Sectionals/Challenge Discussion | Golden Skate

Sectionals/Challenge Discussion

geoskate

On the Ice
This seems like the appropriate place to put a thread about sectionals and challenge.

Northern Ontario sectionals have already occurred. The link to the entries is here. I can't find the actual results link (i.e. scores, jump details, etc), but the medallists and challenge entries are listed in this press release.

New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island are holding a combined sectionals this weekend. It's actually being broadcast on Skatebuzz. Link to the entries is here. (Download the first entry under technical info). The schedule is here.. Again, it has to be downloaded.

geoskate

On the Ice
All of the remaining sectional competitions except B.C., Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Western Ontario take place this weekend.

Here's the entry list for Alberta and the schedule. Senior ice dancers Sarah Lysne/Christopher Steeves are entered here (14th at Canadians). They were entered at Thornhill and Minto but did not compete, so I was wondering if they were still skating. It looks like they are.

Here's the link to the entries for the Manitoba sectionals this weekend. The starting orders are listed as live links beside the 'starting order' highlighted in blue.

geoskate

On the Ice
Entries for the Quebec sectionals are listed here, and the results are at this link. The results are being updated every day at the end of the day, so some of the result links are already live. I like the way they list the entries, with the BYE entries listed but with a 'BYE' beside their name. Quebec certainly leads the way in number of entries, with for example about 220 pre-novice women entered. Even after qualification rounds they still had 85 pre-novice women skating the short program. I think there is one new senior pair entered (Alexie Gelinas/David Struthers); at least, I haven't seen their names entered in any competition previously.

For the Eastern Ontario sectionals the skater listing is here and
the start orders are here (about halfway down the page).

For the Central Ontario sectionals the schedule is here and the skating listings/results link is here.

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
There are four competitions taking place next weekend.

For the Western Ontario sectionals the schedule is here and the list of entries is here. Terra Findlay/Dmitri Dun of Ukraine are entered in senior ice dance as guests.

Schedule for the Saskatchewan section is here, and list of entries is here.

For the Newfoundland/Labrador section, the schedule and list of entries are both at this page..

Finally, the schedule for the BC sectionals is at this link, and the list of entries is at this link.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Entries for the Quebec sectionals are listed here, and the results are at this link. The results are being updated every day at the end of the day, so some of the result links are already live. I like the way they list the entries, with the BYE entries listed but with a 'BYE' beside their name. Quebec certainly leads the way in number of entries, with for example about 220 pre-novice women entered. Even after qualification rounds they still had 85 pre-novice women skating the short program. I think there is one new senior pair entered (Alexie Gelinas/David Struthers); at least, I haven't seen their names entered in any competition previously.

For the Eastern Ontario sectionals the skater listing is here and
the start orders are here (about halfway down the page).

For the Central Ontario sectionals the schedule is here and the skating listings/results link is here.

And bless COS, who has the results up live; EOS will have them up by, hmmm ... Christmas - ? and probably no detail reports.

Anyways, Sophie Fu won EOS Juvenile Ladies.

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
And bless COS, who has the results up live; EOS will have them up by, hmmm ... Christmas - ?

I had to laugh at this, because it is quite true. Well - perhaps not Christmas, but usually it's at least a week or two until results from competitions are up.

Quebec and COS set the gold standard in Canada for posting competitive results, IMO. Saskatchewan is surprisingly good, considering that they are a small section.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I just had a couple quick questions about sectionals format. In each of the disciplines, how many skaters from each sectional competition make it to the challenge event? How many from the challenge make it to nationals? Who automatically qualifies for nationals without attending sectionals and challenge first?

This last question in particular came up when I was looking at the COS sectionals results, amd I noticed that there was no senior dance event. I had assumed that since Paul/Islam skated as juniors last season, they would have to attend both sectionals and challenge to qualify for nationals. Now, I had no doubts that they would win both events, but I was curious about how they got out of them. Did Skate Canada give them a free pass through to nationals? There was no question about them qualifying, and they definately earned it, so it would make sense if that's what happened.

geoskate

On the Ice
The qualification procedure is explained well in this document on the BC section site.

Page 9 is the key page. According to it, each section qualifies the top four skaters to challenge (top 8 in Quebec, since it's a much bigger section). In addition, skaters who had a senior or junior Grand Prix assignment, or who had a senior international assignment, get byed through directly to Challenge, not having to compete at sectionals. (This would apply to Paul/Islam). My understanding is that the byed skaters entries to Challenge are in addition to the four skaters or teams who qualified by being top four at sectionals, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm this or correct it.

The medallists from the 2010 Canadian Championships in senior have a bye directly through to Canadians, and do not compete at Challenge.

Page 10 of the document talks about the selection procedure from Challenge for Canadians. For Novice and Junior, qualifiers are top 18 in singles, top 12 in pairs and top 15 in dance.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can fill in more of the details.

nadster

Final Flight
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can fill in more of the details.

Those with JGP assignments and/or senior B's don't have to compete at sectionals but do have to compete at the challenge.

Paul/Islam would get a bye straight to nationals since they got a senior GP event.

Those who made the JGPF would also get a bye straight to nationals since it is held at the same time as the challenge. One thing though. You can only use the JGPF bye in the event(s) that you made the JGPF in. So you can't use your pairs JGPF slot to get a bye in ladies for example even though there is a clear competition conflict.

geoskate

On the Ice
That's actually quite a few byes to nationals using those criteria, then:

1. Men: Byes due to Canadian medals Patrick Chan, Kevin Reyolds; byes due to senior Grand Prix assignments Shawn Sawyer, Jeremy Ten (4 out of 18 spaces)

2. Women: Byes due to Canadian medals Cynthia Phaneuf, Myriane Samson; byes dues to senior Grand Prix assignments Amelie Lacoste, Diane Szmiett (4 out of 18 spaces)

3. Pairs: Byes due to Canadian medals Dube/Davison; byes dues to senior Grand Prix assignments Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Lawrence/Swiegers, Duhamel/Radford, Bordeur/Mattatall, Hole/Johnson (6 out of 12 spots)

4. Dance: Byes due to Canadian medals Virtue/Moir (if they can compete by that time), Crone/Poirier, Weaver/Poje; byes dues to senior Grand Prix assignments Paul/Islam, Arnold/Trojek, Ralph/Hill (6 out of 15 spots).

geoskate

On the Ice
Interesting that according to the detailed reports Shaquille Davis attempted and apparently rotated a 4T in long program (with a fall). If he continues with that attempt through to Nationals, he will be the first junior skater in Canada ever to attempt both a 3A and a 4T in the long program at nationals, I think.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Quebec results look very interesting, at least in dance.... Many low SD scores, but then a ton of really high FD scores. Oliveira/Hockley would have been 4th in Quebec based on these results. Right. Whatever. Anyone happen to attend the Eastern sectionals and know the scores and results so we don't have to wait until Christmas? :laugh:

travis porter

Spectator
I watched most of the events at the cos sectionals sunday, where i got to watch the junior men and shaquille davis actually landed a really nice quad in the warm up. But i was very surprised/impressed by his skating its becoming alot better with detail especially since last year. (i think)

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Quebec results look very interesting, at least in dance.... Many low SD scores, but then a ton of really high FD scores. Oliveira/Hockley would have been 4th in Quebec based on these results. Right. Whatever. Anyone happen to attend the Eastern sectionals and know the scores and results so we don't have to wait until Christmas? :laugh:

Should have known better than to make a snarky comment ... they're up now.

http://www.skate-eos.on.ca/competitionssub_10-11results.html

nadster

Final Flight
That's actually quite a few byes to nationals using those criteria, then:

1. Men: Byes due to Canadian medals Patrick Chan, Kevin Reyolds; byes due to senior Grand Prix assignments Shawn Sawyer, Jeremy Ten (4 out of 18 spaces)

3. Pairs: Byes due to Canadian medals Dube/Davison; byes dues to senior Grand Prix assignments Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Lawrence/Swiegers, Duhamel/Radford, Bordeur/Mattatall, Hole/Johnson (6 out of 12 spots)

You forgot the byes in seniors due to JGPF assignments. Rogozine will compete senior at nationals and has a straight bye to nationals due to the JGPF.

Two Canadian pairs also made the JGPF. I don't know if they plan to compete junior or senior at nationals but both teams have straight byes to nationals too. So there is a possibility that there are only 4 open spots at the challenge in pairs.

mariposa

Rinkside
I can't seem to get all the results from senior ladies from their respective sections...has anyone compiled a list of the ladies moving on to challenge? Merci.

geoskate

On the Ice
Thanks for adding the correction. Therefore there are 5 out of 18 spots taken in Men.

Both Purich/Schultz and Steele/Schultz are entered in junior, according to the entries for the Alberta section (in post #2) and WOS (post #4). Therefore I guess there will be two fewer open spots in juniors, but the open spots in senior pairs should remain at six.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I can't seem to get all the results from senior ladies from their respective sections...has anyone compiled a list of the ladies moving on to challenge? Merci.

It's my opinion that Skate Canada needs a new webmaster. Basic stuff like even the results from sections are not posted. What is behind the results links turns about to be random links to regional websites--even if the regional sites have their results up, (as Eastern Ontario does), the link doesn't take you there.

nadster

Final Flight

I don't even try to do this as there are many sections with 4 or fewer skaters at the senior level ( 8 in the case of Quebec ). In those sections where there are not enough skaters to eliminate anybody at sectionals, those skaters don't even have to show up.

Those skaters do have the right to compete in another section as a guest and many skaters do this.

The other problem is that many sections won't list those skaters who go to challenge by default ( not enough entries in that section to eliminate anyone).

I would wait until the challenge entries are up for the seniors at least.

geoskate

On the Ice
Results for Manitoba are up now too, at http://www.mbskates.ca/Competition.html. There were no senior competitors for this section. (Arotta/Nickel are registered as guests for the Western Ontario sectionals.)

Results are not yet posted for the sectionals from Northern Ontario (other than medallists), Alberta or the combined New Brunswick/Nova Scotia/PEI event, or if they are I haven't found them.