Men - LP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men - LP

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Me too. But good for him.
Last year, and missing the Olympics had to be very hard on him.

And good for Ross-it sounds like he did better than at NHK.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Nope, Kozuka wins the LP over Mroz by 3 pts., not sure if I agree but the Japanese men have been coming on strong.

Final results, Kozuka 1st, Mroz 2nd, Verner 3rd, Joubert 4th (Contesti 6th).

Yeah, I'd have to agree the Lps were kinda boring compared to the Sps.

C'est la vie.... :)

doubleflutz

On the Ice
Why are you shocked? Mroz just did what Chan has never done - a clean skate

Not just that, his jump content was harder than what everyone else did by quite a lot (except maybe Kozuka, but I wasn't looking too much at the jumps but the whole program). Clean quad, two triple axels (and 3A-3T I think, not 3A-2T), two triple lutz, 3F on his three-jump combo late in the program, and two more clean triples (loop and sal, I think). Not much of a program in my opinion, but with TES like that, he doesn't really need one to beat the kind of performances everyone else turned in.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols Kozuka wins the LP by 10 pts. Hmmm, I'd give him PCS, but not TES. He won the TES by 3 pts. over Mroz. Yes, Brandon definitely needs to work on his presentation, et al, but his technical is pretty darn good.

Wow, Brandon's PCS mark is 11 pts. less than his TES mark, rightfully so, which is a wake-up call for him to work on this aspect of his skating.

But I'm sooooo happy he finally won a medal on the GP! He's the youngest skater the USA has, and therefore he has lots of time to develop. :) :clap:

enlight78

Medalist
yay!! Kozuka won by a land slide, but killed my fantasy picks, i decided to not pick my favorites but to pick who had the highest tech potential, dumb me, will always pick my favs from now on, only Chan , Oda, Daisuke, Kozuka, and Adam has broken 230 barrier so far, the other fellows have some catching up to do, US is coming strong with three medals in three events, abbott's silver , adam's bronz ,and Mroz silver

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Why are you shocked? Mroz just did what Chan has never done - a clean skate

Captain subtext to the rescue: Is a Canadian fan criticizing an American skater? Sacre bleu, arm the battleships! Fire at will!!!!

I'm shocked because despite doing well at Nationals 2009, Mroz has been flawed at every skate since, and I virtually wrote him off. He didn't even make the top six Nationally last year, did he? So to see him skate clean itself was shocking. Then to see Verner's LP... well, not shocking at all. Joubert lowballed the way he was to me was shocking. He only scored three points more than his Olympic skate, and that was thought to be a disaster. I was watching Kozuka and I thought he might actually win the whole thing. Now obviously, that didn't happen, and rightfully so. Kozuka moves on the ice much more fluidly than Mroz and has better choreography, as opposed to the stroke-stroke-stroke element-stroke stroke stroke program that Mroz has, but I genuinely thought Mroz could win. And if that doesn't shock you, then you have a stronger consitution than I.

Check out the predictions. Only two people (Layfan and fairly4) predicted he'd be a medal contender and the practice reports had him messing up every single jump.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Captain subtext to the rescue: Is a Canadian fan criticizing an American skater? Sacre bleu, arm the battleships! Fire at will!!!!

I'm shocked because despite doing well at Nationals 2009, Mroz has been flawed at every skate since, and I virtually wrote him off. He didn't even make the top six Nationally last year, did he? So to see him skate clean itself was shocking. Then to see Verner's LP... well, not shocking at all. Joubert lowballed the way he was to me was shocking. He only scored three points more than his Olympic skate, and that was thought to be a disaster. I was watching Kozuka and I thought he might actually win the whole thing. Now obviously, that didn't happen, and rightfully so. Kozuka moves on the ice much more fluidly than Mroz and has better choreography, as opposed to the stroke-stroke-stroke element-stroke stroke stroke program that Mroz has, but I genuinely thought Mroz could win. And if that doesn't shock you, then you have a stronger consitution than I.

Check out the predictions. Only two people (Layfan and fairly4) predicted he'd be a medal contender and the practice reports had him messing up every single jump.

So much energy so early in the morning!
Geez, I was kidding you :p

herios

Medalist
Looking at the protocols Kozuka wins the LP by 10 pts. Hmmm, I'd give him PCS, but not TES. He won the TES by 3 pts. over Mroz. Yes, Brandon definitely needs to work on his presentation, et al, but his technical is pretty darn good.

Part of the technical mark are spins as well as footwork. Kozuka beats NMroz in that chapter handily. Yu guys are keeping track only for the jumps. like in 6.0

doubleflutz

On the Ice

Looking at the protocols, it looks like those 3 TES points was mostly in spins and steps, plus one more jump in the bonus period, not really the jumps per se. I have no problem with that, was Kozuka is better at both of those kinds of elements than Mroz by quite a bit.

herios

Medalist
Looking at the protocols, it looks like those 3 TES points was mostly in spins and steps, plus one more jump in the bonus period, not really the jumps per se. I have no problem with that, was Kozuka is better at both of those kinds of elements than Mroz by quite a bit.

Exactly. We are under COP for quite some time, I hate when people count the jumps and put them in that order, like nothing else matters. Mroz was a clear second overall, as he outjumped the rest of the pack, but he needs to work on so many things now, once he is solid in the jumping area to become a very good skater.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Please USA bring back EVAN LYSACEK, whom knows how to win, how to get every single point out of the COP to a fault.

He would study it until he knew it by heart, every little double jump added, every little miniscule spin, every step, every sequence, jumps at the end of the program for bonus points, et al. Add to that he has the mental toughness & consistency of the very best!

Evan, come back, the USA needs you, please! :) Seriously, if the USA wants to win they need Evan Lysacek, the 2010 Olympic Mens Champion in Figure Skating.

Very strange Men's comp. Nobody was perfect and no one except Werner was able to 'sell it'.
Machida is sooo overscored.

Miner had two problems: His music was awful (and I like the tune). He tires in the last minute of his program. Both of these faults as I see it can be remedied for future comps.

Joubert had those little problems which distract from his overall style. A 9 point program is looking for a win in Paris. It will be interesting to find the magic number for getting into the Finals.

Mroz is coming along. It's a matter of him staying on the Tech side. He is not the best of performers. He could make the Finals, though.

Werner. It's been a while. He might even beat his countryman with that kind of skate at Czech Nats. He should make the Finals but one never knows for certain about Werner.

Kozuka - I'm not fond of his style. He doesn't draw me into his routines. It is too neat and tidy and all one can do is nod, yes, yes he skates tricks by definition but where is his sell?

The music sound on my computer is terrible. Maybe when I watch it on Unisport, it will sound better. Btw, the music in any arena is horrible. The arena is not built for dance. It's built for basketball and hockey.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Exactly. We are under COP for quite some time, I hate when people count the jumps and put them in that order, like nothing else matters. Mroz was a clear second overall, as he outjumped the rest of the pack, but he needs to work on so many things now, once he is solid in the jumping area to become a very good skater.

I dunno - Mroz' GOES are EXTREMELY low in general. I'd have to rewatch his program (I was just startled he was clean) to see why that was so.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Taka, Brandon and Tomas.

Favorite programs for me today were, Taka, Tomas, Samuel and Ross.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Don't think I had a favorite program and won't watch any of this again. Tomas was OK, he had the most style.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Brian got all level ones for all of his spins! What in the world happened? I'll have to check. Happy for the medalists, but I didn't love any of them, not even Kozuka who I usually really enjoy.