Men - Free program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Men - Free program

jan

On the Ice
I think if people actually study the scores they will see how it added up. So people are saying that 8 of 9 judges are way off in their judging of the PCS scores and the GOE scores? 8 of 9 judges are favouring a Canadian over an American or Japanese. This would not happen.
Chan actually got downgraded on one of his combos but really picked up his scores on spins and footwork . And let us not forget he did land a quad. So lets all study the marks and then comment. Maybe the system is at fault.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Artistry

On the Ice
Chan has never had manners. His words at the interview are outrageous! He's so full of himself. Imagine Asada saying something like this after a bombed SP and tons of scratchy ugly landings in the LP...
One thing is for sure: the common-sense idea of RELATIVE judging, where each skater is scored RELATIVE to others in the same program event is dead. Can you imagine someone with such an SP winning under the 6.0?
I remember when one slip up on one jump was enough to put, let's say, Plushy behind Yagudin... those were the days...

I really struggle now: I enjoy watching good skating, but it is torturous to see marks WAY OUT OF LINE with actual performances. When is this going to stop? Is our only outlet angry posts on boards? We'll all cool off
and nothing will change. No letters, no protests... I've never liked Chan's skating, but after this SP and LP, plus his words off the ice for the last year and including today - I just give up... He totally turns me off as a person.

Phobiamaster856

Rinkside
patrick got +3 from 8 judges on his second footwork sequence.....
but in his defense the judges were a bit generous with the top skaters GOE's

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't even begin to accept that this is how this sport should be judged. When competitions turn out this way, it is terrible for the sport, terrible for the skaters, and terrible for the fans. How anyone in their right mind can watch this competition from beginning to end with all the skaters who competed and understand how the outcome came about just blows my mind. It makes no effing sense to me at all!

burntBREAD

Medalist
No, it garners a loss of GOE of three points. Check the same document. Look at jumps. A fall on a jump is marked as "GOE -3." A fall on a step sequence is "-3" - meaning that it must drop it from your initial score and that it cannot be 0.

Wait, where? The only place I see GOE -3 is for the first two, and under fall it just says "-3" (this is in the table near the end of the document), is there another place that says something else?

EDIT: I mean "GOE -3" for fall on a jump, not the fall in a step sequence

jan

On the Ice
patrick got +3 from 8 judges on his second footwork sequence.....
but in his defense the judges were a bit generous with the top skaters GOE's

So 8 judges have rigged the competition?? They must be seeing the quality as do I. This is coming from someone who is a huge fan of Oda's.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought Oda won - but Patrick skated a pretty good LP. He did have a couple of scratchy landings but there is something really grand about his skating.

Anyway - it's just a GP event and the judges like Patrick's skating. I like it too and think he is almost great. If he ever gets his jumps as good as the rest of his skating he will be untouchable.

Phobiamaster856

Rinkside
well waht about the quality of takahashi and abbott's footwork at NHK last week....IMO far superior and neither got such credit from the judges

BigJohn

On the Ice
Chan has never had manners. His words at the interview are outrageous! He's so full of himself. Imagine Asada saying something like this after a bombed SP and tons of scratchy ugly landings in the LP...
One thing is for sure: the common-sense idea of RELATIVE judging, where each skater is scored RELATIVE to others in the same program event is dead. Can you imagine someone with such an SP winning under the 6.0?
I remember when one slip up on one jump was enough to put, let's say, Plushy behind Yagudin... those were the days...

I really struggle now: I enjoy watching good skating, but it is torturous to see marks WAY OUT OF LINE with actual performances. When is this going to stop? Is our only outlet angry posts on boards? We'll all cool off
and nothing will change. No letters, no protests... I've never liked Chan's skating, but after this SP and LP, plus his words off the ice for the last year and including today - I just give up... He totally turns me off as a person.

Hum... I'm sure it felt good to let that out, but it is ridiculous to bring up 6.0 as an example of a fairer system, and also you turn me off as a person because of that last post.

brightphoton

Medalist
I am gonna stop buying Orijen dog food from now on!

Are you on the wrong website?

What is with all this Chan hate? First of all, he had a few shaky landings, but overall his skating quality was quite good. Second, he's not giving marks to himself. Why blame the Patrick for something out of his control?

I like this kid. He's cheeky and fun, and he skates well too.

Artistry

On the Ice
No, it's actually not ridiculous at all, BigJohn. It's a debate that is yet to be settled. Such events as what we have seen today perfectly illustrate this fact.
As far as me turning you off - that's really personal and irrelevant to the conversation. I'm not here to be liked, I'm here to share my thoughts on this sport.
I also try to avoid talking about other posters personally, but rather attempt to focus on figure skating analysis and opinion.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think anything was overly wonky in the free. Chan's score in the short, definitely was out there, but LP I am fine with. I'm not a huge Rippon or Chan supporter. They're nice to watch but it's not my cup of tea. I really like Oda, and had Chan not had the gift he did in the SP we'd have the outcome so many want.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't think anything was overly wonky in the free. Chan's score in the short, definitely was out there, but LP I am fine with. I'm not a huge Rippon or Chan supporter. They're nice to watch but it's not my cup of tea. I really like Oda, and had Chan not had the gift he did in the SP we'd have the outcome so many want.

Chan winning the free isn't that big of a deal, but the amount he won the free is questionably. He had some scratchy jumps that still got postive GOE.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Chan winning the free isn't that big of a deal, but the amount he won the free is questionably. He had some scratchy jumps that still got postive GOE.

considering the olympic champion's LP in Vancouver, I don't see that as being too weird.