Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: I used to love the COP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Victories, schmictories. Here is Stephane's all-time greatest performance, wide-swinging jump landings, level 2 spins and all, good for fourth place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRQVeaD2iu8
    Zabucca was great and all, but I disagree that it was his all-time greatest performance. His 2007 Poeta LP (here it is in its full HD-glory) is his greatest performance, bobbles at the end and all--and good enough for third place, albeit with a disastrous SP.

I know Lambiel has been vocal about his dislike for CoP, but to me, Lambiel's Poeta is proof that a CoP program can transcend the paint-by-numbers approach that so many skaters seem to embrace--and so many posters criticize--and instead be extraordinary.
    Last edited by evangeline; 11-04-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I know Lambiel has been vocal about his dislike for CoP, but to me, Lambiel's Poeta is proof that a CoP program can transcend the paint-by-numbers approach that so many skaters seem to embrace--and so many posters criticize--and instead be extraordinary.
    Poeta! Glorious performance.

But Lambiel is a "residual" skater from 6.0. He straddles both eras.

The ideal of CoP is not that bad. Making figure skating judging transparent, that's good. What I object to is the mindset it gives growing skaters & coaches. The importance has shifted from skate to elements. By giving points to individual elements, breaking down the entirety of the skate, the CoP has fostered a myopic fixation on spin levels, GOE and BV. Skaters miss out on the whole picture... which is why I'm glad the SpSq has been removed. At least it no longer disrupts the actual programs. One small step for ISU.

This could be addessed if PCS was given out correctly. I wish judges actually cared about the performance, not a skater's international reputation, national federation push or successful completion of all elements. There's a big differene between a clean skate& an artstic, well-performed program.
    Last edited by dlgpffps; 11-05-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    But we should continue to give examples of creative, artistic skates under CoP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    But we should continue to give examples of creative, artistic skates under CoP.
    That is a good idea, I'm going to start a thread on it....

Some posters make a fuss about Tech yet they still want the schmaltz of performance which most of the time negates the Tech. The Tech needs its own competition without all the frilly stuff. A skater can slop up the required elements in the SP but still be held up in the PC scores to keep the skater alive. Of coursem that's only for an Elite skater who is experiencing a meltdown in the Tech.

Lambiel is a performer, arguably the best of the current crop. It's not a question of CoP or 6.0. He is his own man.

Lambiel said he is all for the tech in the SP. He said he wishes the LP had more freedom. The two programs are the same now.
    I agree with Lambiel about this. It would be more interesting if the only difference in the two programs was not the duration.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    There is no better source but the skater to spot on the problems and the solution. I think if an athlete has an idea and says what has to be changed in the judging system, the best thing is to listen to him cause he is the one who suffers from any change they do.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12