Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Ladies - short program

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I just watched Nagasu's SP on Universal sports. Good debut for her, she made an effort to express the music but somehow I felt last year's SP was better. She needs something a bit more fiery IMHO.
    Pirates of the Caribbean was a fantastic piece of music for her. LOVED it. Haven't seen this year's yet...

Custom Title
    I actually kind of like the part where she makes the face (2:32 in this video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uumJWuyD_Sw

It's the music from Witches of Eastwick coming in, and she said she's supposed to be a girl picking a flower and doing that "He loves me, He loves me not" thing with the flowers, and she has attitude

Custom Title
    Can't say i love Mirai's music for her SP. It's just to herky jerky and without any kind of beautiful melody to hold it together. Having said that Mirai can skate to anything including mediocre music. I just pray that she stays on her feet and she's guaranteed a medal. But i want to see her go out and get the gold she's as good if not better then any other skater at this event.

Custom Title
    Not a huge fan of Miki's new program. Don't get me wrong, I think it has potential, but I don't think she sells it enough yet.

What I don't understand, though, is how a program with a 3-3 gets lower TES than Mirai and Akiko with 3-2s. Obviously it's not all about the jumps, but given the way the CoP is set up, I don't think Miki's other elements were that inferior, and you'd think that a 3-3 would provide enough of a buffer to offset the wonky landing on the 2A.

I think dlgpffps hits it on the head here, though. Under the new rules, if a jump is under-rotated by between 90 and 180 degrees, it should get a <, and more than 180 and it should get a <<. With this distinction, though, it seems as if callers feel more comfortable judging that a jump is under-rotated in borderline cases.

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    Not a huge fan of Miki's new program. Don't get me wrong, I think it has potential, but I don't think she sells it enough yet.

What I don't understand, though, is how a program with a 3-3 gets lower TES than Mirai and Akiko with 3-2s. Obviously it's not all about the jumps, but given the way the CoP is set up, I don't think Miki's other elements were that inferior, and you'd think that a 3-3 would provide enough of a buffer to offset the wonky landing on the 2A.

I think dlgpffps hits it on the head here, though. Under the new rules, if a jump is under-rotated by between 90 and 180 degrees, it should get a <, and more than 180 and it should get a <<. With this distinction, though, it seems as if callers feel more comfortable judging that a jump is under-rotated in borderline cases.
    Miki's 3Loop in the 3x3 combo was underrotated. Also, she got level 1 and 2 on her spins, and she had the step-out on the double axel. Those mistakes add up.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Mirai skated very well, but I am not liking the music cuts to this program.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    What a boring ladies' SP this was! None of the programs really grabbed me. I liked Akiko best! Joannie and Yu-Na, please come back . . . ladies skating is so empty without you!

Custom Title
    I watched Mirai on icenetwork and she was fast. It's a different pace to this program than last year but she was still fast. The you-tube and universal videos of Mirai were choppy and made Mirai look like she was skating and spinning slower than usual on my computer.

I don't like Mirai's new SP at all. Her Pirates of Caribbean SP was far superior to this imo as far as the music, choreo, overall showmanship. It was a crowd-pleasing number and to me it was magical. That program sparkled like Mirai. This one seems almost better suited for a LP. It just seems too slow and laboured as some have said. But maybe it will grow on me by Nationals.

On another note-Congrats on winning the Sp Mirai! I was worried there for a while since I heard about the injury. She seems fit enough and Frank of course will pace her for Nationals/Worlds.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7