Pairs - short program | Golden Skate

Pairs - short program

Shaba22

Final Flight
Warm-Up Group 1
1 Kaleigh HOLE / Adam JOHNSON (CAN)
2 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG (USA)
3 Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Nodari MAISURADZE (RUS)
4 Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN (USA)

Warm-Up Group 2
5 Huibo DONG / Yiming WU (CHN)
6 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN)
7 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Yannick KOCON (ITA)
8 Qing PANG / Jian TONG (CHN)

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpchn2010/SEG005.HTM

I presume interest will be on the Chinese teams, with a nod to the 2 Americans if there was improvment. Also that Russian team might sneak in there.

Tesla

Final Flight
What were Sui/Han's deductions? They are so close to Pang/Tong even with those deductions!

Yank and Cough really improved. They will be in the last half of the LP.

Pang and Tong were not at their best. Maybe it's another 'held up' based on previsous record and eletism.

Wu and Dong looked good to me.

LLLLutz

Rinkside
Nobody watched pairs??? :p
I so liked the chinese Sui / Han and the russians!
The scores were a joke. The components scores were even bigger joke. Americans and Russians should have been first and second, in any order, and only after them Pong&Tong. Chinese kids are still kids, look like kids and skate like kids, no way they deserve the component scores as high as Ilushechkina or Yankovskas with partners.

Last edited:

Tesla

Final Flight
Home field advantage?

I wish the Americans' did better, although good for Y/C! I wish Keuna hadn't quit. :(

gold12345

Medalist
I'll need to see the protocols... I'm wondering why Iliushechkina & Maisuradze are in 4th instead of 2nd. Yes, they finished after the music and had a little shakiness on some of the elements (and a noticable stumble in the choreography). But I would have put them ahead of Sui and Han who had to count two falls during their choreography. Heck, I would have put the Russians in 1st, but Pang and Tong are the more sophisticated team, despite the errors. I'm okay with them having a very slight lead.

I'm also surprised Sui & Han could generate such high TES with only SBS 2A. They definitely benefit from doing the throw triple flip. They are still very juniorish, but they do sell the program pretty well.

Yankowskas & Coughlin had another solid short program... They've been skating clean shorts for years. It's the LP where they often come undone. I'm assuming they're focused mainly on consistency, but doing only a throw triple sal in the SP can't help their scoring potential much. I like their SP overall though... It's calm, and it masks some of their weaknesses.

The pairs scores are low again this week, but the scores are very close and there should be a pretty decent battle for the medals.

Last edited:

LLLLutz

Rinkside
I'll need to see the protocols... I'm wondering why Iliushechkina & Maisuradze are in 4th instead of 2nd. Yes, they finished after the music and had a little shakiness on some of the elements (and a noticable stumble in the choreography).

Most probably, she UR her 3toe. Still, presentation wise, they should have got the highest components scores.

hybfc

Rinkside
The scores were a joke. The components scores were even bigger joke. Americans and Russians should have been first and second, in any order, and only after them Pong&Tong. Chinese kids are still kids, look like kids and skate like kids, no way they deserve the component scores as high as Ilushechkina or Yankovskas with partners.

Your comment is the joke, actually.

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm going to agree that S/H benefited from skating at home.

They're a cute team with good presentation, no doubt about it. Their program has interesting transitions. But they are very young, and it showed. Their program really lacked maturity, unison (esp. in the footwork) and her basics need quite a bit of work. I would have had them much closer to Y/C and I/M. Actually, I'd have them 4th, but all 4 teams close in score. Y/C and I/M have better skating skills than Sui/Han; the latter have a program with really good transitions and Y/C had a good skate that was quite elegant though not exactly my favorite of the night.

P/T were a mess.

There is absolutely no way that Evora/Ladwig deserve lower PCS than Dong/Wu.

Y/C have a really good shot at the US National title in pairs this year.

Also, re: Sui/Han, they better hope she doesn't grow, as he's quite short, and she's still very tiny.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
There is absolutely no way that Evora/Ladwig deserve lower PCS than Dong/Wu.

I haven't even seen it yet and I agree with this statement. Happy they skated pretty well for their international debut but their PCS scores were awfully disappointing. :disapp: :unsure: :confused:

nodreams

Spectator
I've just come out from the COC. S/H were amazing! So bad that he've made a mistake, but the whole package was SO IMPRESSIVE! The audiences love them, they were the highlight of the night!
And I don't know why everyone loves I/M here, their performance was borning and they didn't show the passion. They're not as beautiful as they're in the television, just so dissappointed, E/L should have better socore than them!
E/L and Y/C were SOOO GOOD! E/L were robbed! They should be at least better than I/M! Their proformance was a lot of passion! LOVE THEM! Hope they can get a better score tommorrow!

cornell08

Final Flight
Cong and Sui are in second because they have the most 'complex' choreography that allows them to really get into character, even if it may seem 'juniorish'. I recall similar reactions to Oda's Chaplin last year. The difficult transitions (even if they may be one too many...and they need to stop the constant lasso-arm thing) increase the difficulty of all the required elements since you have more to worry about before every throw, jump etc and you have to pull it off as if it were only an afterthought. Also they didn't fall on one of the big required elements. They skate with great speed, ice coverage, and have huge throws. This is why they are in second, though I believe they ought to be in first. I really enjoyed their program, actually.

Here is their short:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g88KWiJlLP0

While I like C/Y, they don't skate with enough speed and John's posture (slouch much?) needs and has always needed some...correction.. though Caitlin has great extension and presentation. But I do think C/Y and E/L have the best chance of nabbing nationals champions this year. Hope they medal here :)

And for the pairs judging favoring home ice favs P/T-- well, it is nothing compared to Skate Canada is all I have to say.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I have also just arrived home from CoC. Based on what I saw, I think the judges' order is correct, although I don't agree with the score spread of the top 5. Pang/Tong didn't have their finest skate technically (and they were 4th in TES), but the overall quality of skating was clearly above any other pair out there, and PCS rightfully on top which puts them in #1 but not way out there. I like their program. Sui/Han: this pair had more energy and presence than any of the more senior teams, aided by music and choreography that was appropriate for their ages, skills, and style. They made me grin the entire way through the program--and that's not easy for a skater to do (I'm more likely to be grimacing). Even with the fall (which happened right in front of me), they got right back into it. I could have sworn they did a triple twist rather than a double like everyone else--possibly my eyes deceived me but we'll wait for protocols to see why those TES were highest. I think their PCS was too high on the SS/TR dimensions by at least a couple of points. I would have had them neck and neck with Yankowskas/Coughlin, with YC deserving their PCS or even a bit better. They did a great job, considering in the warm up she was really struggling with the SBS jumps. I did not think I/M's performance was boring, but I'm not fond of the music/program. They had good speed and managed to keep up their energy all the way through. I thought their marks were fair. I was (pleasantly) surprised that they were able to skate this well with no apparent loss of stamina, after arriving here from from Canada just a couple of days ago.

Evora/Ladwig had a nice program but they seemed a little "tight" and maybe a tad flat emotionally. I think their PCS marks are way too low--I don't see how they could have been scored lower than about 25.0. Next to last in PCS? Definitely not. They ABSOLUTELY should have PCS above the Italians and Dong/Wu. IMO, this was the most glaring screw-over of the pairs short, so not sure what to make of this. D-M/K pretty much powered through their program, but there was nothing special or memorable, and there skating is fairly one dimensional without nuance. A little sloppy in the last half. Maybe it's the music/choreo, I knew very little about them coming into this comp. Dong/Wu had some good elements but spins were not and it looked like getting her into the lift was a slight struggle. BTW, her hair was very distracting--she needs to either cut it way short, or get it pinned back and under control. The mini-Yuko Kavaguti look doesn't work for me. The orchestration of their music is too heavy with percussion, something about it clashes with their skating style. Hole/Johnson didn't look comfortable at all--I was expecting better. He looks like a much stronger basic skater than she. Their music choice doesn't do them any favors. I'm hoping it's all just a case of jet lag for them.