Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 76

Thread: Dance - Short Dance

  1. #61
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,781
    It's really too late to be doing this..but just as a program, I liked C/z's best and I liked P/I's as well. I thought the waltz rhythm worked in their music. Too bad they had that slip up in such a devastating place. ( Scarboro people , please take note of costumes & hairstyles of both these couples..esp. the girls )

    Wow,it's really too late. I'll have to come back.

  2. #62
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    68
    C/P are very young in coparison with otehr top teams, just 19 and 20 years. Thei still have a lot of work to do in their conection and maturity but onetly this will come with time, not only in the future season but the current one once their confortable with their programs. They have a lot of room to grow and I think they know thta. Carol is a very smart coach and I'm sure she knows what to work with Vanessa and Paul.

    Kerrs, yes...very creative team and also very brave to go out there and present a program using such a modern song like Shut Up And Let Me Go. The firt part og the program was ok for me but the second part was very odd for me. The music cut is also very strange.

    In my opinion (just as sports fan and not as an expert) C/P shoul be in first.

  3. #63
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,799
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    C/P: It's a good vehicle for them, but I really do hope their expression grows. Technically, its so superior what the Kerrs can do - their timing, the choreography, the beauty of the movements. I'm fine with the fact that the Kerrs have higher PCS, but I'm glad C/P dominated them on TES. Looking forward to the FD - both teams will really have to bring it.

    I'm also glad that C/Z did well - I don't want them to get overlooked in the Z/S mix.
    So am I, their dance is excellent, tailored made for this SD, but Madison has to skate cleaner, she had a few wobbles. Is she a weaker skater than Zuerlain?

  4. #64
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,033
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I thought the Kerrs should have had a bigger lead over C/P. The Kerrs really sold their program and C/P merely skated theirs. That's why the Kerrs' PCS was so much higher than C/P's, and IMO it should have been even higher.

    C/P are technically excellent, but the whole is somehow less than the sum of its parts. They just don't seem to have a connection between them other than executing all the elements perfectly together. To me, they are slightly bland and sometimes more than a little boring.
    I could not have said it better myself.

  5. #65
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,456
    The Kerrs could win? Or at least medal? How lovely! (I say this without having seen any of the actual skating. Have to wait for YouTube, I guess. But I like their style.) Winning a JP event would be a first for them, wouldn't it? Fingers crossed!

  6. #66
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    The Kerrs could win? Or at least medal? How lovely! (I say this without having seen any of the actual skating. Have to wait for YouTube, I guess. But I like their style.) Winning a JP event would be a first for them, wouldn't it? Fingers crossed!
    Not a done deal. C/P are the real deal.

  7. #67
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    318
    My favorite costume for this event goes to Madison Chock. I love the understated quality of her dress that has that really beautiful peek of embroidered polka dots in the underskirt. So very French and evocative of the period the music came from.

    Just lovely.
    Last edited by missysays; 10-30-2010 at 06:29 PM.

  8. #68
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,750
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    C/P: It's a good vehicle for them, but I really do hope their expression grows. Technically, its so superior what the Kerrs can do - their timing, the choreography, the beauty of the movements. I'm fine with the fact that the Kerrs have higher PCS, but I'm glad C/P dominated them on TES. Looking forward to the FD - both teams will really have to bring it.

    I'm also glad that C/Z did well - I don't want them to get overlooked in the Z/S mix.
    Who are Z/S??

  9. #69
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Zueva/Shpilband. They've got Samuelson/Bates, Davis/White, Shibutanis AND Chock and Zuerlein under their guidance. I didn't want C/Z getting lost in that mix and after the Shibs debut on the GP, I'm afraid they might. S/B will have to work hard to catch up from his injury, if that's even possible, and I'm already depressed about that. Having another junior team that I kinda like get shunted aside would depress me further.

  10. #70
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,750
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Zueva/Shpilband. They've got Samuelson/Bates, Davis/White, Shibutanis AND Chock and Zuerlein under their guidance. I didn't want C/Z getting lost in that mix and after the Shibs debut on the GP, I'm afraid they might. S/B will have to work hard to catch up from his injury, if that's even possible, and I'm already depressed about that. Having another junior team that I kinda like get shunted aside would depress me further.
    Oh ok. I thought you were talking about an actual team. lol.

  11. #71
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,781
    I'm going to re-watch this tonight in preparation for tomorrow..But thinking ahead to skate America , where we'll see C/P and W/P head to head..C/P's program doesn't involve me the way W/P's did at NHK. Looks-wise , they're not even in the same ballroom . Katelyn's costume and hair say class from head to toe..and poor Vanessa needs a visit from the Good Costume Fairy. Why does she now have to look like she has a pointed head ? ( Oh, please get her a soft fluffy haircut that doesn't cover her neck. )

    Is C/P's program more difficult ? Is their execution better ? ( I ,too, found "Fallin'" got a bit monotonous as it went on..possibly because there's not a very strong connection between the skaters. I didn't think the fabulous lift was as effective as it might have been if it had been woven into the program. This way, it was like a fanfare before the dance began..kind of like the opening moves before a CD..I would have liked it better later in the dance. ( Still pretty nice, though. )

  12. #72
    Penny & Nick! La Rhumba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by L'amour View Post
    the SD is a little bit strange but how good is to not hear the same song for 30 times
    You never heard the same song for 30 times! Each CD had at least 4 or 5 different pieces of music (some noticeably very different) that were rotated throughout a competition or Championship. In the same rhythm, ofcourse.

    And LOL at the North American commentator who said that Lloyd Jones "is originally from Cardiff, England" !!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YGOsCO_SN8

    His French may've improved, but he's still a Welshman!

    Haven't seen any other performances, so cheers for all the reviews.

  13. #73
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    beautiful PEI
    Posts
    19
    Reply to NorthernDancer....I totally agree with you on the way they made vanessa crone look, Oh my God, change that hair somebody and who made that dreadfull dress, they should ask Amelie Lacoste to get her dressmaker to make vanessa's, please somebody out there help this poor girl,,,,,

  14. #74
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Is C/P's program more difficult ? Is their execution better ? ( I ,too, found "Fallin'" got a bit monotonous as it went on..possibly because there's not a very strong connection between the skaters. I didn't think the fabulous lift was as effective as it might have been if it had been woven into the program. This way, it was like a fanfare before the dance began..kind of like the opening moves before a CD..I would have liked it better later in the dance. ( Still pretty nice, though. )
    Yes = C/P's program was more difficult and the execution better. They're cleaner, more precise skaters and will win on GOEs head-to-head (if both clean). I think the one thing W/P have over them though is on ice chemistry. W/P are a very handsome couple andn they project a real sense of romance, sensuality and just a hint of carnality. C/P, despite skating together for a lot longer, have less chemistry (in that regard) and they don't seem to go out there and "entertain" - like W/P do. Choice of prograams (Phantom vs Pink Floyd/Orpheus and Eurydice; Moulin Rouge vs Eleanor Rigby) sorta confirms this for me. But I'll take precision as delivered by C/P every time.

    Weaver is really modelling herself too much on Bourne for me to give her much credit either.

  15. #75
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,781
    Thanks for replying Pogue , I hoped someone would know those were genuine questions. I thought W/P looked improved in the neatness dept. at NHK. I don't really know how great the tech difference is..if it's enough to keep C/P safely ahead in spite of their lack of expression and poor presentation. It doesn't leap out at me the way it might when we see them side by side.

    It's just torture to me to see they way they shove Vanessa out on the ice in one costume travesty after another. That SD costume ,on top of it's esthetic flaws , didn't even fit. I know they've been trying to work on expression. so far, I don't see great improvement , but I have a hard time seeing past her dreadful costumes.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •