Pairs - Free program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs - Free program

smia

Rinkside
There is always an advantage when you skate in you own country...for everyone, not just Canadians. If you truly think that the judging is corrupt, you might as well stop watching figure skating. Besides, the Russians won. If we wanted to fix the scores, you'd think that they'd do the math and have the Canadians pull off an upset.
True, the "home ice bonus" happens to a certain degree in every country but it's most blatant in Canada...

herios

Medalist
All the scores here seemed high especially compared to how the judges scored NHK. I just don't see how M-T/M scores could be so close to Pang/Tong from NHK. Or how the scores from the 2nd and 3rd place teams could be so high compared to teams competing at NHK. Shouldn't the complex point system make it easier for scores to be somewhat consistent from event to event?

About M-T/M high scores, I am not sure what you were watching. They had two high risk lift at the end of the program, very well done, David Pelletier said these are extremely difficult to do. They transitioned their great twist right into the sbs 3 t and sbs 2a. Those are called TRANSITION as far as I know, component of the PCS mark.
And by the way, the russians are great skaters, but as far as connectivity to each other, wasn't there all the time.

oleada

Record Breaker
There is always an advantage when you skate in you own country...for everyone, not just Canadians. If you truly think that the judging is corrupt, you might as well stop watching figure skating. Besides, the Russians won. If we wanted to fix the scores, you'd think that they'd do the math and have the Canadians pull off an upset.

But did M-T/M deserve the scores they get? Not at all.

There's always bias in figure skating, but no GP event blatantly holds up its own skaters like Skate Canada does every year. When Mao bombed at NHK, she wasn't gifted a huge score and kept in the running. She was marked for what she did.

ETA: BTW, Peter Carruthers agreed that M-T/M's PCS were propped up because they were skating in Canada.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
Except - not really. They had a fall in the SBS jumps. They're very rough around the edges, not a great connection and had NO choreography. Their posture, flow and skating skills were leagues below I/M. Which makes the PCS so hard to understand. Nothing was particularly outstanding, but the crowd got really behind them.

I agree, scores were definitely high... M-T/M skated well and got the crowd behind them, but they are rough. The scoring is sometimes weird in Canada for the Canadians. Who knows why since it's an International judging panel. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

At the same time, I don't think I/M presented their program particularly well either.. They don't have a very good connection to each other, and at times, it seemed like they were just going through the motions trying to get the elements done (which is understandable since they are a young, often inconsistent pair). They were a little shaky and could work on selling the program better.

Considering how weak this field looked coming in, I was happy to see some decent skating, and the potential of I/M is obvious. They have plenty to work on, but this is the best I've ever seen them skate (and I've never seen her land jumps like this). She looked SO happy coming off the ice and in the kiss and cry once they found out that they had won. Not only their first win, but their first GP medal.

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
Congrats to the two Canadian teams and the Russians! I hate to disagree with everyone here, but while I absolutely love the Russians and agree that they should have won, they have almost no connection between them, which definately hurts their PCS. They're a great team, but they need to have a bit more of a spark if they want to raise that second mark.

Finally, a post that is calm and not hysterical and actually is about what happened out on the ice today.

I love this new Russian team and can't wait to see how they develop, *but*...They had an element they didn't get credit on, plus their Combo Spin was a bit clunky going into it and a bit too busy w/all of the changes they did. Add in little things here and there and it's not a shock it was as close as it was. Also and as skatingfan04 said, the charm of yesterday was not there today. It was very business like, w/no expression and next to nothing when it came to the two of them relating to each other. Both David and PJ said that was the one weakness they really have and need to really work on because, as David said, they looked like two single skaters out there doing their own thing most of the time instead of the Pairs Team they're supposed to be.

Kirsten and Dylan had an amazing program, it looked like a mid season skate and not an early one. The early promise they showed us last year at SC in Kitchener was no fluke and they've come leaps and bounds the past year. They also *skated* as a pair, as well as having a combo spin that goes in both directions and a lift where Dylan also rotates in both directions and those moves are also in the last half of the programs. No only would those be, I'm guessing Level 3, but would also get the bonus marks. They were cleaner, crisper and if Kristin hadn't missed that throw last night in the SP, they very well could have won.

Mark Pilay did an amazing job w/their programs this year. Not only do both programs bring out the best in Kristin and Dylan, but also brings us out there w/them. Awesome job by Mark for them!!

Congrats as well to Paige and Rudi on their first GP medal!!! So great for them.

Thanks as well to our two Pairs for the lovely Birthday present their Podium places has provided. :biggrin:

And now...I'll just sit back and wait for the gutter posts I competely expect to come. Some of you really need to grow up, as these...

Well...Of course there's two Canadian pairs on the Podium and it was so close, it's Skate Canada in Canada after all...

Is not only childish, but digusting and insulting as well. Give it a rest.

Last edited:

LisaS

On the Ice
Well said Tigger. I thought the Canadians were better then the Russians today. Some people just like to complain about Canadians in Skating in Canada. The Russians were sloppy, the combo spin was slow, their side by side spins were out of unision, the first throw mistake. I guess the mistakes don't matter to those who like to ***** and moan about the scoring.

zandor

On the Ice
There's always bias in figure skating, but no GP event blatantly holds up its own skaters like Skate Canada does every year. When Mao bombed at NHK, she wasn't gifted a huge score and kept in the running. She was marked for what
she did. +1

roemerr

Rinkside
About M-T/M high scores, I am not sure what you were watching. They had two high risk lift at the end of the program, very well done, David Pelletier said these are extremely difficult to do. They transitioned their great twist right into the sbs 3 t and sbs 2a. Those are called TRANSITION as far as I know, component of the PCS mark.
And by the way, the russians are great skaters, but as far as connectivity to each other, wasn't there all the time.

I think you misunderstood my point. I totally agree that M-T/M demonstrated excellent and difficult lifts. I think they totally deserve their placement. I was trying to say that overall numbers were much higher here then at other competitions. Not just for pairs, but they seem high i all the events. I really enjoyed watching the pairs and the men's event. I am looking forward to the ladies event.

herios

Medalist
I think you misunderstood my point. I totally agree that M-T/M demonstrated excellent and difficult lifts. I think they totally deserve their placement. I was trying to say that overall numbers were much higher here then at other competitions. Not just for pairs, but they seem high i all the events. I really enjoyed watching the pairs and the men's event. I am looking forward to the ladies event.

The pairs event turned out a lot better than I thought it would. Most likely, the canadian second tier teams, M-T/M and L/S worked their butts off through the summer, as they knew there is a lot of room on the team due to Langlois and Buntin's retirement. They must have had another extra kick with Dube and Davison out and seized the moment.
The russians were quite a nice surprise as I have not seen them before. Very talented, but as many mentioned here, they need to work on conectivity. The men event also was excellent. When your
When someone like Grachinski is 7th with all those jumps (not much in between, but still), and as many quads landed and attempted, you know it was a good one.
But ladies, don't bet on that. I hope I am wrong, but they usually are abysmal.Keep your fongers crossed.

MissCleo

On the Ice
I agree with herios. this comp turned out better than expected. the programs to Avatar, Les Mis, and Van Helsing were all pretty clever and had interesting choreo. I'm glad that none of the top 4 teams did not waste their time in the limelight.
Error free pairs long are hard to come by, so I'm not that disappointed that there wasn't a squeaky clean program this afternoon.

rain

Record Breaker
Finally, a post that is calm and not hysterical and actually is about what happened out on the ice today.

I love this new Russian team and can't wait to see how they develop, *but*...They had an element they didn't get credit on, plus their Combo Spin was a bit clunky going into it and a bit too busy w/all of the changes they did. Add in little things here and there and it's not a shock it was as close as it was. Also and as skatingfan04 said, the charm of yesterday was not there today. It was very business like, w/no expression and next to nothing when it came to the two of them relating to each other. Both David and PJ said that was the one weakness they really have and need to really work on because, as David said, they looked like two single skaters out there doing their own thing most of the time instead of the Pairs Team they're supposed to be.

Kirsten and Dylan had an amazing program, it looked like a mid season skate and not an early one. The early promise they showed us last year at SC in Kitchener was no fluke and they've come leaps and bounds the past year. They also *skated* as a pair, as well as having a combo spin that goes in both directions and a lift where Dylan also rotates in both directions and those moves are also in the last half of the programs. No only would those be, I'm guessing Level 3, but would also get the bonus marks. They were cleaner, crisper and if Kristin hadn't missed that throw last night in the SP, they very well could have won.

Mark Pilay did an amazing job w/their programs this year. Not only do both programs bring out the best in Kristin and Dylan, but also brings us out there w/them. Awesome job by Mark for them!!

Congrats as well to Paige and Rudi on their first GP medal!!! So great for them.

Thanks as well to our two Pairs for the lovely Birthday present their Podium places has provided. :biggrin:

And now...I'll just sit back and wait for the gutter posts I competely expect to come. Some of you really need to grow up, as these...

Is not only childish, but digusting and insulting as well. Give it a rest.

I almost didn't bother to contribute to anything in the Skate Canada threads because of all the horrible anti-Canadian vitriol that seems to be all over the place about every single one of the Canadian competitors, whether they finished 1st, 4th or 7th.

But I did want to comment on Moore-Towers/Moscovitch. They've come so far in a year. I honestly couldn't really remember who they were before this competition. That was a breakthrough performance. Their lifts were just jaw-dropping, and I was also very encouraged to see the quality of their throws, side-by-side jumps, and triple twist. They could have a very bright future. I thought they fully deserved to win the FS, though I was not disappointed to see the Russians take it overall, since they had a clearly superior SP and a respectable long.

All in all, I enjoyed this pairs event a lot more than I was expecting, though I didn't think any of the pairs displayed the "pairness" and maturity of the top ranked teams. But there's a lot there to build on.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Thank you Tigger and rain. Just watching the PVR of the pairs, and SO impressed with KMT and Dylan. So proud of them, and how much they have improved over the season. Couldn't happen to nicer people, either. They were truly the class of the field on this day. I/M are great, but had more mistakes than KMT/Dylan today - throw jump, spin, out of sync spins, element that didn't count, end timing, lack of connection. It's also exciting that there are 3 up and coming Canadian teams that will push each other over the next few years.

What really struck me about some of the programs today and yesterday is that dance coaches/choreographers are putting together pairs programs. KMT/Dylan already have great connection with each other, and a spark on the ice. If the concern is connecting steps and complexity, KMT/Dylan have a great solution at home. KWSC is a centre for high performance dance.

hongligl

Final Flight
The person impressed me the most is Meagan Duhamel's new partner Eric. He had such great presence on the ice that he reminded me of Stephane Lambiel. I believe Eric has the potential to be a great pair skater. He was actually outshune Meagan IMO.
Love the Russian girl! She's so delightful and a great "showman". Love the three canadian pairs too! Very fresh and great potential. The american pair was good too, big tricks. This turned out to be a quite exciting competition.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG, I totally love Lubov! She has such exquisite lines and beautiful carriage! Their win is completely deserved! So happy for I/M!! :love::yay:

I am also very impressed with the strength of Moscovitch . . . that dead lift at the end of the program was incredible! :love:

Last edited:

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Agree, it is good to see Eric back again - and he does remind a little of Stephane Lambiel. Also really like the Russian girl. But does anyone else think she looks a little anorexic? There are naturally thin people, but she looks a little too thin IMHO.

mystichaze

On the Ice
Lubov is definitely a stah! So adorable. With Jessica and Bryce out for the season, it opens up the National title for new champions to be crowned. I think that Dylan & Kirsten are the front runners especially if they skate like that.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think the Russians didn't have much connection with the music. The moves didn't even seem to go with it at times. I'm not surprised it was that close with the 2nd-place Canadians. I love Kirsten and Dylan now. I'd only seen them like once before. Paige and Rudi are pretty good too. I feel bad for Meaghan and Eric, but they are a new team and should improve. Somehow they don't seem to fit together though. I don't know exactly what it is.

hongligl

Final Flight
I think the Russians didn't have much connection with the music. The moves didn't even seem to go with it at times. I'm not surprised it was that close with the 2nd-place Canadians. I love Kirsten and Dylan now. I'd only seen them like once before. Paige and Rudi are pretty good too. I feel bad for Meaghan and Eric, but they are a new team and should improve. Somehow they don't seem to fit together though. I don't know exactly what it is.

My guess is that Meagan is not artistic enough for him. I also have doubt about her jumping consistancy. She also looks a bit heavy as a pair skater. But if they can get the jumps done and get a triple twist, there is still hope.

herios

Medalist
Thank you Tigger and rain. Just watching the PVR of the pairs, and SO impressed with KMT and Dylan. So proud of them, and how much they have improved over the season. Couldn't happen to nicer people, either. They were truly the class of the field on this day. I/M are great, but had more mistakes than KMT/Dylan today - throw jump, spin, out of sync spins, element that didn't count, end timing, lack of connection. It's also exciting that there are 3 up and coming Canadian teams that will push each other over the next few years.

What really struck me about some of the programs today and yesterday is that dance coaches/choreographers are putting together pairs programs. KMT/Dylan already have great connection with each other, and a spark on the ice. If the concern is connecting steps and complexity, KMT/Dylan have a great solution at home. KWSC is a centre for high performance dance.
Thank YOU northern and to Tigger and rain asw well for the sane posts. I am long time member at GS, but am not posting a lot either, because I find way to many fans here over the top, both ways is adoration and hatred. I am hanging out a lot more on another skating fan forum, where I don't see so much subjectivity.
And yeah, what is unbelievable, that whenever some canadian fronrunner teams are retiring, new teams which were completely overlooked are coming out of nowwhere and keep the world class pair program going.
I was shocked yesterday by T-M /M with their LP. And so was David Pelletier. And that is a good sign!They could fill in the space left by Dube / Davison for sure.
And you are right, working with ice dance choreographers could do wonders for a pairs team to stand out with a program, mostly because the vast majority look usually like a string of eleme3nts. There so much stuff demanded by the system to rack up the points, that is very little room left to showcdase anything else. The ice dance choreographers seem to find a way to add little touches which can separate their programs of the pack.

Last edited: