Men - short program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men - short program

enlight78

Medalist
The most entertaining programs were in the first group, a bit unusual. I would have to say i like peter liebers program the best, Machida's second. They both made great use of the music, had interesting positions and movements. Tomas verner a cute third , like the prop and costume. Mroz was more boring than flatt. Kozuko choreography was so bland he could have been skating to white noise instead of soul man, I know he can do better. Voronov has no Latin bone in his body or choreography is his program at all. Joubert must have been listening to madonna's vogue because he was voguing his way from jump to jump. I haven't ever seen so much posing in my life can some on give him a real program please. I am disappointed compared his last year program which actually has pizazz. Contesti was entertaining with his usual gimmicks. I wish he could fix his 3A, always inconsistent. Congratulations to Kozuko for winning the short, rooting for machida in the long.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I liked the top 3 and Machilda's program, the rest I fell asleep. No personality!
And Kozuka, he is so smooth :clap:and fast :hb:...and cute:love:

Joubert reminds me Lambiel in this short program
No way.... Lambiel is a Dancer. Joubert does what his choreographer tells him to do. His Spanish style is not natural, but his tech was right up there with Kozuka's. It was a toss up who should get the highest scores.

No one in that comp was a WOW.

YRLEE

Spectator
There was a lack of musicality in this competition except for the European men.

Kozuka - fine skate but bland
Joubert - Also fine. He's not Lambiel but the attempt at Spanish was passable
Werner - ok and there is life in him yet.
Contesti - his best skating is behind him.
Voronov - his best since Sweden Worlds, but oh, so ordinary.
Minor - coming along and not going the Carriere way
Mroz - needs a lot of exhibitions; the tech is in line with all the others
Liebers - underscored, as usual

Overall - just no WOWs.
I kind of see something in Peitong for the future. Also his 'a la seconde' spin was unique.

How about Machida?
I think he's quite musical, though he looked very nervous today.

Last edited:
Really? I thought Brian looked WOW.

Love the new look.
Like the new program.
Just an opinion. My WOWs are based on artistic ability and that's in accord with the few who understand ART. It's not easy to see a performance and call it a WOW. There's a lot to be considered that goes beyond figure skating.

btw - I am a Joubert fan and would have placed him higher than Kozuka.

How about Machida?
I think he's quite musical, though he looked very nervous today.
Machida, as I watched had a very uneven skate, and his musicality suffered. He can do better. Maybe it was the nerves. Let's check him out in the LP.

euroskate

Final Flight
liked joubert. there are definitely no downgrades! but most likely -3 on 3A and he is not getting much for his spins. the flying upright is hmm, in the combination it lookes to me that he is totaly missing an upright position wich would lead to the spin not counting, and in the change sit he is quite on the borarder of beeing to high and he is also not getting the last variaton.
as for the components - well he is a guy with great attitude and presentation and i somehow like his spanish side. he is doing transitions at least BUT they are mostely posing and on two feet!!! but still he does something always and it looks good

euroskate

Final Flight
just LOVE the flow and the easyness of Verners program. very good job. the only thing I would critizises is the back to back spins in the end. I just don´t like this with anybody. you should have enough time now to at least do some transitions between two spins

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've fallen in love with Brian this season . . . the staleness of his old style has gone away and it's like I'm rediscovering him for the first time. He desperately needed a fresh look and a fresh perspective and I think the new choreographers and the coaching change have done the trick for him. I'm so happy for the changes he has made this season! GO JOUBERT! :love:

Tomas Verner is still Mr. Personality on the ice. His SP is a beautiful concept, full of charm and lightheartedness. I still love him and his skating! :love: TOMAS FOR A WORLD MEDAL FINALLY THIS SEASON! :cool:

Takahiko Kozuka's new SP hasn't grabbed me the way last year's programs did, but there's no denying his skating skills and overall ability. I'm very happy to see him do well here. Another skater after my heart! :love:

I hope these 3 men make up the podium here in any order, and they easily should if they all skate up to their abilities. :rock:

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Loved Tomas's program! Is it just me or did it go by so quickly? It ended and I was like wow, it's over already? that was beautiful! Glad he kept it together and hope he can bring it tomorrow!

Also liked Joubert's program. I thought Kozuka was boring, where he was clean I think it's fine he's ahead of Joubert and Verner but I would have had the scores closer.

What happened to Contesti? He usually does so well...

lavender

Record Breaker
Joubert doesn't look like Lambiel to me but that program would look better on Lambiel. Lambiel could really bring the wow factor to it. Wasn't really wowed with Joubert skating to it.

Just finish watching and Lambiel would just bring a genuine interpretation to it. Joubert acts his way through it so it doesn't come across natural.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
After seeing live, some general thoughts:
Most enjoyable programs (per skate order)--Guan, Liebers, Machida, Joubert, Verner
Most boring--Mroz. Sorry to say this, but when watching his skating, I always think of constipation.
What the...?--Contesti. Agree with above poster, if he was trying to pull a Bradley, it didn't work. And without a pretty clean skate, definitely no hope. He looks thinner than last year--as in, unhealthy thin.

Kozuka vs Joubert: In real time, thought it would be really close on the scoring. A bit surprised with the 3 point separation. Got to see those protocols.

Kozuka: I liked the basic program but it needs some tweaks to work better. I don't like the long bit of posturing/posing at the beginning, and some extended stops for same during the program. Right now it's a little too...exhibitiony?

Joubert: I am coming around once again to liking Joubert, and this program for him. Maybe a little too much of the hand clapping bit. Fans happy he brought his 4T-3T! Not sure if judges 1-3 were impressed with the strategically placed hip wiggles right in front of their stations. :) More than the other skaters in this competition, he has ice command.

Verner: He looked both healthy and relaxed out there, which for him is excellent progress. With a bit of clean-up, this could be a great vehicle for him.

Miner: First time to ever see him. Got a lot of nice qualities in his skating. Maybe on the US Men's podium within 2 years?

I want to see more of: Guan, Machida & Liebers. Each has his techical issues, but I like that they don't skate generically. When each skates, you KNOW it's him without even consulting the program.

Thanks so much for the live reviews, in this and the other disciplines! It's so great to have a direct analysis.