Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Men - short program

Custom Title
    So happy for Kozuka and Joubert! [claps]!!

I'm very satisfied with the top 3!

Custom Title
    Joubert doesn't look like Lambiel to me but that program would look better on Lambiel. Lambiel could really bring the wow factor to it. Wasn't really wowed with Joubert skating to it.

Just finish watching and Lambiel would just bring a genuine interpretation to it. Joubert acts his way through it so it doesn't come across natural.
    Last edited by lavender; 11-05-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Custom Title
    After seeing live, some general thoughts:
    Most enjoyable programs (per skate order)--Guan, Liebers, Machida, Joubert, Verner
    Most boring--Mroz. Sorry to say this, but when watching his skating, I always think of constipation.
    What the...?--Contesti. Agree with above poster, if he was trying to pull a Bradley, it didn't work. And without a pretty clean skate, definitely no hope. He looks thinner than last year--as in, unhealthy thin.

Kozuka vs Joubert: In real time, thought it would be really close on the scoring. A bit surprised with the 3 point separation. Got to see those protocols.

Kozuka: I liked the basic program but it needs some tweaks to work better. I don't like the long bit of posturing/posing at the beginning, and some extended stops for same during the program. Right now it's a little too...exhibitiony?

Joubert: I am coming around once again to liking Joubert, and this program for him. Maybe a little too much of the hand clapping bit. Fans happy he brought his 4T-3T! Not sure if judges 1-3 were impressed with the strategically placed hip wiggles right in front of their stations. More than the other skaters in this competition, he has ice command.

Verner: He looked both healthy and relaxed out there, which for him is excellent progress. With a bit of clean-up, this could be a great vehicle for him.

Miner: First time to ever see him. Got a lot of nice qualities in his skating. Maybe on the US Men's podium within 2 years?

I want to see more of: Guan, Machida & Liebers. Each has his techical issues, but I like that they don't skate generically. When each skates, you KNOW it's him without even consulting the program.

Custom Title
    Thanks so much for the live reviews, in this and the other disciplines! It's so great to have a direct analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    I'm very satisfied with the top 3!

Me too. My dream podium in any order.

Custom Title

Custom Title
    I'm glad that Jinlin Guan tried a quad. Hopefully he will keep attempting ones and will land a clean one soon.

Custom Title
    Kozuka: Little startled with how bring that was, truth be told. I quite like him and thought his program last season was a masterpiece, but for a program entitled "Soul Man" it was startlingly paint by numbers

Joubert: He's hot and he's revitalized. He's just not my cup of tea. He's so clearly thinking his way through everything and "acting." It doesn't come naturally to him at all - the hands in particular (I actually think Abbott's movement was far more natural). That said, I'm definitely looking forward him to expanding his horizons here.

Verner: Ehh, expected more. Lovely ending though.

Machinda: Ehh. Love that he postponed his final jump until after two spins though.

Contesti: My goodness he's lost a lot of weight. I'd actually rather watch him than Bradley any day of the week, but he really does look scary thing now. Hopefully he's okay.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Since my blinkety blankety feed was frozen about 98 % of the time I'm madly catching up with youtubes today..

Glad to see the top 3 all do so well. I always love Kozuka's skating , and this program looks more comfortable on him than it did in the summer.I just love the way he moves.. Verner has a really charming program.. some very nice Gene Kelly inspired touches.. and it's so good to see him with the same costume on both sides of his body ( I know he didn't do it just for me , but I want to thank him from the bottom of my heart !) You can actually appreciate his grace and ease ..no distracting odd sleeves.. yay!..and Joubert ! OMG..he's sticking to the new choreo. so far. I can hardly believe it..No skin show in the costume, and I didn't see any hip wiggling / pelvic thrusting. There was a moment or two at his opening when the camera had his upper body in tight focus...maybe there , but if not, I don't know what bigsis.. was referring to. He does skate right up to the judges and do some fast toepick-stepping..toned way down IMO. His footwork seemed more inovative than what I've seen in the past. Bravo, Brian!

Very enjoyable SP competition for me...

Custom Title
    So I'm not the only one who noticed that Contesti looks a bit...um, manorexic? I wonder if he was sick this summer or something, he's clearly lost a lot of weight and it's hurt his jumping ability. He looked really pale too.

Custom Title
    thanks!

I like Verner's program the best, he's a natural charmer and lovely performer. he skated with so much grace, fluidity and personality. I can watch this over and over again. Don't understand the low score tho, especially comparing to Chan's 73+ SP with 3 falls!

Joubert's Flemenco reminds me so much of Lambiel's 07 LP, too many similarities between the choreography. I do appreciate his effort to improve his artistry, but he's still not Lambiel, it looked ... forced. That said, I would still put him ahead of Kozuka.

Kozuka has very nice SS, enjoy watching him gliding around, but this program is just boring and bland.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ae9177 View Post
    thanks!

I like Verner's program the best, he's a natural charmer and lovely performer. he skated with so much grace, fluidity and personality. I can watch this over and over again. Don't understand the low score tho, especially comparing to Chan's 73+ SP with 3 falls!

Joubert's Flemenco reminds me so much of Lambiel's 07 LP, too many similarities between the choreography. I do appreciate his effort to improve his artistry, but he's still not Lambiel, it looked ... forced. That said, I would still put him ahead of Kozuka.

Kozuka has very nice SS, enjoy watching him gliding around, but this program is just boring and bland.
    ITA on all accounts. Verner I think lost levels in his spins, the first one didn't have any change of position so obviously a level 1, and where he did 3f-3t as his combo the new lower GOE factoring applied. Joubert also lost levels on his spins apparently, and then the 3a cost both of them a few points at least. Had he not done 4t-3t as his combo, his score might have been lower than Verner's. Skate Canada was ridiculous score wise but if you think back to NHK, no one broke 80 in the SP, Amodio got 70 points, Abbott about 74 and then Takahashi 78 so it's very similar to the top 3 here. Only one step sequence now too so that makes a difference as well.

My impressions - I was half watching the Universal Broadcast tonight because I'm packing, but I did watch the top boys...

First off, what was with the Karate Kid hand motions from Brian Joubert? They were lame, and he was in the wrong movie! LOL The program was not that exciting for me. I love that piece of music even though it's used way too often in skating, and normally not very well. This was another one of those times.

Kozuka's first half of his program as ddduuuuulllllllll. And I was like Peter when the Soul Man part came on. Channel Dan Akroyd and John Belushi a bit (and no, I'm not dating myself, they were off of SNL/Dead long before I was born)!!! Or do something, have some FUN with that program. Hopefully by Worlds that thing just flies, otherwise it's going to put the audience to sleep.

And just as a note to Men's Skating - Singing in the Rain is off limits Kurt still owns it, those that have tried since don't come close to doing that music justice.

Alright, back to packing.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxyz1234533 View Post
    Joubert reminds me Lambiel in this short program
    Same choreographer, Antonio Najarro.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast