Honda has withdrawn from NHK | Golden Skate

Honda has withdrawn from NHK

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Takeshi Honda has withdrawn from the NHK Trophy event due to an ankle injury. I will be speaking with him again this evening and will post more details as to the injury as soon as possible.

The ISU and Japanese Federation have already been informed, so they may make an official statement as well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wish Takeshi a speedy recovery so that he is OK for Worlds.
I hate to see any skater injured.

On the point of one person's cloud is another's sunshine, Tim and van der Perren can't be totally sad: this improves Tim's chances to sneak into that last GPF final spot and van der Perren's chances of staying in are looking quite good!

dpp

This season has been plagued with illness and injuries. Takeshi is doing well to the Warsaw Concerto. It's a nice routine and covers the requirements of the CoP. But that's fate stepping in. Hope nothing is more serious than a sprain and he gets back in the Japanese Nats and Worlds.

Joe

fuzzball0611

Spectator
Wow, I think Matt & Baboo's luck just stepped up a notch.

Sasha Abt too :)
:cry: though I do love Takeshi also

I also have a question, because Skate America was Takeshi's Non Scoring Comp. can he use those points from SA now that he has withdrawn from NHK. And still make it to the final? :confused:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On Nov 11, he was practicing his long and was doing well, landed quad, etc. When he did the triple Lutz-triple toe, he overroated his landing (landing sideways on the inside edge), and then went down, hitting his knee.

"I was in so much pain I couldn't get up," said Honda. "I just laid on the ice while coach(es) skated around for a few minutes and talked to me. The pain was so bad that I though I might have broken my leg."

When he finally got up, he tentatively glided around the ice for a few minutes. Then the skate started to feel tight. "I knew it was swelling," he said. "By the time I got of the ice, I couldn't put any pressure on my right foot."

He went home that day thinking it was another bad sprain. He had some ART (Active Release Treatment), Ultrasound Therapy, and accupuncture done over the course of the next week to alleviate pain. X-rays showed negative.

He recently found out that he has a mid-grade tear in the anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament (located under the outside ankle bone). The knee hurts as well, but it's hard to say as the pain from the ankle is overwhelming his entire leg. "I don't think I did anything (serious) to my knee," he said.

He's seems to be in "ok" spirits, but at this point, he's in too much pain to think about what and when his next competition will be. Right now, he's just trying to make it up and down the stairs.

On a side note, he wants to thank his fans for hanging in there with him, and for the support they have been showing him. He hopes to debut a new, fun and jazzy exhibition this season (choreographed by Kurt Browning).

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope he gets well soon!

Thanks for the timely report, GSK8, even though it is bad news. This is a tough sport. I don't know why we don't see snkle injuries all the time in figure skating. Every time you jump you have to land with your full weight supported by a bent ankle -- ouch! Honda must really have been inpain if his ankle hurt so much that he couldn't tell whether he had broken his kneecap or not! Best wishes for a full recovery to Takeshi.

Hi, Fuzzball0611. Welcome to the Forum. I hope you like it here.

No, Takeshi cannot use his points from his non-scoring event, so he's out of the running for the Grand Prix final.:cry: I think that they should do away with the "non-scoring event" anyway. I understand the rationale -- the ISU wants the top people in every event to appeal to live and television audiences. But what kind of a sport mixes "ringers" in with the "real" competitors whose scores actually count? If they got rid of the non-scoring events we could see more of the rising stars.

Mathman

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Mathman said:
No, Takeshi cannot use his points from his non-scoring event, so he's out of the running for the Grand Prix final.:cry:
Mathman,

Do you know what rule that is? Is it a change from previously? The only reason I ask is that I seem to remember that years ago Todd Eldredge was in the same situation where he had to withdraw from a scoring event after having skated two others (one of which was a non-scoring event) but then made it to the final when he was allowed to make his non-scoring event count. Of course, my memory could be failing me :confused:

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Herm, I'll try to research that. I hope that your memory is failing, LOL, because if they allowed that, then every skater that did well in an early non-scoring event could just withdraw from a later event and head straight to the finals, which defeats the whole idea of the "non-scoring" event.

Mathman

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sometimes it just works out that way--Michelle made it into the GPF last year on one event. Maybe that's what happened with Todd. And there is still a chance Tim may make it in on one event.

I don't like the nonscoring event thing because it perferentially allows the top skaters to skew the competition if they want to.
1. They can skate the competition to be sure someone they regard as close competition doesn't get needed points (by winning)
2. They can avoid the competition to make sure that someone they could easily beat gets more points.

I think it is better to avoid this appearance of favoritism.

dpp

SkateCynic

Rinkside
shine said:
Woooooohooooooo!!!! GO MATT SAVOIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Nice display of schadenfreud :rolleye: It's in the utmost of tastelessness to take happiness and joy in someone's misfortune or injury. I hope the almighty skate gods are listening, Shine.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Oh what a bummer. I hope Takeshi gets well soon and takes care of himself! Too many injuries again this year. :cry:

shine

Record Breaker
SkateCynic said:
Nice display of schadenfreud :rolleye: It's in the utmost of tastelessness to take happiness and joy in someone's misfortune or injury. I hope the almighty skate gods are listening, Shine.
Am I missing something here? :confused: And what exactly do you want the skategods to listen to?

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Sad to hear that. He had a great start at Skate Canada. I hope he will be on the mend soon.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the report about Takeshi! Very sad to hear that he has gotten an injury. Let´s hope that he will be able to participate in Worlds though.

Takeshi is one of the skaters whose skating I have enjoyed to watch during many years.

I seem to remember that Eldredge was allowed to participate in GPF although he had points from one scoring and a non-scoring event (because he had to withdraw from his second scoring event). As far as I remember it was in 1996-1997 or 1997-1998 season? It very probably was the latter because I was thinking at that time about Russians who got only two 1998 Olympics spots bcause Urmanov had to withdraw (groin injury) from Worlds 1997 after having won the short programme. Anyway, I definetely remember that Eldredge did not get into the GP Finals because of one win. In those days 12 points was not enough.

Marjaana

Last edited:

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
Can't wait to see his new exhibition. I hope he does whatever necessary so that his knee heals completely, but hopefully we will see him at Worlds at least. But recovery comes first. Get well, Takeshi :)