Main battles in skating this year | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Main battles in skating this year

aftertherain

Record Breaker
From what i have seen so far, there is no "battle" in the Ladies field - or the battle is for the 2nd place only.

It will be Yuna taking her throne at the Worlds again :p

Just out of curiosity, no lie, do you like any other skaters besides Yuna?

Yeah if Ya Na simply shows up at Worlds she will win easily.

As good as she is and as much as I like her, it still remains to be seen, so I won't say anything about her and Worlds yet.

Then again, she is only going to be competing at Worlds.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Watching the level of skating so far Queen Yu Na has a 3 fall cushion on the field atleast unless some of her closer pursuors get their acts together or Rochette returns very strong.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Watching the level of skating so far Queen Yu Na has a 3 fall cushion on the field atleast unless some of her closer pursuors get their acts together or Rochette returns very strong.

It's also early in the season.

I think yes, if Yuna were to walk in today, she would probably win any of the GP events or maybe even the GPF.

But Worlds is a long way away...also...has anyone seen Yuna as of late? Rink reports?

cooper

Medalist
It's also early in the season.

I think yes, if Yuna were to walk in today, she would probably win any of the GP events or maybe even the GPF.

But Worlds is a long way away...also...has anyone seen Yuna as of late? Rink reports?

From Aunt Joyce and some other reports from other forum, Yuna is practicing her 3-3. Both her SP and LP are already complete. Her last interview she said that she's working to improve her spins, jumps, and footwork. She's focus on competing at next year's Worlds in Tokyo.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I guess Euro Ice Dance podium will be F/S and P/B and K/K. But that would mean no Russian pair! Maybe B/S could be good. You have I/K and maybe K/A will be good. Khokhlova has so many Euro medals! It would be surprising if one of the best female ice dancers in the whole world and can't win a medal no matter who her partner is! But will K/A make it out of Russian nationals? Can they just debut in third or maybe do better? Maybe G/B or R/T will go for Russia. Ice Dance has of interesting things coming!

Japanes men are doing so well. But then that is nearly always the case in the grand prix and than like one or even two becomes horrible and you wonder what happened to them. So Takahashi probably wont have to worry about Oda or Kozuka or Hanyu. Chan has been flawed at the past two worlds but still won silver medals.

Euro mens podium is interesting to me. Skate canada was not the coming out party for Gachinski I thought it could be but he was sick and the judges were Chanbots. Total chanbots in every way imaginable. Everyone suffered because of their chanlove and chanbotness. Euro mens podium Fernandez and Joubert and Amodio and Gachinski and of course verner if he holds out and then Brezina who who did well earlier this year there.

America is all about Rippon and Abbott. Mroz did do well at COC but that I don't feel he is there with Rippon and Abbott.

Ladies skating in America? Flatt's the best. Maybe lots don't think she is emotive or feeling or kwanlike but she can do triples. She can do triples in short AND long programs.

Russian ladies shold be the best competition of the season!!! Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova and Leonova and Makarova and watch there be some girl show up at Russian nationals few know and stun people.

Pairs is Pang/Tong and S/S but watch out for V/T because people are just waiting for them like people wait for the superbowl!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Christina's goal is to go to the 2014 Olympics, so she and Brian decided there was no need to rush things, and after her result at Junior Worlds, they decided together to stay on the JGP for another season. She has grown a few inches (she's now around 5'3"-5'4") since last season and has worked a lot on her choreography and presentation and they decided together that staying on the JGP for another year would allow her work these aspects, try her 3f-3t with less at stake, and adjust to her new body while staying away from the limelight. I think it was a good call.

Her goal this season is to go to Senior Worlds, so she is working hard on making her programs and image less juniorish, and IMO is doing a good job at it. Also, where she is competing as a senior at nationals her decision to stay on the JGP doesn't affect her chances of making the World Team.

Granted it's early in the season...but Gao's 2010-2011 seasonal best as far as the total score is second only to Czisny and that's with a JGP event with less elements to score! And she's fifth overall I know you can't compare competitions, but I think it's worth noting.

Just to note..here's the personal best thus far for the ladies who will compete senior at the national level in 2011 (with note of SB ranking and 2010 U.S. Nationals placement)

Czisny - 172.37 (3rd SB/10th)
Gao - 167.14 (5th SB/5th)
Siraj - 161.75 (9th SB/2nd Junior)
Flatt - 161.04 (10th SB/1st)
Zawadzki - 154.35 (16th SB/1st Junior)
Nagasu - 146.23 (23rd SB/SB/2nd)
Wagner - 143.73 (24th SB/3rd)
Baga - 138.70 (29th SB/4th Junior -- is she moving up? I thought she was)
Gong - 134.32 (34th SB/16th)
Zhang - 133.86 (37th SB/11th)

Also to note other seasonal bests for other top 10 National finishers: Dobbs (132.45 SB #41/6th) and Alexe Gilles (125.46 SB #47/8th)

Again, I understand it's earlier in the season and most of the ladies still has one more event to go. (And also the fact that these are not the best they usually give). These numbers will likely change. I will update.

But I only do this exercise to point out that Gao shouldn't be counted out just yet, junior or not.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You mean Chan's 3 falls vs. Reynolds 2 quads?:)

Well, if you look at the competition as a whole, Reynolds landed 4 quads and Chan fell 4 times, and still beat Reynolds by over 20 points....NBD. If I were Kevin Reynolds, I'd be, err, discouraged?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In dance the competitions I am most looking forward to:

Canadian Nationals. The senior field is very deep. If Tessa & Scott don't attend (as seems possible right now), there will be a new Canadian champion. There are 3 spots for World in play. Competitors will include C&P and W&P as early favorites, Paul and Islam and Ralph and Hill as up and comers. C&P for the win, but if W&P beat C&P at Skate America, watch out.

US Nationals. Meryl and Charlie for the win, but the battle for the 2 remaining spots on the world team will be intersting. My guess is they go to Chock / Zuerlein and the Shibutanis, who already have bronze medals at a GP event this year. Since S&B are out, it may be hard for the US to hold 3 spots for next years Worlds.

Russian Nationals! The biggest crap shoot of the season. With Domnina and Shabalin both retired and Novitski retired so that Khokhlova is skating with Zoueva's son Andreev, the podium is as wide open as it gets. And there will be some good contenders:
Bobrova and Soloviev won a silver over F&S at CoC
Ilinykh and Katsapalov faded, losing the bronze to the Shibutanis at NHK, but this is a much hyped team. They are not fading away.
Riazanova and Tkachenko have their first GP at Skate America. I'm not ruling them out here.
Monko & Khaliavin have been tearing up the Junior circuit! Can they get together an SD with the Golden Waltz inserted instead of the Viennese in time for Russian Nationals? I hope they try!
And the fabulous Khokhlova with the unknown quantity (at least in dance) Andreev
Gorshkova & Butikov have the most dreadful free dance of the season IMO, so I do not expect them to win anything more than bronze, and I hope not that.
Very exciting!

And of course, Europeans: I'm thinking the top 4 spots go to P/B, F/S, K/K or B/S. The question is, in which order. P&B have the best early preparation and the lead so far. One thing I can be sure: Faiella will be at Europeans in miniskirts :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Apparently there is a battle going on between Frank and Mirai :biggrin:

Hope Frank wins - but that Mirai keeps some of her quirkiness :)

USA Ladies could use a little more personality - on and off the ice. :yes: