Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When will Fumie retire already?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    All the point was was that Lysacek hads the golds that the judges gave him which points to them thinking he is the best in the world and one of the best ever and how that should not be a STOP sign but a continue sign.
    There was a king. One day he decided to build the world's most ostentatious monument as a tribute to his wealth. He had precious metals shipped from around the world; he used only the finest craftsmen and women to help achieve his vision. It took eons to build but when it was complete everyone marvelled at it's brilliance and majesty. The next day the king ordered the monument destroyed. When asked why, he said it was better to live in your memory as a splendor than suffer the ravages of time and be thought of what was one once but could never be again.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    What's it to you (original poster) when Fumie retires? That kind of thing takes care of itself. When she can't get to the competitions, she'll obviously figure out that it's time to quit!

Banned
    All the point was was that Lysacek hads the golds that the judges gave him which points to them thinking he is the best in the world and one of the best ever and how that should not be a STOP sign but a continue sign.
    The judges never gave him points that indicated he was one of the best ever. This system hasnt been around since the end of time, it has been around 6 years, but Takahashi and Plushenko for example have both scored higher under this short lived system before than Lysacek did in Vancouver. The points they gave him just indicated they felt he was the best that night and good enough to win over a past his prime and subpar Plushenko (barely) and Takahashi making major mistakes.

Anyway that is aside the point. On what you are saying I believe the smartest thing he could have done is retire. Why?

1. He is 25 years old. Already an advanced age for an elite competive skater at which point nearly all retire, or a year or two beyond that at most. And he has had a very long junior and senior international career already, as long or longer than most.

2. He has gone through alot of injuries, it is time to give his body a break and move on to a less physical strenous form of skating.

3. He is at the peak of his marketability now. He just won the Worlds and Olympics, he was on Dancing with the Stars. He would be crazy to not cash in on this and take all the opportunities to headline a major skating tour and make as much money as he can before that window is closed.

4. He clearly peaked. He wasnt going to ever be a better amateur skater than he was in 2009 and 2010. And he rightly is probably smart to realize he did extremely well to win those 2 major championships, and it in fact was an unlikely occurence but all the variables fell his way for it to happen. He is not a skater who was going to dominate the sport long term and in fact the direction he was most likely to go had he continued was down. Going out on top with all his goals achieved and capatilizing on the height of his popularity and fame to the best professional opportunities was absolutely what he should have done.

So Lysacek was in fact very smart about when to retire.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I always thought figure skating was a perversion of the natural order. A golfer starts as an amateur, then turns professional when he is good enough. .....
    And once the golfer is no longer good/consistent enough for the regular professional tour, he regresses again and hits the seniors/masters circuit. But at least golf has an established Life Cycle path. Golfers can continue in reasonably top form for longer however, as that sport does not put the same kind of demand on the body.

.... Look at football. Didn't see Eli Manning retire, or Tom Brady retire after they won superbowls. Once again skating is sooo messed up. Win a gold and never compete again.
    Can't compare an individual sport like figure skating with a team sport. Those guys didn't win the Superbowl by being out there on the field by themselves!

Maybe a better comparison would be to elite gymnasts, skiers, swimmers, etc. Individual sports that put great physical demands on the body, that cannot continue indefinitely at the same high level.

On topic, I've always had a soft spot for Fumie, but she is way overdue for being realistic about her limitations and her chances in competitive skating (diminishing), and moving on with her life. I think that is one of her issues, she doesn't seem to have found another focus. Much as I miss Yukari Nakano on the competitive roster, I respect her decision to "close up shop" when she did, and find another direction.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 11-01-2010 at 10:13 PM.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    What's it to you (original poster) when Fumie retires? That kind of thing takes care of itself. When she can't get to the competitions, she'll obviously figure out that it's time to quit!
    ITA!!
    But there's just one thing and that is she has somehow managed to maintain receiving "Special Reinforcement" from the JSF this season, which could have been divided to the upcomers.

But in any case I would wish her to really shine again and be happy with her skating just one more last time.
    Last edited by sorcerer; 11-01-2010 at 10:25 PM.

I am kinda worried about Fumie getting older.. Soon she will need to carry a life alert or she won't be able to get back up by herself if she falls..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The judges never gave him points that indicated he was one of the best ever. This system hasnt been around since the end of time, it has been around 6 years, but Takahashi and Plushenko for example have both scored higher under this short lived system before than Lysacek did in Vancouver. The points they gave him just indicated they felt he was the best that night and good enough to win over a past his prime and subpar Plushenko (barely) and Takahashi making major mistakes.
    But the judges knew what title they were giving out. If they didn't think Lysacek was great skater and just thought he was best on one night they wouldn't have given it to him of all people. There is no evidence of Lysacek reacihing his peak at the exact moment he would win olympic gold. He could reach his peak next year or the year after or 2014 if he might kept have competing.

Custom Title
    Lord knows I'm not Fumie's biggest supporter, but even I feel that any skater in any discipline should be allowed to compete as long as s/he wants to & can afford to, it's all up to the individual.

There have been numerous examples of the aforementioned ~ Elaine Zayak, Brian Boitano, Maria Butyrskaya, Katarina Witt, Michelle Kwan, Denise Biellmann (pro. competitions), Sasha Cohen, Elvis Stojko, Shizuka Arakawa, Irina Slutskaya, Amber Corwin, Tonia Kwaitkowski, Kevin Van Der Perren, Stephane Lambiel, Brian Joubert, Sonja Henie, Evgeni Plushenko ~ and the list goes on & on, it's endless...

In fact I don't even know why there's a discussion about it, because as you can see it is common to carry on, not unusual at all. The greatest love to skate for the pure pleasure of it, and some just love to compete as well. The one that stands out to me more than all the others though is Gillis Grafstrom, whom competed until he was 38 yrs. old, having already won three consecutive Olympic Gold Medals in 1920, 1924, 1928, he competed at his last Olympics in 1932 at the age of 38, and still managed to win the Olympic Silver Medal, which would have been gold again if he hadn't accidentally collided with a photographer on the ice. :D

Custom Title
    I've always liked Fumie and I've no qualms with her carrying on, but she was in embarassing competitive shape at SC. It would be so inspiring if she were skating well and landing all her triples at her advanced age (kind of like Granny, but better!), but right now she's just proving to be filler until some young upstart steals her place in the GP and elsewhere.

I do wish Fumie would continue, but only if she were skating to her fullest potential given her age and physical considerations.

Banned
    But the judges knew what title they were giving out. If they didn't think Lysacek was great skater and just thought he was best on one night they wouldn't have given it to him of all people. There is no evidence of Lysacek reacihing his peak at the exact moment he would win olympic gold. He could reach his peak next year or the year after or 2014 if he might kept have competing.
    Lysacek is 25 years old. That was definitely his peak and he knows it. Sorry skaters dont ever peak at the amateur level (pro level is totally different) at age 30. Mrs. Fumie Suguri is certainly glaring evidence of that. Even the latest blooming skaters like Butyrskaya and Slutskaya peaked at 26. Lysacek lives in the real World, he realizes like anyone intelilgent he reached the height of his AMATEUR career in 2009 and 2010, the climax of a long and now excellent career, and it is now time to reap the rewards and move on, and explore new avenues in his skating as a professional skater, the only place skaters at that point still improve if they do. A difference with Fumie of course is she just fell short of her own likely goals in her what should have been her climatic season- an Olympic medal (4th) and a World title (2nd) and that I believe is the reason for this never ending now delusional quest of hers.

As for your assertion the judges would only give the gold to someone they consider a legendary skater or one of the greatest skaters ever, not merely the skater they felt performed the best that night ever hear of the following skaters- Sarah Hughes, Annett Poetzsch, Alexei Urmanov. Nuff said. Evan won since he gave the best performance that night (arguably) not because he the judges or anyone considers him a historic great of the sport.
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 11-02-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Custom Title
    You know....when she's like, 50. .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post

Anyway that is aside the point. On what you are saying I believe the smartest thing he could have done is retire. Why?

1. He is 25 years old. Already an advanced age for an elite competive skater at which point nearly all retire, or a year or two beyond that at most. And he has had a very long junior and senior international career already, as long or longer than most.

2. He has gone through alot of injuries, it is time to give his body a break and move on to a less physical strenous form of skating.

3. He is at the peak of his marketability now. He just won the Worlds and Olympics, he was on Dancing with the Stars. He would be crazy to not cash in on this and take all the opportunities to headline a major skating tour and make as much money as he can before that window is closed.

4. He clearly peaked. He wasnt going to ever be a better amateur skater than he was in 2009 and 2010. And he rightly is probably smart to realize he did extremely well to win those 2 major championships, and it in fact was an unlikely occurence but all the variables fell his way for it to happen. He is not a skater who was going to dominate the sport long term and in fact the direction he was most likely to go had he continued was down. Going out on top with all his goals achieved and capatilizing on the height of his popularity and fame to the best professional opportunities was absolutely what he should have done.

So Lysacek was in fact very smart about when to retire.
    You forgot one more point- he knows he will never win again.

Custom Title
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/10...1423007-n1.htm

The 9th finisher Suguri said, "I found lots of things I need to work on. It was a good experience." Dressed in an Arabian inspired costume, the 29 year old showed a rather unique performance. "I think Canadian fans are fond of this stuff. It was well received."

On a side note, before the season began she was quoted saying, "I think I can show Japanese culture to the world through my skating." Her slogan has always been big, one of which was "I skate for the world peace" in 2002.

Fumie is so beyond us ok? So leave her alone

Down With It
    She may well be past her prime, but I dunno...somehow I find it kinda cool that someone nearing 30 is continuing to hang in there. Of course, it would be more impressive if she were able to give the 15 yr olds a run for their money, but there you have it. She's been around forever so it's likely not going to happen.

On the Ice
    if fumie wants to continue let her be. it's not a big deal. i give her credit for at least there's still fire on her.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast