When will Fumie retire already? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

When will Fumie retire already?

ks777

Record Breaker
I am kinda worried about Fumie getting older.. Soon she will need to carry a life alert or she won't be able to get back up by herself if she falls..

gmyers

Record Breaker
The judges never gave him points that indicated he was one of the best ever. This system hasnt been around since the end of time, it has been around 6 years, but Takahashi and Plushenko for example have both scored higher under this short lived system before than Lysacek did in Vancouver. The points they gave him just indicated they felt he was the best that night and good enough to win over a past his prime and subpar Plushenko (barely) and Takahashi making major mistakes.

But the judges knew what title they were giving out. If they didn't think Lysacek was great skater and just thought he was best on one night they wouldn't have given it to him of all people. There is no evidence of Lysacek reacihing his peak at the exact moment he would win olympic gold. He could reach his peak next year or the year after or 2014 if he might kept have competing.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lord knows I'm not Fumie's biggest supporter, but even I feel that any skater in any discipline should be allowed to compete as long as s/he wants to & can afford to, it's all up to the individual.

There have been numerous examples of the aforementioned ~ Elaine Zayak, Brian Boitano, Maria Butyrskaya, Katarina Witt, Michelle Kwan, Denise Biellmann (pro. competitions), Sasha Cohen, Elvis Stojko, Shizuka Arakawa, Irina Slutskaya, Amber Corwin, Tonia Kwaitkowski, Kevin Van Der Perren, Stephane Lambiel, Brian Joubert, Sonja Henie, Evgeni Plushenko ~ and the list goes on & on, it's endless...

In fact I don't even know why there's a discussion about it, because as you can see it is common to carry on, not unusual at all. The greatest love to skate for the pure pleasure of it, and some just love to compete as well. The one that stands out to me more than all the others though is Gillis Grafstrom, whom competed until he was 38 yrs. old, having already won three consecutive Olympic Gold Medals in 1920, 1924, 1928, he competed at his last Olympics in 1932 at the age of 38, and still managed to win the Olympic Silver Medal, which would have been gold again if he hadn't accidentally collided with a photographer on the ice. :D

Andalusia

Final Flight
I've always liked Fumie and I've no qualms with her carrying on, but she was in embarassing competitive shape at SC. It would be so inspiring if she were skating well and landing all her triples at her advanced age :rolleye: (kind of like Granny, but better!), but right now she's just proving to be filler until some young upstart steals her place in the GP and elsewhere.

I do wish Fumie would continue, but only if she were skating to her fullest potential given her age and physical considerations.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
But the judges knew what title they were giving out. If they didn't think Lysacek was great skater and just thought he was best on one night they wouldn't have given it to him of all people. There is no evidence of Lysacek reacihing his peak at the exact moment he would win olympic gold. He could reach his peak next year or the year after or 2014 if he might kept have competing.

Lysacek is 25 years old. That was definitely his peak and he knows it. Sorry skaters dont ever peak at the amateur level (pro level is totally different) at age 30. Mrs. Fumie Suguri is certainly glaring evidence of that. :laugh: Even the latest blooming skaters like Butyrskaya and Slutskaya peaked at 26. Lysacek lives in the real World, he realizes like anyone intelilgent he reached the height of his AMATEUR career in 2009 and 2010, the climax of a long and now excellent career, and it is now time to reap the rewards and move on, and explore new avenues in his skating as a professional skater, the only place skaters at that point still improve if they do. A difference with Fumie of course is she just fell short of her own likely goals in her what should have been her climatic season- an Olympic medal (4th) and a World title (2nd) and that I believe is the reason for this never ending now delusional quest of hers.

As for your assertion the judges would only give the gold to someone they consider a legendary skater or one of the greatest skaters ever, not merely the skater they felt performed the best that night ever hear of the following skaters- Sarah Hughes, Annett Poetzsch, Alexei Urmanov. Nuff said. Evan won since he gave the best performance that night (arguably) not because he the judges or anyone considers him a historic great of the sport.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The judges never gave him points that indicated he was one of the best ever. This system hasnt been around since the end of time, it has been around 6 years, but Takahashi and Plushenko for example have both scored higher under this short lived system before than Lysacek did in Vancouver. The points they gave him just indicated they felt he was the best that night and good enough to win over a past his prime and subpar Plushenko (barely) and Takahashi making major mistakes.

Anyway that is aside the point. On what you are saying I believe the smartest thing he could have done is retire. Why?

1. He is 25 years old. Already an advanced age for an elite competive skater at which point nearly all retire, or a year or two beyond that at most. And he has had a very long junior and senior international career already, as long or longer than most.

2. He has gone through alot of injuries, it is time to give his body a break and move on to a less physical strenous form of skating.

3. He is at the peak of his marketability now. He just won the Worlds and Olympics, he was on Dancing with the Stars. He would be crazy to not cash in on this and take all the opportunities to headline a major skating tour and make as much money as he can before that window is closed.

4. He clearly peaked. He wasnt going to ever be a better amateur skater than he was in 2009 and 2010. And he rightly is probably smart to realize he did extremely well to win those 2 major championships, and it in fact was an unlikely occurence but all the variables fell his way for it to happen. He is not a skater who was going to dominate the sport long term and in fact the direction he was most likely to go had he continued was down. Going out on top with all his goals achieved and capatilizing on the height of his popularity and fame to the best professional opportunities was absolutely what he should have done.

So Lysacek was in fact very smart about when to retire.

You forgot one more point- he knows he will never win again.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/101031/spm1010311423007-n1.htm

The 9th finisher Suguri said, "I found lots of things I need to work on. It was a good experience." Dressed in an Arabian inspired costume, the 29 year old showed a rather unique performance. "I think Canadian fans are fond of this stuff. It was well received."

On a side note, before the season began she was quoted saying, "I think I can show Japanese culture to the world through my skating." Her slogan has always been big, one of which was "I skate for the world peace" in 2002.

Fumie is so beyond us ok? So leave her alone :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
She may well be past her prime, but I dunno...somehow I find it kinda cool that someone nearing 30 is continuing to hang in there. Of course, it would be more impressive if she were able to give the 15 yr olds a run for their money, but there you have it. She's been around forever so it's likely not going to happen.

lycan

Rinkside
if fumie wants to continue let her be. it's not a big deal. i give her credit for at least there's still fire on her.

nylynnr

On the Ice
I'm not sure if the original question in this thread is still of interest; however, at Skate Canada Fumie said she would like to continue for as long as possible, and certainly beyond this season.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
My post #10 on the first page of this thread:

From an Icenetwork article dated 10/30 during Skate Canada:
At age 29, Japan's Fumie Suguri soldiers on, despite slipping from second in the world in 2006 to seventh place at the Japanese Championships last season.

"I was not happy with how I skated at nationals, especially because I always want a good performance, not only results. I have been doing the sport for long years and that is not how I wanted to finish."

How long will she continue? "I don't know, as long as possible."

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
You forgot one more point- he knows he will never win again.
Yes, I think you are absolutely right. Male singles skaters who win the Olympics at the age of 25, would be really unrealistic to believe that they could do it again in next Olympics (at the age of 29).

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by gmyers

They do it all the time. Do you really think the judges think Sarah or even Tara were overall the best skaters. Sarah got lucky on one night imo. Tara had excitement imo:laugh: Edited to add...Tara was really kind of a co favorite.

Michelle, Irina or even Sasha (2006) were the favorites at the Olympics.

As for your assertion the judges would only give the gold to someone they consider a legendary skater or one of the greatest skaters ever, not merely the skater they felt performed the best that night ever hear of the following skaters- Sarah Hughes, Annett Poetzsch, Alexei Urmanov. Nuff said. Evan won since he gave the best performance that night (arguably) not because he the judges or anyone considers him a historic great of the sport.

ITA

Last edited:

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
It's a shame she was in such poor form last week, because I liked the SP. It actually had choreography-- the best she's had in a long time.

The LP costume was a really unfortunate addition to a bad performance. But it could be a good program if she'd cut down on the faux-arabian stuff and just interpret the music, which has some dark and exciting moments.

Also, I wish she would bring back the scratch spin for at least one program!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Next year she probably wont get any GP assignments after her 10th or 12 place finish at this years upcoming Nationals so where is her career going to continue. Regional events in Japan? Since she is delusional if she believes her international career is going to continue any longer. Japan isnt going to waste spots on skaters who could come last in their grand prix assignments.

ks777

Record Breaker
I am pretty sure she will retire once she have to compete in regionals and sectionals and lose her sponsorships.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, at one time it was not unusual to see Russian and European skaters still competing in their thirties. Our skaters (North American) usually moved on once they won the Worlds and Olympics because they could not afford to keep competing and also felt obligated to repay their parents. Usually in those days they would get a star role in an ice show like Ice Capades. Things are different again for each individual skater. Skaters seem to come and go in the competitive field - taking some time off to earn some money and then return for the Olympics. So in answer to your question - I would venture to say Fumie could be around for awhile longer. It also depends on the Japanese Skating federation. Skate Canada has criteria that skaters must meet over the course of the competitive season, I imagine Japan and other countries are the same with their skaters. If Fumie does dismally in the upcoming season, who knows? Maybe she will move on.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Suguri isnt a Lysacek-star but she certainly could have made a nice pro career for herself either in Asia or wherever she chose. If even Jennifer Robinson can.....
Well ... She was to some extent, holding more titles but not that inflated one. The point does remain though ... go with your heart and I am not sure why that hasn't lead her to go "pro."???? She is very charming and has a GREAT sounding voice, there seems to be other options but your heart goes where your heart goes. I don't think it could be a matter of accomplishing anything she hasn't or needing to redeem herself - how could that happen? Just something she wants to do and is still good enough to stay in the pack.

Funny thing I remember saying similar things about the "Kween" that others are saying about the "Empress" yet that topic went away. Fumie cannot rid herself of these comments from the end of the 04-05 season, YET Fumie is still able to compete, qualify and place. Even with a scoring change. One can still rise to meet the challange but they are critisized (by SOME) for doing so when another was so sensationalized in treatment (although a phenomenal skater) that I was the only one who was saying something about Kwan (again I will state she is a favorite who is not only hanging on my wall but I an=m so taken by her I am still with a girl that at first reminded me of her) decorously I will add, and catching big heat for expressing it. All and all it had to do with an injury anyhow and that is something that is not compairable to Fumie. So I am with MikiAndoFan#1, just let her skate.