Sectionals/Challenge Discussion | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sectionals/Challenge Discussion

geoskate

On the Ice
Comparing the actual entries back to the original listing above, the junior listings appear to be unchanged. There are a few minor changes in senior:
1. As nadster suggested, Andrei Rogozine is not listed in senior men, presumably because he will be at the JPG Final and gets a bye to Canadians.
2. From the Quebec section in senior men, Louis-Philippe Sirois has been replaced by David Struthers.
3. Also in senior men, Alexander Sheldrick from WOS is not listed. He was listed in the entries for WOS sectionals, but did not compete at the event.
4. In senior women Gabrielle Anne Cormier is listed. She was originally listed in the entries for NB sectionals but did not compete, I think. She would go through anyway because there were only two senior women competing in the section.
5. There are seven entries in pairs rather than five, since Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford and Kaleigh Hole/Adam Johnson are entered. They don't need to compete here, since both teams have a bye to nationals, but probably they want the competitive experience.
6. There are only five entries in senior dance rather than seven because the teams of Sarah Lysne/Christopher Steeves (AB), Alexa-Marie Arotta/Martin Nickel (MB) and Marie-Eve Fournier/Derek Green (Quebec) all are not competing, even though they were listed as entries at their respective sectionals. On the other hand Kharis Ralph/Asher Hill, who have a bye to nationals due to the Senior Grand Prix event, are competing.

Last edited:

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Comparing the actual entries back to the original listing above, the junior listings appear to be unchanged. There are a few minor changes in senior:

6. There are only five entries in senior dance rather than seven because the teams of Sarah Lysne/Christopher Steeves (AB), Alexa-Marie Arotta/Martin Nickel (MB) and Marie-Eve Fournier/Derek Green (Quebec) all are not competing, even though they were listed as entries at their respective sectionals. On the other hand Kharis Ralph/Asher Hill, who have a bye to nationals due to the Senior Grand Prix event, are competing.

I don't understand why Alexa-Marie/Martin, and Marie-Eve/Derek aren't competing. Don't they have to in order to go to Nationals? Because there are so few teams, everyone just goes to Nationals? Or did these teams quit?

nadster

Final Flight
I don't understand why Alexa-Marie/Martin, and Marie-Eve/Derek aren't competing. Don't they have to in order to go to Nationals? Because there are so few teams, everyone just goes to Nationals? Or did these teams quit?

There aren't enough dance teams ( even considering byes ) to eliminate any dance teams at the challenge this year. See geoskate's previous post listing the dance teams. At most there will be 13 teams at nationals this year where there are 15 spots available ( byed + challenge). So competing there is optional

What it would mean though is that the teams that were able to skip the challenge solely due to lack of challenge entries , should they show up at nationals, would be the first to skate at nationals.

Skate order is the following for the SD at Canadians. My definition of a byed skater is one who medalled at last Canadians, got a senior GP assignment or made the JGPF ( the valid ways of being able to skip the challenge no matter how many teams entered the challenge)

1. Skaters that did not compete at challenge but only got to Canadians due to lack of entries at the challenge.
2. Reverse order of results of non-byed skaters at challenge.
3. Byed skaters who did not skate at senior dance last year ( Paul/Islam)
4. Byed skaters in reverse order

sk8rdad

On the Ice

Marie-Eve/Derek did not compete at Sectionals and are missing challenge due to an injury.

geoskate

On the Ice
The latest listing of enties for the JPG Final confirms SubRosa's original hypothesis of what would happen with Jones/Gaskell - they are now in the JPG Final, with Sui/Han competing only in the Senior Grand Prix final. Therefore Jones/Gaskell won't be at Challenge. That leaves six pair teams competing.

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
Good news for those who were hoping to see something from Challenge - the entire event is being streamed live. This link gives the schedule (all times EST, I think). Also on that page is a link to SkateTV, which is doing the actual streaming.

The streaming starts on Wednesday, December 1, at 9:30 AM EST, with the junior men's short program, and runs through to Sunday, with the last event being the senior men's free starting at 4:20 PM EST.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Good news for those who were hoping to see something from Challenge - the entire event is being streamed live. This link gives the schedule (all times EST, I think). Also on that page is a link to SkateTV, which is doing the actual streaming.

The streaming starts on Wednesday, December 1, at 9:30 AM EST, with the junior men's short program, and runs through to Sunday, with the last event being the senior men's free starting at 4:20 PM EST.

WOW! They are awesome at Skatebuzz!! Not everyone can make the journey to Mississauga, and this is such a great service. I really, really hope they show everything at Junior Nationals and Nationals as well.

mariposa

Rinkside
I'm not getting the feed from Challenge....is there another live stream available..I'm in the U.S.

dgel

On the Ice
I'm sure there will be no other source other than Skatebuzz- we're lucky to get that! Some of skatebuzz is Canada only, although I am surprised to find that challenge would be. Unfortunately although the technology is there to stream live SC don't seem to have live results, or even rapidly updated results in place...

travis porter

Spectator
So in my opinion it looks like the winners from the short prgrams, are going to stay the same in novice and junior men. well unless nam has another clean skate like he did last year at divisionals but i don't know shaquille has a pretty big lead on him. (any thoughts on this?)

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
I was just able to peek in for a couple of junior men and dance teams. I was very impressed by Shaquille Davis, seeing him did a 3A from standing still in the warmup. He's got the jumps and also the musicality, once he gets more power into his edges and more polished, yum, will be quite a recipe:thumbsup:

I saw Rachel Kirkland gives a try in junior dance after giving up pairs, but that really accentuates her weakness in basic skating skills, her edges are very weak.:think:

Last edited:

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Top 3 senior ladies after the short program:

1. Alexandra Najarro
2. Dallas Daniel
3. Kate Charbonneau

geoskate

On the Ice
Top three men were 1) Samuel Angers, 2) Garrett Gosselin, 3) Nam Nguyen. I would never have predicted the top two going in, although they are certainly talented skaters. Garrett seems to have trouble with his nerves quite often, but held it together reasonably well here. His high component marks help him out a lot. Samuel had a very solid skate, with six triples landed. I hope he's age-eligible for the JGP next year, because it looks like he'll be ready for it by next year.

The novice men were also good (in terms of jump content, at least, can't comment on the programs because I haven't seen them). The winner, Mathieu Nepton, attempted seven triples including a Lutz and a flip, and landed most of the jumps.

Kypma

Final Flight
Jessica Dubé is currently in 11th place after the short. She doubled the Lutz (intended combination) and single the Salchow, but garnered the highest PCS scores of all senior ladies. Hopefully she's gotten over the nerves of skating along and will do better in the long today. I think someone said earlier that the top 12 ladies from Challenge will make it to Nationals, so I hope she does. Someone uploaded her short, albeit with a poor audio quality, to YouTube here. It's so wonderful to see a different expression from her in the step sequence -- she's smiling like she's really having fun, and it's really nice to see!

nadster

Final Flight
Top three men were 1) Samuel Angers, 2) Garrett Gosselin, 3) Nam Nguyen. I would never have predicted the top two going in, although they are certainly talented skaters. Garrett seems to have trouble with his nerves quite often, but held it together reasonably well here. His high component marks help him out a lot. Samuel had a very solid skate, with six triples landed. I hope he's age-eligible for the JGP next year, because it looks like he'll be ready for it by next year.

The novice men were also good (in terms of jump content, at least, can't comment on the programs because I haven't seen them). The winner, Mathieu Nepton, attempted seven triples including a Lutz and a flip, and landed most of the jumps.

Was very impressed with the top scores in novice mens and ladies. Of course had they competed junior, their scores would likely be even higher because the novices get lower PCS multipliers thus lowering their scores quite a bit. Even if you take out the novice bonuses and double the deductions for falls ( to stay in line with the junior standards ) those marks will go way up in junior.

Will make an attempt to "juniorize" the top novice ladies and mens score in a later post. Since the protocols are there, I can do this. This is not an exact science ( some SP assumptions have to be made because skaters don't have a choice with the jump out of steps in junior as opposed to having a choice in novice ) but it will give a reasonable idea of where they would be in a junior competition right now.

Sweet6.0

Rinkside
I agree the novice events were quite strong this year... I was also especially impressed with the junior ladies as well (seems as if more triples were attempted - and landed - than in years past)

Back to novice though, I suspect a lot of kids may have chosen to stay back to try to qualify for the Canada Winter Games this year (not that there's anything wrong with that)... But I really think its good to see such high technical content developing at a young age!

mariposa

Rinkside
Does anyone have reports from senior ladies? I see where DeSanctis pulled up from sixth to third with an almost clean long..what happened to Charbonneau? I saw her short and thought for sure she'd be on fire in the long. Also I was very disappointed in the way Dube was scored...now just looking on paper I can't figure out for the life of me how she ended up in sixth place..this is no reflection on Jess or any other skater mentioned but soley on the judging. I mean what are they thinking? I thought the over all judging was a little off kilter, but in some instances in was ridiculous! Any thoughts?

callalily

On the Ice
I attended the senior ladies but was in and out so I didn't see every competitor. Nonetheless, I have to say that most of the ladies were very "rough around the edges", even if they landed (some of) the jumps. Jessica stands out for her skating skills and polished presentation. From watching live, I'm not surprised that she would have a significant component mark advantage.