Men - Free program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Men - Free program

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I used to be a fan of Chan. His overscoring has ruined it for me. I want skaters to be judged fairly, even the ones I like to watch.

Well, let's be fair. If Patrick was overscored, he himself had nothing to do with that.

jan

On the Ice
Actually the judges were quite generous with the GOE for ODA's
quad. As well there were very generous with some of the scoring for Rippon's jumps. They were generous overall.

lavender

Record Breaker
Yes, Elena and Anton didn't deserve their Olympic gold in 2002 due to the smallest of a mistake, so a protest is filed to force a Canadian pair to win a shared gold medal. A home land guy falls 4 times and has many sloppy landings and beats out a Japanese man who only fell once, and all is fine and dandy. All justice is lost. This game is UGGGHHHHHLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

IMO Elena and Anton are THE only gold medal winners in pairs that Olympics and this coming from someone who really enjoyed the Canadian's skate.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well, let's be fair. If Patrick was overscored, he himself had nothing to do with that.

The problem is when you are the most overscored skater in the history of figure skater as Patrick Chan is you at the very least are not entitled to ever complain about other skaters scores. And he has done that. So he deserves all the backlash and negativity he gets, every bit of it.

wallylutz

Medalist
Even though the judges are an international panel, I think Skate Canada must administer hypnosis or send out mafia style threats upon the judges' entry into Canada that last for the duration of the competition. I mean how else can you explain this?!!!

:rolleye:

I think GS ought to do something about all this nastiness.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
What is sad is that because Chan is given gifts every time he skates, it does effect the way I feel about him as a skater. I like to see fair judging. Why doesn't Mao get the huge benefit that Chan recieves? Because Mao doesn't, I actually cheer for her all the more, where as, I hope Chan gets beat because I know it takes alot to beat him.

jan

On the Ice
In response to
"We're not accusing him, more the judges who give him a free pass on bad landings and FALLS, of all things... -1 only for a fall in a step sequence? "

Acutally he was probably at a +2 up to that point so a -1 is probably fair.

seniorita

Record Breaker
try to see his interview after the end.

Fernandez was robbed with a beauty of quad, no falls neither in sp and lp and far more entertaining programs

Phobiamaster856

Rinkside
im a patrick fan but i really thought Nobunari Oda deserved the win....low moment for our sport....Patrick was shaky throughout his program and shouldn't have won the technical mark....arggg!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
By the way Radio Canada commentary was awful, they were mocking skaters and coaches, bring Scott Hamilton back.

I know you meant this tongue in cheek, but it'd be hard for RC to bring him back when he's not French Canadian (or Canadian at all) ;)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the broadcast, Gannon and Weiss said that Chan told the audience that this competition is the best moment of his life. I would be embarrassed to accept the gold medal with such disgraceful performances if I were in his skates. I would honestly give Oda the gold out of shame for how poorly I did.

Tanja90

On the Ice
In response to
"We're not accusing him, more the judges who give him a free pass on bad landings and FALLS, of all things... -1 only for a fall in a step sequence? "

Acutally he was probably at a +2 up to that point so a -1 is probably fair.

well...if he was at a +2 it would questionalble too...fot that step seq? he was quite slow and nothing special IMO...even takahashi didn't get +2 if I'm not wrong...so the -1 is riddiculus as everything else...

Figure88

On the Ice
OMG....this is so wrong. What a turn-off to the sport for figure skating fans. Both Adam & Nobu were probably so intimated after Chan's scores that probably ended up making mistakes they normally wouldn't have made. (Noticed that Adam's skating looked a bit off--much slower than usual and jumps not there.) I felt so sorry that Adam had to skate after Chan.

mystichaze

On the Ice
Another win for the anointed one! Let the Chan Era begin!!!111!!!1111 I can't wait until he retires so I can enjoy Men's skating again.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG....this is so wrong. What a turn-off to the sport for figure skating fans. Both Adam & Nobu were probably so intimated after Chan's scores that probably ended up making mistakes they normally wouldn't have made. (Noticed that Adam's skating looked a bit off--much slower than usual and jumps not there.) I felt so sorry that Adam had to skate after Chan.

I think this same thing happened to Jeremy Abbott at the Olympics in the SP skating right after Evan Lysacek's outrageous score.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, I'm defensive about Chan as a rule. Some of the comments thrown at him during the run-up to the Olympics were extremely nasty. And yeah, this bashing of Skate Canada/Canada in general really sets me on edge (particularly reference to the SLC Olympics. My understanding was that the confrontation with the French judge and her subsequent admission that she was pressured to vote the way she did is what triggered the filing of the protest. This fact seems to elude everyone who agrees with the result). And I love watching him even when he is flawed.

But, even examining the protocols, I'm not convinced he deserved the TES he got. I was already unconvinced about the PCS. My earlier comment was that the short program was more outrageous score wise, but I may be wrong there (the judges were forced to mark him correctly on two elements: the quad and the triple axel).

I skipped the interview at the end, seniorita. I want to remain a fan of Chan.