Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Men - Free program

Mashimaro on Ice
    Well, at least he always provides some entertainment for us.

I don't think anything was overly wonky in the free. Chan's score in the short, definitely was out there, but LP I am fine with. I'm not a huge Rippon or Chan supporter. They're nice to watch but it's not my cup of tea. I really like Oda, and had Chan not had the gift he did in the SP we'd have the outcome so many want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I don't think anything was overly wonky in the free. Chan's score in the short, definitely was out there, but LP I am fine with. I'm not a huge Rippon or Chan supporter. They're nice to watch but it's not my cup of tea. I really like Oda, and had Chan not had the gift he did in the SP we'd have the outcome so many want.
    Chan winning the free isn't that big of a deal, but the amount he won the free is questionably. He had some scratchy jumps that still got postive GOE.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I think this same thing happened to Jeremy Abbott at the Olympics in the SP skating right after Evan Lysacek's outrageous score.
    Evan Lysacek was skating at 2010 Worlds as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Chan winning the free isn't that big of a deal, but the amount he won the free is questionably. He had some scratchy jumps that still got postive GOE.
    considering the olympic champion's LP in Vancouver, I don't see that as being too weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    considering the olympic champion's LP in Vancouver, I don't see that as being too weird.
    But its not right. Higher GOE on his scratchy jumps than Oda? No. No. No.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistry View Post
    No, it's actually not ridiculous at all, BigJohn. It's a debate that is yet to be settled. Such events as what we have seen today perfectly illustrate this fact.
    As far as me turning you off - that's really personal and irrelevant to the conversation. I'm not here to be liked, I'm here to share my thoughts on this sport.
    I also try to avoid talking about other posters personally, but rather attempt to focus on figure skating analysis and opinion.
    Why not try to avoid talking about skater's personality then? And not talk about really personal and irrelevant to the conversation stuff like you being turned off by Chan?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    But its not right. Higher GOE on his scratchy jumps than Oda? No. No. No.
    You seem to ignore Oda's scratchy 4 toe also got no negative GOE at all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Wait, where? The only place I see GOE -3 is for the first two, and under fall it just says "-3" (this is in the table near the end of the document), is there another place that says something else?
    It's how it's worded - and I might be wrong, but it's worth exploring. I noticed it last season too (for Chan as well)

Sometimes it says "-3." I've presumed that to mean that from whatever score you would have given it without the fall, deduct three points. The added point would be that it must be a negative GOE (ie. -1, -2, -3). However, there are times when a GOE of -3 is automatic. Like in the short program - if you don't land any combinations, your first non-axel jump is automatically saddled with a GOE of -3. (Mao Asada's sp at worlds 07 is the first that comes to mind). That's marked as "G.O.E. -3"

I presume that's how to read it.

The reason I mention this is because check the protocols for last year's worlds and look at Chan's LP. He fell on the 3Lo, but ONE judge gave him a GOE of -2. Or even check it with this event. Reynolds fell once, but several judges gave him -2 GOE. Diane Szmiett fell three times at NHK, but there's only two elements in which all the judges gave her -3. Now (here's the bit that's problematic)... I cannot find evidence for this for non-Canadian skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    This is great!

What a boost for Chan's confidence: if he lands his jumps, he will not be beaten. Good job here.
    And if he has the same judging panel behind him, they'll hold his scores, yay!!!

Custom Title
    LOL @ the dog food comment. Y'all are some funny peeps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    You seem to ignore Oda's scratchy 4 toe also got no negative GOE at all.
    Yes, but Oda's scratchy 4T also didn't receive any positive GOE either (except from one judge, which didn't make a difference in the end).

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    LMAO, best comment of the thread.

oh it has nothing to do with Canada or Chan, it's just too expensive and I can't afford it.. and my puppy doesn't seem to care for it!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    He did have a couple of scratchy landings.
    actually 5 plus a fallI know you can count well since Olympics!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    It's how it's worded - and I might be wrong, but it's worth exploring. I noticed it last season too (for Chan as well)

[...]

I cannot find evidence for this for non-Canadian skaters.

For your information, a fall does not lead to an automatic -3 GOE in most cases. Instead of wasting time on conspiracy theories, I think it would be helpful to read up on the rules, which are public information
    Last edited by wallylutz; 10-30-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast