Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Free Program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The mens event was so corrupt (and the Canadians in general so overscored here) I wouldnt be surprised if all the Canadian entries were gauranteed inflated scores and results before the event even started. Cynthia probably was indeed surprised to get the scores they actually deserved, and probably was dissapointed to not be held up blatantly like most of her teammates, especialy Chan. Maybe the judges could already sense the negative buzz after the mens event and decided to pull back on their original plans to gift a weak performance by Phaneuf withs all 8s and 9s in PCS.
    Um, guys, time to take off the tin hats and point the antennae towards another planet....

Cynthia was indeed not looking happy in the K&C, but it was probably due to disappointment at her own performance (like any other skater in her position would feel).

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Cynthia was indeed not looking happy in the K&C, but it was probably due to disappointment at her own performance.
    Agreed, but there's no denying the politics Skate Canada employs.

Down With It
    To me, she seemed more disappointed at her own mediocre performance. Of course, if she'd skated her FS like she did her SP, they'd have given her 120+ to ensure the victory over Czisny.

Custom Title
    Congratulations Alissa! Nice win!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The mens event was so corrupt (and the Canadians in general so overscored here) I wouldnt be surprised if all the Canadian entries were gauranteed inflated scores and results before the event even started. Cynthia probably was indeed surprised to get the scores they actually deserved, and probably was dissapointed to not be held up blatantly like most of her teammates, especialy Chan. Maybe the judges could already sense the negative buzz after the mens event and decided to pull back on their original plans to gift a weak performance by Phaneuf withs all 8s and 9s in PCS.
    Oh fer cryin' out loud ...

Re: the Canadians allegedly being told they were getting inflated scores (alleged by one poster on here, that is), Chan was the only one who actually did get inflated scores. I don't know why - maybe the judges are seeing something live that we're not seeing from the television (although I know some people on this board HAVE seen Chan live, me too, except like five years ago). I don't think the pairs really were overscored, nor the dancers in the SD, or Kevin Reynolds and Jeremy Ten.

Banned
    The pairs were overscored too. The Canadian pair that nearly won last night would not have gotten a score of nearly 120 points with a big fall and a couple other close landings anywhere else. They are not that good yet.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Re: the Canadians allegedly being told they were getting inflated scores (alleged by one poster on here, that is), Chan was the only one who actually did get inflated scores. I don't know why - maybe the judges are seeing something live that we're not seeing from the television (although I know some people on this board HAVE seen Chan live, me too, except like five years ago). I don't think the pairs really were overscored, nor the dancers in the SD, or Kevin Reynolds and Jeremy Ten.
    agreed. I dont believe its a national bias as much as a chan bias. Reynolds and Ten were scored fairly. Or maybe in the case of reynolds sp unfairly since the judges basically told him chan was better with three falls than he was with his two quads.

It was nice to see Alyssa keep her composure throughout her skate. She truly is an excellent skater. As with Fernandez and the Men, Alyssa had a clean skate with no partial negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Agreed, but there's no denying the politics Skate Canada employs.
    Interesting comment. It makes me think of the power of the BIG Federations over the little ones. How many skaters - not from a big fed - have actually won or even podiumed in a competition. Lambiel, Yuna, and that wonderful dance team from Bulgaria, and who else?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Interesting comment. It makes me think of the power of the BIG Federations over the little ones. How many skaters - not from a big fed - have actually won or even podiumed in a competition. Lambiel, Yuna, and that wonderful dance team from Bulgaria, and who else?
    WORLDS:
    Pairs: Kovarikova/Novotny (CZE)--gold and Siudeks (POL)--bronze in the 90's.
    Dance: Rahkamo/Kokko (FIN)--silver and bronze in the 90's. Also Drobiasko/Vanagas (LTU)--bronze and Denkova/Stavisky (BUL)--full set in the 00's
    Ladies: Lepisto (FIN)--bronze last year of course.
    Men: can't think of any

EURO's:
    Men: Barna (CZE)--gold sometime in the 90's. VanderPerren (BEL)--couple of bronzes fairly recently
    Ladies: Czako (HUN)--silver or bronze sometime in the 90's. Sebestyen (HUN), Poykio (FIN), Meier (SUI), Lepisto (FIN) all on the podium in the 2000's. ADD: Elene G (GEO) too, 2010!
    Pairs: K/N and Siudeks--ditto above timeframes.
    Dance: D/S, can't think of anyone else.

4CC:
    Ladies: Malinina (UZB)--gold in the late 90's. And Yuna of course.

Can't think back before the 1990's right now. And I guess you can add some Ukrainians into this list, if you call them a smaller federation. You're right that it is a small list. But of the smaller federations, there have been more ladies getting somewhere on the podium than in any of the other disciplines.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 10-31-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Medalist
    ^ Drobiazko/Vanagas also won two bronze medals at Europeans. But I would agree that starting for a small federation with no political pull does make reaching the podium harder.

And isn't the judging at Skate Canada always somewhat generous towards the Canadian skaters? More blatantly so than the judges at other Grand Prix events reward "home" skaters? I thought that's well known? That doesn't mean that Canadian skaters get overscored in general, just at that particular event.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    To me, she seemed more disappointed at her own mediocre performance. Of course, if she'd skated her FS like she did her SP, they'd have given her 120+ to ensure the victory over Czisny.
    As she would have deserved if she had skated her best. On paper, Phaneuf's program is more difficult than Czisny's. On paper, Cynthia repeats the 3Lutz and the 3loop while Alissa repeats the 3flip and the 3toe. They both have lovely spins and strong choreography. If Cynthia were clean, she would have deserved to beat Alissa.

I have to say major props to Alissa, Yuka, and Jason for helping Czisny tame her 3flip (at least for this event). 3 times attempted and 3 times landed beautifully. Great for her!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 10-31-2010 at 10:00 AM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    agreed. I dont believe its a national bias as much as a chan bias. Reynolds and Ten were scored fairly. Or maybe in the case of reynolds sp unfairly since the judges basically told him chan was better with three falls than he was with his two quads.
    I definitely believe it's just a Chan bias too. Chan is the only Canadian skater I know of who gets scored outrageously even when he makes multiple major mistakes. As much as some like to complain about Joannie's scores, I've never seen her beat out top ranked world competitors who skate near clean performances with fully rotated jumps when she skates mistake filled programs. Last season at Skate Canada, Mirai was indeed rotating her jumps on the ice (not in the air) and skating with zero expression and life in her LP. Alissa UR and fell on two triple jumps and skated A LOT slower than Joannie. Plus, her planned difficulty was nowhere near Rochette's.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 10-31-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Why was Phaneuf looking so angry in the KnC after her FS. She seemed to be furious at her score. Was she annoyed that the judges didn't hold her up the way they did Patrick?
    Usually when someone skates poorly, they don't look happy. That's the general response to skating poorly. That said, good attempt to disparage another Canadian skater. Messy interpretation, but convincing performance. So so transitions.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast