Men - Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heck with the Skate Canada title. Just give Patrick the Olympic gold right now, 3 and a half years before the Olympics. Why even contest it? This is beyond sickening! In the past at Worlds, he has made many jump mistakes in the LP without attempting the quad and he still has finished 2nd there twice. This overscoring is not only happening in Canada. Ship him all the gold medals and tell the other skaters "don't even try." What a disgrace to this sport and its participants. These judges and technical panel officials should be utterly ashamed of themselves. :disapp:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Chan will never learn to land that stuff until the judges stop rewarding him for stuff he doesn't land. The fall in the F/w should have cost him more, too.

sigrid

On the Ice
Can't believe the scores... Chan's marks are a joke.

Enjoyed Oda, Javi and Rippon quite a lot, and Reynolds was brave

Layfan

Record Breaker
Worth mentioning that Chan's TES were the fourth highest as well - but yeah - that seems obscenely high for a performance that.... well, won't go on his highlight reel.

Which is absurd, too. A fall in the middle of his footwork that it (understandably) took him forever to recover from...:disapp:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Chan will never learn to land that stuff until the judges stop rewarding him for stuff he doesn't land. The fall in the F/w should have cost him more, too.

I agree. They send messages to everyone else, why not him?

And the whole idea of Chan being a 'gifted skater' is only true in that the judges are always there to keep him up in the standings.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Not to defend Patrick Chan's score...but his quad and axel were fully rotated. So how does it work? I thought I heard PJ said that if you get fully rotated, you get the full mark, minus the fall? Maybe that's why his score's high?

Based on people here, it seems like most people only care about the jumps not the overall quality.

Figure88

On the Ice
Bravo Adam! Amazing performance.

The scoring in this competition is a little strange...Nobunari Oda should not be in first position and Patrick Chan should not be within medal contention.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Not to defend Patrick Chan's score...but his quad and axel were fully rotated. So how does it work? I thought I heard PJ said that if you get fully rotated, you get the full mark, minus the fall? Maybe that's why his score's high?

Based on people here, it seems like most people only care about the jumps not the overall quality.

Oh, come on. Normally I love Chan's skating and I'm one of those who thinks he deserves to beat the quad guys when he's on. but THREE falls? Even I can't shrug that off. I don't care if he fully rotated a quint attempt...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

No, I care about the over all quality of the program. Fully rotated or not, bubba fell THREE TIMES, once in footwork, it should be reflected in the marks and aside from the deductions it's not. There was no connection to the program - especially after the second and third falls.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I told you all the new -GOE grades were retarded.

Patrick received 6.3 points for falling on a Quadruple Toeloop. And that includes the 1 point deduction. A Quad that receives -3 GOE but doesn't actually have a fall (meaning you can double-foot the jump + step out of it + put both hands down on the ice) is worth 7.3 points.

Last edited:

Tanja90

On the Ice
I guess it's Patrick's birthday everyday, then.

:p

agree..never like him so much...I've seen it in torino and he was...well...saying that joubert gave me more emotion should explain it...however when I saw the two fall I was guessing: 34 for technical 50 for components...-3 points for the falls...so it went better then what I thought :D

Johnnnn

On the Ice
I feel sorry for Chan actually. Skate Canada has been throwing these crazy marks at him for a while and I don't think he likes it cuz it just turns people against him. It's not like he asked for it eh.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Which is absurd, too. A fall in the middle of his footwork that it (understandably) took him forever to recover from...:disapp:

I should state that I missed the skate. But the fact that he was fourth in the TES is what gives me pause. Usually when someone bombs technically like that, we see the TES plummet (Kostner at Worlds 09) but PCS remain relatively high. We didn't see that here. The GOEs he earned must have been insane (and probably overstated too).

Well, he fell on the footwork too. I think people would be (more) okay if it was only two falls or the third fall was also on a jump element. I think the system helps him quite a bit here, along with the judges. And it just seems that the overall quality wasn't there.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Oh, come on. Normally I love Chan's skating and I'm one of those who thinks he deserves to beat the quad guys when he's on. but THREE falls? Even I can't shrug that off. I don't care if he fully rotated a quint attempt...

That's exactly what I mean when I said people here only care about the jumps!
Based on the rule, if you are fully rotated, you get the points, isn't it? So how can you ignore that fact and then ***** about the scoring??
So if you get an axel fully rotated, how much does it worth?

janetfan

Match Penalty

I'm with you on that layfan. I am a fan of Patrick's skating. But that many mistakes in an SP does not deserve such a big score.

oleada

Record Breaker
I can see that Patrick is a good skater. But he fell three times! And no matter how good you are, the effect and presentation of a program are completely ruined when you bomb that bad. It's not like his "amazing" non jump elements where clean.

Rippon and Oda are also great basic skaters who spin well, so why don't they get the PCS bonus that Chan does? Shouldn't their clean programs with excellent jumps (which, in Oda's case, are quite significantly better than Chan's when landed), spins and steps get much higher PCS than Chan's bomb?

ranjake

Final Flight

Exactly. This (imo, only) was not a skate where QUALITY shone, at all. All of those falls just made it a big old mess. I don't get it. It was awful. He knew it was awful when he first finished. I just don't get it. What an insult to Rippon, Oda, and Reynolds. I can't believe Oda is a newly married Dad! He looks like such a baby!