Ladies - LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mirai has certainly grown up in just the months since we saw her last at Worlds. I would even say she looked sexy at the gala. Am i allowed to say that since she's still only 17? LOL

Yes she has grown into a very attractive young lady.

I just wondering how long we are going to wait until it dawns on us that maybe Miria will never fullfill her potential. She doesn't seem to have it together mentally and maybe never will. Say what you want about someone like Sarah Hughes but even when she was 14,15 she was medaling at senior events and almost always kept it together. She was a bit like Rachael Flatt in that she was solid as a rock but with superior skills.

Pure speculation on your part. Are you channeling Cleo and her crystal ball?
By the way who is the "we" you are referring to?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, there are two major counterexamples: Nationals 2009 and Olys 2010.

It's not like [Mirai]'s Kostner or Czisny or anything- although I can understand if one only watched last year's Worlds and this year's COC why one would think that way.

?? Mirai finished 5th at Nationals 2009, behind Czisny, Flatt, Zhang and Wagner. I think you're thinking of Nationals 2008, which she won---but at 14, she was too young to go to Worlds.

Even the headcases have a good skate from time to time. Think of Phaneuf, who skated well at Worlds 2010 to everyone's shock. But Cynthia couldn't hold it together at SC after winning the SP. Mirai has had some of her folds after being in first place after the SP. The pressure of expectations can be too much for competitors with shaky competition nerves.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hate to say it but i'm about done putting my faith in Mirai. Injury or no injury she doesn't seem to have the mental toughness to be a champion. All she had to do to medal was stay on her feet and not be sloppy. This was a weak field and she still didn't win a medal. These LP meltdowns are getting to be a habit. Are we seeing the new Sasha Cohen?

I'm a huge Sasha fan-but gosh I hope not. I'm hoping Mirai is mentally and psychologically made of tougher stuff. She did great at the Olympics-4th with 3 skaters above her who were simply superior.

Thank you everyone-I enjoyed reading the pbp very much! Now I'm off to try and find some vids. :)

I just watched Mirai's LP. She seems to be struggling for breath in parts-perhaps endurance is still somewhat of an issue due to the layoff from the injury. I think the program has potential but still not loving it just yet. Miki looked quite workman-like out there. She got the job done but like Mirai I'm not loving the program-yet.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty

It's not like she's Kostner or Czisny or anything- although I can understand if one only watched last year's Worlds and this year's COC why one would think that way.

Or last year COC, SC, Nationals. :).
Her only clean LP was at the Olympics. Her 2008 Nationals LP, they overlooked the majority of her jumps.
Of course she's not Kostner or Czisny, the other two won their GP events. :laugh:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It's not like she's Kostner or Czisny or anything- although I can understand if one only watched last year's Worlds and this year's COC why one would think that way.
True But Mira also bombed at last years COC after leading. Also at the Olympics she wasn't leading and had no chance at a medal so she didn't have nearly the pressure as she had at Worlds or this years COC.