agree that some rules need to be fixed ( I thought the controversy is like every year, what should worth more and what should worth less etc).
    But if people think that once a skater make a few mistakes, might as well pack your bag and go home, it's silly. Sure Chan fell on the jumps, since fully rotated, he still earned a few marks...plus other elements that he's more superior than other skaters, those scores added up.
    Maybe they should change the rule, if u fall, your jump won't count, or only have 2 points...

Custom Title
    I might be in the minority, but when I watched Patrick's 3-fall skating, I noticed a significant improvement in his presentation, reaching out more to the audience. What I said to myself was Wow, what a skate if without the falls. The scoring system might be flawed, but I doubt if the judges or the skater himself were at fault with respect to the "over-score".

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Anyway. As it's not Patrick's fault that he was overscored, I wish him the best for the FS. I think HE knows he has to redeem himself even if the judges don't.

I really respect him for trying the quad, especially after being so blase last year about how he didn't need it.

Patrick needs to work on his poker face after mistakes. He always has that shocked expression and it always takes him a bit too long to recover. Especially if he keeps going for the quad this year, he needs to learn how to recover better if he falls on it.

Custom Title
    Well, I think everyone will have to skate for it in order to medal tommorrow...1,2,3 are fairly close with Chan in the mix because of his potential to post HUGE scores.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Don't you start in on the silliness too Toni. I meant if we are both in the same location, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Sure, you can ***** about the rules and the GOE and whatever....but no way it's Chan's fault with the mark. And it's the double standard here as well. People only see his bad skate and the high score...and usually overlooked the other quality he has. "I don't care how good he is, he fell" All people only focus on is "he fell". Duh, blame the rule and the GOE and other stuff.
    LOL. The problem is not that he fell. The problem is that he fell 3 times and gave a poor performance.

Look at what you just said - "people only see his bad skate and the high score"...so you're implying that a BAD skate which receives a HIGH score is not questionable?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnnn View Post
    What I meant was let's see if he was scored according to the system and system failed us, or he just got crazy unfair scores on the other non-jumping elements.
    You don't need to look at the protocol to know the system failed us. I knew from the very moment the new rules came out that they were bad. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

You also don't need look at the protocol to see he received unfair scores in non-jump areas either. He received the highest PCS for a Short Program that had 3 falls and was not a good performance.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 10-29-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Don't you start in on the silliness too Toni. I meant if we are both in the same location, obviously.
    If I don't keep it light I'll start ranting.

Custom Title
    I actually thought he recovered from the jumping mistakes pretty well this time and did not give us that poker face, except for his unexpected final fall during the foot-work, which was only a few seconds before the end pose. So, in my opinion, his performance was not sacrificed as badly as could have been.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    he scoring system might be flawed, but I doubt if the judges or the skater himself were at fault with respect to the "over-score".
    I too highly doubt if Patrick is at fault with respect to the overscoring, but I certainly think that the judges are at fault to some extent, even if the scoring system is flawed. The judges had no problem (rightfully, and thankfully) sticking Mao Asada down into 8th place when she bombed at NHK, you would think that would be possible here...

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I too highly doubt if Patrick is at fault with respect to the overscoring, but I certainly think that the judges are at fault to some extent, even if the scoring system is flawed. The judges had no problem (rightfully, and thankfully) sticking Mao Asada down into 8th place when she bombed at NHK, you would think that would be possible here...
    bingo, which means I'm not so quick to judge the system so much as those playing with it this weekend

and I don't think anyone blames Chan for the score.. just the poor skate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I think the difference here is that Chan rotated the jumps and somehow maintained a decent technicial score under the current system, which Mao failed to do.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post

I really respect him for trying the quad, especially after being so blase last year about how he didn't need it.
    You maybe kill him twice.

Custom Title
    I have to see the protocols but i have a feeling Chan did not get -3 GOE for his falls.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    thank you Doris for the details
    Bravo to Oda, happy to see him back and I liked his program, it looked effortless, I m not sure I got his music but anyway I like watching him skate, and great 3axel!He was so good hs program passed fast!
    I m also happy he is first because aside the two quads I dont like Kevin at all, he looks sloppy and like Flatt I think he skates to jazz things since forever, isnt there another music style for them to skate?
    I also dont get Rippon althougth all his elements are very good the total sum does nothing for me, I didnt get his choreo for RJ and he reminds me of a male Yuna in presentation, with worse crossovers...But he should have been first or second with that skate.
    Chan is really fast and smooth with fantastic edges and a level above the rest in this aspect but the Sp has required elements and he fell on everything there, his spins are not so good to set him apart, and it is the only thing he didnt fall. As he said he is a top level athlete this skate is not in the level of a top athlete, he lost concetration after quad attempt and it showed. He also skates for himself, I dont mean he is introverted like Abott that takes you in with him, or Lambiel, I just dont find any emotion there, it all looks choreographed.

I didnt like Gatchinksi cut of music and the pink gloves, great axel, the program is strange.
    I think from all night I liked Javier and Bertsson programs most.
    Last edited by seniorita; 10-29-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast