Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Triple Lutz by a woman?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    All true

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleflutz View Post
    I agree. Apart from the short take-off being a way of disguising a flutz or a weak edge, as Doris Pulaski pointed out, the aesthetics of the long glide are far more preferable most of the time, because it allows the unique entry and exit curves of the lutz to really stand out. That reverse "S" curve is one of the prettiest things in skating to me, and it's sad that even technically correct lutzes these days mostly just look like they're jumped in a traditional circle. It takes one of the more visually unique jumps, in terms of creating an interesting pattern of movement on the ice, and turns it into just another boring ugly toe jump. Ho-hum. Most of the time, the "footwork" preceding it isn't interesting or complicated enough to be worth the loss.
    I hadn't realized this until reading your post - but I too miss this....I find myself now only looking at the foot (flip or lutz) and not the "whole picture" of the jump.

Here is an example of a loooong glide into a triple lutz.
    I don't see much to like about it...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... (she lands one and misses the second).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVxfY...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Here is an example of a loooong glide into a triple lutz.
    I don't see much to like about it...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... (she lands one and misses the second).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVxfY...eature=related
    Wow. Uncle Dick was not pleased with that technique.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    I tried to find that program on Youtube, but it seems not be there. But I do remember watching it before and it was great.
    Yes, it was great, and, yes, I couldn't find it either, though I do have it on one of my old dinosaur VHS tapes (still haven't gotten around to transferring my old VHS tapes from the 70's/80's/90's/2000s onto DVD format yet). And I don't know if I ever will, lol, because I seriously have about 1000 of those dinosaur tapes. :(

As for the jump itself, I will not change my mind on the long gliding edge leading into it, I'm a purist/traditionalist after all. I stand with Sonja Henie, Gillis Grafstrom, and all the other f.s. greats from the past whom did it the way it was originally meant to be done, as introduced by Austrian skater Alois Lutz in 1913: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutz_jump

However, we all have differing opinions, as it should be, and I thank you all for allowing me to post mine without ridicule. Tolerance is the key to getting along with others after all.

Custom Title
    I did not find Viktoria Volkova on youtube, but in my opinion she had the best triple lutz among women.

Volchkova had a lovely lutz edge going in, and great spring and height in the jump, but tended to land and stop short and always didn't have good glide out. She also was subject to nerves AFAIR, and fell a lot because of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjcR1IybLR4

Here's her LP from a COR that she won!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    No, Michelle most certainly could not fall 3 times and win. Thankfully she has NEVER fallen 3 times in a competition, let alone a single performance. Those rankings are ridiculous. There is no doubt that Kwan was #1. I'm not sure why you are talking about falls when Kwan didn't even make a mistake in her performance. Her speed, edges, fluidity, expression, choreography, interpretation, spirals, and footwork were well beyond Ye-Bin Mok's. Anne Patrice McDonough and Jennifer Kirk over Michelle Kwan? LOL!!!!!!
    Speed? MK is slower than Caroline Zhang at times, and in COP MK would be downgraded for her flagrant flutz (even worse than Sasha's), slow spins with uncreative positions, and recycling of the same choreography which makes her programs some of the most boring in recent memory. I did an objective COP calculation and Yebin's SP score comes out to around 68-69, Kwan to around 45-46.

It this thread about triple Lutzes, or is it lame anti-Kwan trolling?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wonbinfan86 View Post
    Speed? MK is slower than Caroline Zhang at times, and in COP MK would be downgraded for her flagrant flutz (even worse than Sasha's), slow spins with uncreative positions, and recycling of the same choreography which makes her programs some of the most boring in recent memory. I did an objective COP calculation and Yebin's SP score comes out to around 68-69, Kwan to around 45-46.
    It's like opposite day!

Custom Title
    Wow. At least show some subtlety, if you're going to be trolling.

Anyway, I remember Angela Nikodinov having a nice lutz as well.

MK may not have had the highest lutz, but she had great flow out and positions. The lutzes from 2003-2004 LPs, with the long held edge coming out, were especially gorgeous.

And at 2003 Worlds, MK's lutz not in combination in her LP was really good. Not best ever like Tonya's, but really, really good. 2003 is the wrong year to go after Michelle's skills. It's after Arutunian and before her hip was really crippling. And TFB is a great, great SP.

Here's MK 2003 lutz:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfluAux0Sf0#t=3m0s

It's at the 3 minute mark, and the link above should take you there.

Sorry, thanks for playing. Better luck next time.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Last edited by blue dog; 11-08-2010 at 02:57 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3