Dance - Short Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dance - Short Dance

L'amour

On the Ice
that was soooo close. I prefer C/P. The Kerrs are very creative and inovative but I simply don't get most of tehir programs. I find their music combination very strabge.

jettasian

Match Penalty
I really love watching Paul Poirier! He creates such beautiful pictures on the ice with his wonderful posture and deep knee bends. Excellent skating skills! It doesn't hurt that he's totally gorgeous either! :love:

Not to metion he has gorgeous a$$ LOL

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
0.01? I lost my feed right when the Kerrs were about to go on. They were the ones I really, really wanted to see too.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Lol I thought Eleanor Rigby was supposed to be their SD, not their FD. That's why I said earlier they must have changed their music. My bad.

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm still wondering what Fallin' has to do with a waltz and what the music has to do with what C/P were physically doing on the ice. Don't get me wrong, they were smooth and technically good, but did they have any connection to the music at all? Not really, in my opinion.

The Kerrs were great. I've really hated the new SD format, and theirs was the first I've really enjoyed. IMO, they schooled C/P in terms of musicality, presence and maturity.

herios

Medalist
I really love watching Paul Poirier! He creates such beautiful pictures on the ice with his wonderful posture and deep knee bends. Excellent skating skills! It doesn't hurt that he's totally gorgeous either! :love:

They were glowing out there, they were gorgeous. and they mentioned on Bold today is Vanessa's birthday...Congratulaions!!!!:clap:

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I'm still wondering what Fallin' has to do with a waltz and what the music has to do with what C/P were physically doing on the ice. Don't get me wrong, they were smooth and technically good, but did they have any connection to the music at all? Not really, in my opinion.

The Kerrs were great. I've really hated the new SD format, and theirs was the first I've really enjoyed. IMO, they schooled C/P in terms of musicality, presence and maturity.

Schooled?? let's not exagerate. If you dislike C/P is fine, but your statement is over the top. Yes, that music is not a waltz, I agree, but let's not trash them.

Lovely to look at this SC Short Dance, but competitively, no surprises. I'm just wondering why Tibbets and Brubaker were scored so low? That German team was fun to watch. Were they doing a Svengali or a Coppelia like dance?

oleada

Record Breaker
Schooled?? let's not exagerate. If you dislike C/P is fine, but your statement is over the top. Yes, that music is not a waltz, I agree, but let's not trash them.

How is my statement trashing anyone?

I gave C/P their due. However, IN MY OPINION, they are lacking in emotional connection and connection to the music. The Kerrs are vastly superior in that regard. There seemed to be a disconnect between what C/P were doing on the ice and the music. Waltz and Fallin' just don't go together.

Tanith, who was commenting on Universal Sports, also felt there was a big difference in terms of maturity and personality on the ice between the Kerrs and C/P.

**Carol**

Rinkside
I don't understand how Kerrs got the first palce. I know C/P are a young team and have a lot of work to do but Kerrs SD for me is a huge mess. I also don't hava a clue why they are skating to Etta James and The Ting Tings. I parise them for using their creativity but I don't get this SD, very empty and soem crazy arm hand movmentos...and S posture is just bad.

herios

Medalist
How is my statement trashing anyone?

I gave C/P their due. However, IN MY OPINION, they are lacking in emotional connection and connection to the music. The Kerrs are vastly superior in that regard. There seemed to be a disconnect between what C/P were doing on the ice and the music. Waltz and Fallin' just don't go together.

Tanith, who was commenting on Universal Sports, also felt there was a big difference in terms of maturity and personality on the ice between the Kerrs and C/P.

Maturity I agree, presence and musicality...not so much. I found they interpreted very well the music and captured the audience. That is MY OPINION.

herios

Medalist
I don't understand how Kerrs got the first palce. I know C/P are a young team and have a lot of work to do but Kerrs SD for me is a huge mess. I also don't hava a clue why they are skating to Etta James and The Ting Tings. I parise them for using their creativity but I don't get this SD, very empty and soem crazy arm hand movmentos...and S posture is just bad.

I found thier dance completely disjointed. The mood created by the first dance ends very swiftly.

~tapdancer

On the Ice

I don't think oleada's post trashed C/P at all. I agree that the Kerrs were superior in terms of the musicality, presence and maturity. I can see that C/P have improved a lot but they are still a dull pair to me, with little connection. I didn't like their SD music at all, either. We can agree on the technical aspects of a program, but when it comes to the presentation, everyone has their own opinion about that. Sometimes you just have an intangible reason for not particularly liking a skater(s).

Oh, and C/P captured the audience? They are Canadians, skating at Skate Canada. Don't think that was going to be a difficult task for them. ;)

Last edited:

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
My unprofessional opinion:

Arnold/Trojek: I think they suffered the consequences of no ISU ranking coming into the competition, unknown and starting first; shoud have finished a spot higher with something like 48 points; looked a little nervous

Frohberg/Giesen: had no real connection between them and was slow and plodding; interesting idea, but not a fan of the result

Paul/Islam: she is BEAUTIFUL; but the program was not perfect; saw this program before, and like it better now than before, though still not my favourite (why can't a waltz be a waltz instead of a tango?)

Tibbetts/Brubaker: he is much better than she is; really nice knee action and skating with the music, but the program was just not skated well

Carron/Jones: I found this very unexciting, very repetitive; it was well skated, and they looked good, but just didn't absorb me at all

Gorshkova/Buitikov: for the life of me can't figure out what those costumes were all about; distracting; just ho hum, and didn't stand out

Chock/Zuerlein: actually really liked this program; musicality and "look" of the program was really good, and looked like a team, but technically not as good as the top 2 or 3; you can really see the Shpilband/Zueva quality in that program

Crone/Poirier: this was VERY well done, much better than I saw a month ago; really like the clever choreography, and very well skated; but will someone PLEASE do something about Vanessa's dress and hair? Seriously, she is a gorgeous young woman, and deserves to look like one, especially for a waltz and to that music. Let her hair down with soft styling to keep the hair out of her way but still look feminine. The "do" was so severe. And the dress did nothing at all for her - the cut was all wrong for her figure. Unflattering. Just terrible. It seems to be an ongoing problem with Scarboro teams. They need a new seamstress, especially for the young women. Paul, well, he looked just fine, as well noted by others here.

Kerr/Kerr: ok, they look more mature, but then again, they are more mature than anyone else out there; skating was good and solid, and they have connection, but I really didn't like the abrupt change in the music, and the program was disjointed (again, why can't a waltz just be a waltz?); I'd have put Crone/Poirier ahead of them, but I guess that would have been tough to take; can't tell me 0.01 difference doesn't have politics involved in some way or another!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought the Kerrs should have had a bigger lead over C/P. The Kerrs really sold their program and C/P merely skated theirs. That's why the Kerrs' PCS was so much higher than C/P's, and IMO it should have been even higher.

C/P are technically excellent, but the whole is somehow less than the sum of its parts. They just don't seem to have a connection between them other than executing all the elements perfectly together. To me, they are slightly bland and sometimes more than a little boring.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I thought the Kerrs should have had a bigger lead over C/P. The Kerrs really sold their program and C/P merely skated theirs. That's why the Kerrs' PCS was so much higher than C/P's, and IMO it should have been even higher.

C/P are technically excellent, but the whole is somehow less than the sum of its parts. They just don't seem to have a connection between them other than executing all the elements perfectly together. To me, they are slightly bland and sometimes more than a little boring.

ITA.
I didn't like C/P program at all, though they skated to one of my favorite songs. And her posture is just awful. But I really like the Kerrs and their dance!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
C/P: It's a good vehicle for them, but I really do hope their expression grows. Technically, its so superior what the Kerrs can do - their timing, the choreography, the beauty of the movements. I'm fine with the fact that the Kerrs have higher PCS, but I'm glad C/P dominated them on TES. Looking forward to the FD - both teams will really have to bring it.

I'm also glad that C/Z did well - I don't want them to get overlooked in the Z/S mix.