Ladies - short program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies - short program

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mirai, then Akiko and Miki....not sure about the rest. Mirai had 58 and change

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks! Mirai looks good. Wobbly on her flip but for a first outing this season she looks great. I think this choreo has some very nice moments. Love her costume!:love:

I like the program and agree her dress is nice..

Some of these skaters have shown their programs 2-3 times already. This was the first time out for Mirai and I thought she did OK. Hope she can hold up during the LP.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I like the program and agree her dress is nice..

Some of these skaters have shown their programs 2-3 times already. This was the first time out for Mirai and I thought she did OK. Hope she can hold up during the LP.

Yeah, you could sort of tell at some moments that it was her first time performing this program... but you could also see she has been training hard. Last season I though Mirai's program had an every so slightly "memorized" feel to them and I saw less of that this time.
I wonder if she is still working on the 3 lutz/3 toe or if they have ruled it out for this season.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
#1 Mirai Nagasu 31.73 / 27.03 / 58.76
#2 Akiko Suzuki 30.46 / 27.51 / 57.87
#3 Miki Ando 27.99 / 28.12 / 56.11
#4 Bingwa Geng 29.81 / 21.28 / 51.09
#5 Alena Leonova 25.57 / 25.22 / 50.79
#6 Joshi Helgesson 26.14 / 22.69 / 48.83
#7 Amanda Dobbs 22.58 / 23.88 / 46.73
#8 Kristina Musademba 21.57 / 20.23 / 40.80
#9 Min-Jeong Kwak 21.12 / 19.71 / 38.83
#10 Diane Szmiett 19.05 / 19.12 / 38.17
#11 Qiuying Zhu 18.17 / 18.44 / 35.61

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Didn't GOE get changed with the new rules? That could be another reason

Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't think scores were THAT low (for the ladies, at least). Mirai's 3F was probably < but add the spiral sequence & she would have received about 63 points. Akiko around 61. Miki around 60. That's not too bad. We just got used to the 70s Yu-na, Mao and Joannie cranked out last season. It's also early in the season, so we can't really expect PCS hitting 30s. Once Yu-na, Joannie and Mao "return" we will see the scores we're used to. No biggie.

What does affect TES rather hard is the new distinction between < and << making it easier for the tech panel to penalize borderline jumps. What might have been given full credit last year (e.g. Kanako's first toe for her 3T-3T), is now given only 70%. Judges are also shown the deduction & recommended (or required?) to deduct points accordingly (1~2 for < 2~3 for <<) That has got to hurt & it doesn't help that the ladies are underperforming this whole GP season. The technical content has NOT been impressive.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
There was no WOW in this comp either. I've never been a Miki Ando fan, so I'll be quiet about her, but she is included among the non wow skaters.

Live and in real-time, ladies' short was pretty lackluster, but at least not a complete splatfest. More 2A troubles than I expected to see at this level.

mirai was slow and laboured, she should have gotten an edge call on her lutz and ur. but she did show more emotion 2nd half. and was choppy--not flowing.
miki was okay but her 2nd triple on the triple looked a bit ur.

You are completely wrong. I was there. Mirai actually was not slow, and she was faster than just about anybody else out there tonight. The lutz was fine. However, your biases are well known and you don't ever let the facts get in your way, so carry on...

The current top 3 were clearly above the rest of the pack tonight, though each had her own technical warts. I'm not convinced about Mirai's music, Akiko carries hers off well, and Miki needs better choreography for hers, with less frantic arm movements on the footwork section.

Bingwa put together a decent technical showing, but she's not up to interpreting the music chosen for her. Amanda looks good out there, and she's a natural for Moon River, but needs that full jump arsenal, also she visibly slows down in the last part of the program.

Leonova looked awful, both the Halloween costume and the sloppy skating. It really does look like she has past her prime--definitely not on track to be the next Slutskaya. I don't agree with her placement above Helgesson, and she should be not too far in front of Dobbs, though she is. Min Jung Kwak had a rough night, hopefully it is an aberration, and not indicative of a less-than-desireable training situation. She is a very pretty skater to watch. Her PCS seemed a tad low. Musademba I had high hopes for, based on comments from those who saw her on the JGP circuit last 2 years. But....I'm seeing neither great athleticism nor superior artistry. Frankly, her skating looked somewhat clunky and the performance was flat--I had been led to believe she was very balletic and all that. I don't think Claire de Lune is the easiest piece of music to interpret. Szmiett's music is boring, not a good match for her. I found her general basic skating of clearly poorer quality than the other skaters. Which is odd, as I saw her at CoC last year, where she was a newbie, an unknown, and yet performed respectably. Is it my imagination or has she regressed?

Let's hope the ladies wake up in time to put some spark in those free skates tomorrow.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I was so surprised to see Kwak so low in the standings!

:eek:

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow!

Min-Jung has had a back injury since this summer and is still recovering from it, so I think that explains some of her jump troubles here. She fell on the 3lz and on the 2a, which is usually a consistent jump for her. She also lost training time when she suddenly left Toronto and went back to Korea in August and had to look for a new coach, and looks quite a bit taller than last season. I hope she skates better tomorrow but I'm honestly not expecting much from her right now, just considering her injury and everything else that has been going on in her life recently. She also didn't skate well this time last season so she may be a skater who peaks later in the season. I'm adopting the wait and see approach with Min-Jung, she has some nice qualities and potential, but there are so many factors that could be causing her to struggle right now that I'm not going to panic yet. She did win the Korean National Ranking Competition last week though, score was like 127, so not great but not terrible considering all she's been through recently.

I believe Kristiene was injured recently too. From what I have seen, both she and Min-Jung are capable of much better. I thought the PCS for both were a little too low, but it may have been due to the mistakes, they both started out presenting well then looked a little panicked after making mistakes on the jumps. I hope everything goes better tomorrow.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Live and in real-time, ladies' short was pretty lackluster, but at least not a complete splatfest. More 2A troubles than I expected to see at this level.

You are completely wrong. I was there. Mirai actually was not slow, and she was faster than just about anybody else out there tonight. The lutz was fine. However, your biases are well known and you don't ever let the facts get in your way, so carry on...

The current top 3 were clearly above the rest of the pack tonight, though each had her own technical warts. I'm not convinced about Mirai's music, Akiko carries hers off well, and Miki needs better choreography for hers, with less frantic arm movements on the footwork section.

Bingwa put together a decent technical showing, but she's not up to interpreting the music chosen for her. Amanda looks good out there, and she's a natural for Moon River, but needs that full jump arsenal, also she visibly slows down in the last part of the program.

Leonova looked awful, both the Halloween costume and the sloppy skating. It really does look like she has past her prime--definitely not on track to be the next Slutskaya. I don't agree with her placement above Helgesson, and she should be not too far in front of Dobbs, though she is. Min Jung Kwak had a rough night, hopefully it is an aberration, and not indicative of a less-than-desireable training situation. She is a very pretty skater to watch. Her PCS seemed a tad low. Musademba I had high hopes for, based on comments from those who saw her on the JGP circuit last 2 years. But....I'm seeing neither great athleticism nor superior artistry. Frankly, her skating looked somewhat clunky and the performance was flat--I had been led to believe she was very balletic and all that. I don't think Claire de Lune is the easiest piece of music to interpret. Szmiett's music is boring, not a good match for her. I found her general basic skating of clearly poorer quality than the other skaters. Which is odd, as I saw her at CoC last year, where she was a newbie, an unknown, and yet performed respectably. Is it my imagination or has she regressed?

Let's hope the ladies wake up in time to put some spark in those free skates tomorrow.

Thanks for the Live report- and although some have said Mirai was slow she did not look slow to me watching the clips.
Miki - don't know what to say coz I like her but don't think much about her skating stands out aside from the occassional nice jump. Haven't seen Akiko yet - but for her NOT to be buried after the SP is a big improvement.

Don't get any fuss over Leonova - her skating lacks refinement and never fair to Irina that some fans compare them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just watched Nagasu's SP on Universal sports. Good debut for her, she made an effort to express the music but somehow I felt last year's SP was better. She needs something a bit more fiery IMHO.

Pirates of the Caribbean was a fantastic piece of music for her. LOVED it. Haven't seen this year's yet...

burntBREAD

Medalist
I actually kind of like the part where she makes the face (2:32 in this video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uumJWuyD_Sw

It's the music from Witches of Eastwick coming in, and she said she's supposed to be a girl picking a flower and doing that "He loves me, He loves me not" thing with the flowers, and she has attitude :biggrin:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can't say i love Mirai's music for her SP. It's just to herky jerky and without any kind of beautiful melody to hold it together. Having said that Mirai can skate to anything including mediocre music. I just pray that she stays on her feet and she's guaranteed a medal. But i want to see her go out and get the gold she's as good if not better then any other skater at this event.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Not a huge fan of Miki's new program. Don't get me wrong, I think it has potential, but I don't think she sells it enough yet.

What I don't understand, though, is how a program with a 3-3 gets lower TES than Mirai and Akiko with 3-2s. Obviously it's not all about the jumps, but given the way the CoP is set up, I don't think Miki's other elements were that inferior, and you'd think that a 3-3 would provide enough of a buffer to offset the wonky landing on the 2A.

I think dlgpffps hits it on the head here, though. Under the new rules, if a jump is under-rotated by between 90 and 180 degrees, it should get a <, and more than 180 and it should get a <<. With this distinction, though, it seems as if callers feel more comfortable judging that a jump is under-rotated in borderline cases.

Krislite

Medalist
Not a huge fan of Miki's new program. Don't get me wrong, I think it has potential, but I don't think she sells it enough yet.

What I don't understand, though, is how a program with a 3-3 gets lower TES than Mirai and Akiko with 3-2s. Obviously it's not all about the jumps, but given the way the CoP is set up, I don't think Miki's other elements were that inferior, and you'd think that a 3-3 would provide enough of a buffer to offset the wonky landing on the 2A.

I think dlgpffps hits it on the head here, though. Under the new rules, if a jump is under-rotated by between 90 and 180 degrees, it should get a <, and more than 180 and it should get a <<. With this distinction, though, it seems as if callers feel more comfortable judging that a jump is under-rotated in borderline cases.

Miki's 3Loop in the 3x3 combo was underrotated. Also, she got level 1 and 2 on her spins, and she had the step-out on the double axel. Those mistakes add up.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a boring ladies' SP this was! None of the programs really grabbed me. I liked Akiko best! Joannie and Yu-Na, please come back . . . ladies skating is so empty without you!

lavender

Record Breaker
I watched Mirai on icenetwork and she was fast. It's a different pace to this program than last year but she was still fast. The you-tube and universal videos of Mirai were choppy and made Mirai look like she was skating and spinning slower than usual on my computer.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't like Mirai's new SP at all. :disapp: Her Pirates of Caribbean SP was far superior to this imo as far as the music, choreo, overall showmanship. It was a crowd-pleasing number and to me it was magical. That program sparkled like Mirai. This one seems almost better suited for a LP. It just seems too slow and laboured as some have said. But maybe it will grow on me by Nationals.

On another note-Congrats on winning the Sp Mirai! :biggrin: I was worried there for a while since I heard about the injury. She seems fit enough and Frank of course will pace her for Nationals/Worlds.