Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 76

Thread: Dance - Short Dance

  1. #46
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,767
    Lol I thought Eleanor Rigby was supposed to be their SD, not their FD. That's why I said earlier they must have changed their music. My bad.

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,041
    I'm still wondering what Fallin' has to do with a waltz and what the music has to do with what C/P were physically doing on the ice. Don't get me wrong, they were smooth and technically good, but did they have any connection to the music at all? Not really, in my opinion.

    The Kerrs were great. I've really hated the new SD format, and theirs was the first I've really enjoyed. IMO, they schooled C/P in terms of musicality, presence and maturity.

  3. #48
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    But man that Fallin' song gets awfully repetitive.
    I love that song - in a bar. It got repetitive for a skating performance. I liked their program, though.

  4. #49
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,799
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I really love watching Paul Poirier! He creates such beautiful pictures on the ice with his wonderful posture and deep knee bends. Excellent skating skills! It doesn't hurt that he's totally gorgeous either!
    They were glowing out there, they were gorgeous. and they mentioned on Bold today is Vanessa's birthday...Congratulaions!!!!
    Last edited by herios; 10-29-2010 at 08:53 PM.

  5. #50
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,799
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I'm still wondering what Fallin' has to do with a waltz and what the music has to do with what C/P were physically doing on the ice. Don't get me wrong, they were smooth and technically good, but did they have any connection to the music at all? Not really, in my opinion.

    The Kerrs were great. I've really hated the new SD format, and theirs was the first I've really enjoyed. IMO, they schooled C/P in terms of musicality, presence and maturity.
    Schooled?? let's not exagerate. If you dislike C/P is fine, but your statement is over the top. Yes, that music is not a waltz, I agree, but let's not trash them.

  6. #51
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Lovely to look at this SC Short Dance, but competitively, no surprises. I'm just wondering why Tibbets and Brubaker were scored so low? That German team was fun to watch. Were they doing a Svengali or a Coppelia like dance?

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,041
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Schooled?? let's not exagerate. If you dislike C/P is fine, but your statement is over the top. Yes, that music is not a waltz, I agree, but let's not trash them.
    How is my statement trashing anyone?

    I gave C/P their due. However, IN MY OPINION, they are lacking in emotional connection and connection to the music. The Kerrs are vastly superior in that regard. There seemed to be a disconnect between what C/P were doing on the ice and the music. Waltz and Fallin' just don't go together.

    Tanith, who was commenting on Universal Sports, also felt there was a big difference in terms of maturity and personality on the ice between the Kerrs and C/P.

  8. #53
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    72
    I don't understand how Kerrs got the first palce. I know C/P are a young team and have a lot of work to do but Kerrs SD for me is a huge mess. I also don't hava a clue why they are skating to Etta James and The Ting Tings. I parise them for using their creativity but I don't get this SD, very empty and soem crazy arm hand movmentos...and S posture is just bad.

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,799
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    How is my statement trashing anyone?

    I gave C/P their due. However, IN MY OPINION, they are lacking in emotional connection and connection to the music. The Kerrs are vastly superior in that regard. There seemed to be a disconnect between what C/P were doing on the ice and the music. Waltz and Fallin' just don't go together.

    Tanith, who was commenting on Universal Sports, also felt there was a big difference in terms of maturity and personality on the ice between the Kerrs and C/P.
    Maturity I agree, presence and musicality...not so much. I found they interpreted very well the music and captured the audience. That is MY OPINION.

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,799
    Quote Originally Posted by **Carol** View Post
    I don't understand how Kerrs got the first palce. I know C/P are a young team and have a lot of work to do but Kerrs SD for me is a huge mess. I also don't hava a clue why they are skating to Etta James and The Ting Tings. I parise them for using their creativity but I don't get this SD, very empty and soem crazy arm hand movmentos...and S posture is just bad.
    I found thier dance completely disjointed. The mood created by the first dance ends very swiftly.

  11. #56
    D/W fan ~tapdancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Schooled?? let's not exagerate. If you dislike C/P is fine, but your statement is over the top. Yes, that music is not a waltz, I agree, but let's not trash them.
    I don't think oleada's post trashed C/P at all. I agree that the Kerrs were superior in terms of the musicality, presence and maturity. I can see that C/P have improved a lot but they are still a dull pair to me, with little connection. I didn't like their SD music at all, either. We can agree on the technical aspects of a program, but when it comes to the presentation, everyone has their own opinion about that. Sometimes you just have an intangible reason for not particularly liking a skater(s).

    Oh, and C/P captured the audience? They are Canadians, skating at Skate Canada. Don't think that was going to be a difficult task for them.
    Last edited by ~tapdancer; 10-29-2010 at 09:17 PM.

  12. #57
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    347
    My unprofessional opinion:

    Arnold/Trojek: I think they suffered the consequences of no ISU ranking coming into the competition, unknown and starting first; shoud have finished a spot higher with something like 48 points; looked a little nervous

    Frohberg/Giesen: had no real connection between them and was slow and plodding; interesting idea, but not a fan of the result

    Paul/Islam: she is BEAUTIFUL; but the program was not perfect; saw this program before, and like it better now than before, though still not my favourite (why can't a waltz be a waltz instead of a tango?)

    Tibbetts/Brubaker: he is much better than she is; really nice knee action and skating with the music, but the program was just not skated well

    Carron/Jones: I found this very unexciting, very repetitive; it was well skated, and they looked good, but just didn't absorb me at all

    Gorshkova/Buitikov: for the life of me can't figure out what those costumes were all about; distracting; just ho hum, and didn't stand out

    Chock/Zuerlein: actually really liked this program; musicality and "look" of the program was really good, and looked like a team, but technically not as good as the top 2 or 3; you can really see the Shpilband/Zueva quality in that program

    Crone/Poirier: this was VERY well done, much better than I saw a month ago; really like the clever choreography, and very well skated; but will someone PLEASE do something about Vanessa's dress and hair? Seriously, she is a gorgeous young woman, and deserves to look like one, especially for a waltz and to that music. Let her hair down with soft styling to keep the hair out of her way but still look feminine. The "do" was so severe. And the dress did nothing at all for her - the cut was all wrong for her figure. Unflattering. Just terrible. It seems to be an ongoing problem with Scarboro teams. They need a new seamstress, especially for the young women. Paul, well, he looked just fine, as well noted by others here.

    Kerr/Kerr: ok, they look more mature, but then again, they are more mature than anyone else out there; skating was good and solid, and they have connection, but I really didn't like the abrupt change in the music, and the program was disjointed (again, why can't a waltz just be a waltz?); I'd have put Crone/Poirier ahead of them, but I guess that would have been tough to take; can't tell me 0.01 difference doesn't have politics involved in some way or another!

  13. #58
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,546
    I thought the Kerrs should have had a bigger lead over C/P. The Kerrs really sold their program and C/P merely skated theirs. That's why the Kerrs' PCS was so much higher than C/P's, and IMO it should have been even higher.

    C/P are technically excellent, but the whole is somehow less than the sum of its parts. They just don't seem to have a connection between them other than executing all the elements perfectly together. To me, they are slightly bland and sometimes more than a little boring.

  14. #59
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I thought the Kerrs should have had a bigger lead over C/P. The Kerrs really sold their program and C/P merely skated theirs. That's why the Kerrs' PCS was so much higher than C/P's, and IMO it should have been even higher.

    C/P are technically excellent, but the whole is somehow less than the sum of its parts. They just don't seem to have a connection between them other than executing all the elements perfectly together. To me, they are slightly bland and sometimes more than a little boring.
    ITA.
    I didn't like C/P program at all, though they skated to one of my favorite songs. And her posture is just awful. But I really like the Kerrs and their dance!

  15. #60
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    C/P: It's a good vehicle for them, but I really do hope their expression grows. Technically, its so superior what the Kerrs can do - their timing, the choreography, the beauty of the movements. I'm fine with the fact that the Kerrs have higher PCS, but I'm glad C/P dominated them on TES. Looking forward to the FD - both teams will really have to bring it.

    I'm also glad that C/Z did well - I don't want them to get overlooked in the Z/S mix.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •