Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Free Program

Down With It
    And not a bad debut by Agnes Z. Not the best freeskate but then again, some slack can be cut given it was the debut. However, that said- I still don't see what's so great about her- she does seem to have large jumps though, but that's about all I could see.

Gilles, well, can't get much worse than that. To finish last in a field as underwhelming as that...wow. Again, though, better to bomb now than later.

Custom Title
    Great for Alissa. So happy for her. Alissa is a just appreciate the moment. Can't get your hopes up but you always wish the best for.

Look how great Alissa looks without boot covers.
    Last edited by lavender; 10-30-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Great for Alissa. So happy for her. Alissa is a just appreciate the moment. Can't get your hopes up ...
    Yeah, unfortunately not...and especially not for Alyssa!

Still, anything like this is encouraging for our ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    And not a bad debut by Agnes Z. Not the best freeskate but then again, some slack can be cut given it was the debut. However, that said- I still don't see what's so great about her- she does seem to have large jumps though, but that's about all I could see.

At the moment Agnes will have to live and die with her jumps. The first thing I would say is that it's surprising she is supposedly training a 3A and had a shaky 2A in her SP and fell on it in her LP.

But she has some presence on the ice, has a decent line and flexibilty and her spins are OK. She is slow, but looks pretty athletic and her speed may get better.

Like Christina she is a late bloomer and her senior debut went as well as most of our more seasoned Ladies have done the past few seasons.
    It might have been nerves tonight and hopefully her next event will show progress.

Tonight was Alissa's night and as a longtime fan of her skating I am really happy for her.
    Despite some of the anti-Canada grumbling going on I am sure Alissa feels much differently about our great neighbor to the North.

Makes me wonder if we should have sent Alissa to Vanouver last February
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-30-2010 at 09:53 PM.

I'm glad Alissa won. She skated a really nice program. It's too bad the winner couldn't be clean, but oh well. I thought they were gonna put Ksenia ahead of her, honestly. I'm happy for Amelie to win her first GP medal (I think this is her first?) but sad for Cynthia. I'm also sad for Fumie. She really is a shadow of her former skating self. I was mad that people were down on her continuing skating, but now I see what they meant. She looked totally dispassionate out there, too. Valentina Marchei is pretty good. I'd never seen her. It's too bad they said she suffers from 'nerve problems.'

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Makes me wonder if we should have sent Alissa to Vanouver last February
    I'd say Flatt and Nagasu did well enough for themselves, thanks

Custom Title
    I'm still not seeing what's so great about Ksenia or Agnes. I'm trying though.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I'd say Flatt and Nagasu did well enough for themselves, thanks
    Fourth place from Mirai against a field with Yuna, Mao and Joannie was pretty good.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-30-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Congrats Alissa on your new international competition personal bests for Free skate and Final score. Interestingly, the last two that she broke were also set at Skate Canada. Her Short program ISU personal best, set at Skate Canada 2009 is 63.52.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Ksenia Makarova's LP is unfortunate. She's skating to the same music as Kiira Korpi this season, but her music cut is not nearly as good. The choreography isn't either and that's even without the Blades-of-Passion updates to Korpi's program that she will be incorporating later in the season.

I'm SO happy to see the improvement in Alissa's skating. Her Triple Toeloop is much bigger now and her Loop is improving as well. Her Lutz and Flip already saw improvement to the takeoffs a couple years ago, those haven't really changed (and could still be better), but they seem to be getting more consistent which is great!

Her new programs are actually not that great IMO (I love the placement of the 3Loop in the LP, though, the way the music gets completely quiet and all we hear are the takeoff and landing edges of the jump) but it's great to see the maturity, flow, and positions from her that are lacking from most everyone else.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    LOOOOOOOOOL, Amelie Lacoste. She took nearly the exact structure of Michelle Kwan's Scheherazade program and formatted it to her own CoP abilities. She even does a Triple Flip in the same haunting spot of the music as Kwan did.

It's sad how one of Michelle Kwan's "weaker" programs is still choreographically and interpretively better than almost anything we've seen under the CoP rules up to this point.

Resultingly, Amelie's borrowed CoP Kwan program is choreographically better than the majority of other CoP programs. Good on her.

Custom Title
    Why was Phaneuf looking so angry in the KnC after her FS. She seemed to be furious at her score. Was she annoyed that the judges didn't hold her up the way they did Patrick?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    At the moment Agnes will have to live and die with her jumps. The first thing I would say is that it's surprising she is supposedly training a 3A and had a shaky 2A in her SP and fell on it in her LP.
    Not surprising at all. The timing for a 3A is completely different from that for a 2A, and working on the harder jump sometimes has the effect of disrupting the timing for the easier one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Why was Phaneuf looking so angry in the KnC after her FS. She seemed to be furious at her score. Was she annoyed that the judges didn't hold her up the way they did Patrick?
    The mens event was so corrupt (and the Canadians in general so overscored here) I wouldnt be surprised if all the Canadian entries were gauranteed inflated scores and results before the event even started. Cynthia probably was indeed surprised to get the scores they actually deserved, and probably was dissapointed to not be held up blatantly like most of her teammates, especialy Chan. Maybe the judges could already sense the negative buzz after the mens event and decided to pull back on their original plans to gift a weak performance by Phaneuf withs all 8s and 9s in PCS.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast