Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - LP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Yes, it did. She was OTP by just 2.38 points. With a Double Axel worth 3.3 plus + GOE she probably would've gotten, she would've been easily on the medal stand.

So close in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Qiuying Zhu withdraws “for medical reasons.”
    Zhu competed with an injury. It was always unclear whether she'd be able to skate the LP.

Custom Title
    Here's what Diane Szmiett did in the FS: 3z<↓, 1s, 1f, 2t, 2a, 3t↓, 1a

She landed 0 triples and just two doubles, yet she scored 57.26

At NHK, she did 2z+2t, 3s-hd, 2f-fo, 3t↓, 2a↓, 1a, abort spin.

Diane landed a total of 1 triple and 4 doubles at NHK and was scored 56.43, but scored higher at CoC for much lesser content. Go figure. And her spins and footwork at CoC weren't really any better than they were at NHK.

In any case, what WAS Skate Canada thinking when they allowed Diane to skate in the GP. She was scoring the same low scores in summer competition, so they had to know she was in no shape to compete internationally. I think she's put on a few pounds, just enough to affect her ability to jump. She has a slight double chin, which I don't recall seeing on her last year. She definitely needs to get herself into proper competition shape.
    Last edited by chuckm; 11-06-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    I wonder why Mirai's last combo 2A+2T was voided? Does anyone know? She had only done a 3Lz+2T+2T and a 3L+2T before hand, so I'm confused. I know the protocols says the second 3F was supposed to be a sequence, but she fell on it so it was counted an a execution of one jump right?
    Becaused it was the second 3F and so it was required to be in combination/sequence which made the 2A+2T an invalid jump pass (4th combo/sequence)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Here's what Diane Szmiett did in the FS: 3z<↓, 1s, 1f, 2t, 2a, 3t↓, 1a

She landed 0 triples and just two doubles, yet she scored 57.26

At NHK, she did 2z+2t, 3s-hd, 2f-fo, 3t↓, 2a↓, 1a, abort spin.

Diane landed a total of 1 triple and 4 doubles at NHK and was scored 56.43, but scored higher at CoC for much lesser content. Go figure. And her spins and footwork at CoC weren't really any better than they were at NHK.

In any case, what WAS Skate Canada thinking when they allowed Diane to skate in the GP. She was scoring the same low scores in summer competition, so they had to know she was in no shape to compete internationally. I think she's put on a few pounds, just enough to affect her ability to jump. She has a slight double chin, which I don't recall seeing on her last year. She definitely needs to get herself into proper competition shape.
    Szmiett was 4th at nationals and had pretty good showings at 09 CoC and 10 4CC, so her Grand Prix assignments weren't that surprising, especially where Joannie is not competing on the GP this season.

This was an ok ladies' event. My personal favourite was Akiko, even though she messed up some jumps. I feel sorry for Mirai, but she was injured, so that could be an explanation. Her score was extremely low though. Miki was pretty good, but kind of dull, like Kurt Browning said, haha. Leonova was pretty good. I think that's everyone who CBC actually showed, and I didn't watch a live feed.

I love Akiko! Incredible charisma, musicality, soul and passion when she skates!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Zhu competed with an injury. It was always unclear whether she'd be able to skate the LP.
    Then she should have been withdrawn from the competition well before it started, and not risk further injury. This would also have left a spot open for somebody else to be invited, most likely non-Chinese. Yan Liu was scratched also. When 2 out of 3 of the assigned Chinese ladies (= 16.7% of the total field) can't do the competition in their own home territory, expect it to be noticed and commented upon. The excuses don't matter.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    I love Akiko! Incredible charisma, musicality, soul and passion when she skates!
    Akiko is a doll! So full of joy and energy! She's so lovable! Beautiful, radiant smile! IMO she had the best programs in this competition by far! Too bad about her performance in the LP; if not for the jump mistakes, she could have easily won this title for the 2nd year in a row.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Hate to say it but i'm about done putting my faith in Mirai. Injury or no injury she doesn't seem to have the mental toughness to be a champion. All she had to do to medal was stay on her feet and not be sloppy. This was a weak field and she still didn't win a medal. These LP meltdowns are getting to be a habit. Are we seeing the new Sasha Cohen?
    The new Sasha Cohen? I think not.
    Sasha, at worst, made 2 mistakes and still stood on the podium.
    Mirai made about 5 mistakes every times. She's no Sasha. She hasn't even medaled at a GP event yet.
    I'm convinced Mirai's Olympics LP was a fluke. That was maybe the only time she did a clean long program.

Thank goodness Akiko is getting the highest PCS in the LP and second highest PCS in the SP.

Down With It
    While people continue to count out Nagasu- that might be just what she needs- I'll play the waiting game a bit longer. It's still too soon IMO to tell what direction she's headed in. Remember that she was injured for a bit of the off-season period. Also I don't think she is well-known for peaking in this time period anyway. Better now than at Nats.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    She still should have been on the podium. Even if you want to disagree with my "the judging system is stupid for discounting the entire 2Axel rather than just the extra jumps", Alena Leonova did 3 Triple Flips. That first "Lutz" was NOT a Lutz. That is a Flip entrance, so one of her Flips actually deserved to be discounted entirely, unlike Mirai's 2Axel.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    She still should have been on the podium. Even if you want to disagree with my "the judging system is stupid for discounting the entire 2Axel rather than just the extra jumps", Alena Leonova did 3 Triple Flips. That first "Lutz" was NOT a Lutz. That is a Flip entrance, so one of her Flips actually deserved to be discounted entirely, unlike Mirai's 2Axel.
    That turn immediately before the toe-pick makes it so evidently a flip that I'm wondering what the ISU's definition of a lutz vs. a flip is. Her edge was rather flat, too. The tech caller is supposed to be a technical expert, no? He/she should have called it flip or worse a lip (if Alena had an outside edge).

Custom Title
    Mirai looked very good in the gala though. So smooth, and a great to see a happy smile on her face

http://tvali.ge/index.php?action=sat&channel=70954

(I think the program starts around 12:05)

Her gala was good but no lutz, flip or sal

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast