Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Pairs - Free program

Custom Title
    Lubov is definitely a stah! So adorable. With Jessica and Bryce out for the season, it opens up the National title for new champions to be crowned. I think that Dylan & Kirsten are the front runners especially if they skate like that.

I think the Russians didn't have much connection with the music. The moves didn't even seem to go with it at times. I'm not surprised it was that close with the 2nd-place Canadians. I love Kirsten and Dylan now. I'd only seen them like once before. Paige and Rudi are pretty good too. I feel bad for Meaghan and Eric, but they are a new team and should improve. Somehow they don't seem to fit together though. I don't know exactly what it is.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think the Russians didn't have much connection with the music. The moves didn't even seem to go with it at times. I'm not surprised it was that close with the 2nd-place Canadians. I love Kirsten and Dylan now. I'd only seen them like once before. Paige and Rudi are pretty good too. I feel bad for Meaghan and Eric, but they are a new team and should improve. Somehow they don't seem to fit together though. I don't know exactly what it is.
    My guess is that Meagan is not artistic enough for him. I also have doubt about her jumping consistancy. She also looks a bit heavy as a pair skater. But if they can get the jumps done and get a triple twist, there is still hope.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Thank you Tigger and rain. Just watching the PVR of the pairs, and SO impressed with KMT and Dylan. So proud of them, and how much they have improved over the season. Couldn't happen to nicer people, either. They were truly the class of the field on this day. I/M are great, but had more mistakes than KMT/Dylan today - throw jump, spin, out of sync spins, element that didn't count, end timing, lack of connection. It's also exciting that there are 3 up and coming Canadian teams that will push each other over the next few years.

What really struck me about some of the programs today and yesterday is that dance coaches/choreographers are putting together pairs programs. KMT/Dylan already have great connection with each other, and a spark on the ice. If the concern is connecting steps and complexity, KMT/Dylan have a great solution at home. KWSC is a centre for high performance dance.
    Thank YOU northern and to Tigger and rain asw well for the sane posts. I am long time member at GS, but am not posting a lot either, because I find way to many fans here over the top, both ways is adoration and hatred. I am hanging out a lot more on another skating fan forum, where I don't see so much subjectivity.
    And yeah, what is unbelievable, that whenever some canadian fronrunner teams are retiring, new teams which were completely overlooked are coming out of nowwhere and keep the world class pair program going.
    I was shocked yesterday by T-M /M with their LP. And so was David Pelletier. And that is a good sign!They could fill in the space left by Dube / Davison for sure.
    And you are right, working with ice dance choreographers could do wonders for a pairs team to stand out with a program, mostly because the vast majority look usually like a string of eleme3nts. There so much stuff demanded by the system to rack up the points, that is very little room left to showcdase anything else. The ice dance choreographers seem to find a way to add little touches which can separate their programs of the pack.
    Last edited by herios; 10-31-2010 at 05:30 AM.

The Russians deserved their win. They were the best in a ho hum competition.

The Russians deserved to win, but I don't think they were great. They are so young and she is cute, they should skate to something fresh and not those havy overused musics. They migth have a great future ahed of them but I wish they bring to their skating more personality.

Custom Title
    I agree that Lubov/Nodari need to work on their connection to each other, but it's not like the Canadians were better in this regard. In terms of skating skills, posture, line, flow, etc - the Russians were in a completely different level than the Canadians. Upon rewatching, the Canadians didn't seem much faster either. I stand by my statement that the PCS for them is too high.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Agree, it is good to see Eric back again - and he does remind a little of Stephane Lambiel. Also really like the Russian girl. But does anyone else think she looks a little anorexic? There are naturally thin people, but she looks a little too thin IMHO.
    I did think she looked skinnier than she usually does, and I'm not one to normally notice these things. Hopefully it's just a result of good eating/exercising habits rather than anything extreme. Extreme dieting can come back to bite you long-term, so hopefully she's keeping herself healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by hongligl View Post
    My guess is that Meagan is not artistic enough for him. I also have doubt about her jumping consistancy. She also looks a bit heavy as a pair skater. But if they can get the jumps done and get a triple twist, there is still hope.
    Her skating itself is somewhat clunky and heavy looking maybe, but she is petite and short. She has that weird wrapped leg/loose air position on many of her elements, and I'm assuming her wonky technique is a main reason why she's never done a triple twist. As for the jumping consistency, they are attempting really hard SBS jumps, especially for a girl. Pair teams in general are inconsistent jumpers, so I don't think it's a big deal.
    Last edited by gold12345; 10-31-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I give Meaghan all the credit in the world for working as hard as she has to improve so much since first being paired with Craig..but I don't know how much farther she can go. I know they're looking at this as a long term proposition , but I'm not sure she can ever equal his line.

It's strange how these pairings occur..It just makes me wonder..if he and Jessica Dube were ever at loose ends at the same time and if they ever tried out together.

No,no..this is not bad wishes for either of their partners..It's just that often there has been a lot of behind the scenes shuffling and what-iffing..I just wondered...

Medalist
    Iliushechkina / Maisuradze
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3bNJ6Sb2B4
    Lubov is really exquisite. They need to work on their spins and avoid silly mistakes like on the spiral sequence and finishing after the music.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    I did think she looked skinnier than she usually does, and I'm not one to normally notice these things. Hopefully it's just a result of good eating/exercising habits rather than anything extreme. Extreme dieting can come back to bite you long-term, so hopefully she's keeping herself healthy.

Her skating itself is somewhat clunky and heavy looking maybe, but she is petite and short. She has that weird wrapped leg/loose air position on many of her elements, and I'm assuming her wonky technique is a main reason why she's never done a triple twist. As for the jumping consistency, they are attempting really hard SBS jumps, especially for a girl. Pair teams in general are inconsistent jumpers, so I don't think it's a big deal.
    I Know they are trying the most difficult sbs jumps. She had been trying that with her old partner way back, and I don't remember ever seeing them succeeded. If that is what she counts on, I seriously doubt the possibility of sucess. If she is looking foreward to 2014, it would make more sense to work on her lines and basics as well as artistry to match his. To be honest, Eric looks so good that he makes her look even worse than she really is. No offense, I have no hard feeling at all with Meagan, but I don't see this pair partnership going too far. I even don't know Eric before Skate Canada, but he stood out so much he's the only person that I remember by name among all the new pairs in this competition. I really wish them well, but we'll see.

Custom Title
    The problem is that a lot of girls look poor beside Eric Radford. This is his third partner in as many seasons. And if you've noticed, Cody Hay is also taking a long time to find a partner. I do wonder if he'll even find one with enough time to put himself w/ her as a contender for Sochi (for the team).

Quote Originally Posted by hongligl View Post
    I Know they are trying the most difficult sbs jumps. She had been trying that with her old partner way back, and I don't remember ever seeing them succeeded. If that is what she counts on, I seriously doubt the possibility of sucess.
    Megan and Ryan Arnold are in the record books for being the first Pairs Team ever landing SBS Triple Lutzes at 05 Canadians in London and they were beauties!!

Personally, I think they need to work w/someone different for Choreography. I didn't care for the majority of the programs Juile Marcotte gave Megan and Craig and that feeling continues w/this Season w/Eric. Although, the LP does have potential for maybe being the exception to that w/me.

Still...It always seems that Megan and her partners get stuck w/this heavy duty music from Julie and it just does not suit them at all!! There's so much stuff out there that's both powerful and not so plodding/heavy sounding that's there's just no excuse for it, but it keeps happening for some reason.

Sad too, as I feel it was a disservice to Megan and Craig and now to Megan and Eric.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L'amour View Post
    The Russians deserved to win, but I don't think they were great. They are so young and she is cute, they should skate to something fresh and not those havy overused musics. They migth have a great future ahed of them but I wish they bring to their skating more personality.
    Yes, bad music choices in both programs screamed stereotypical russian pair. They were head and shoulders above the rest of the field though. Amazing how after only one summer russia has their gold medalists for pairs and dance all lined up .

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6