Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Men - LP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Exactly. We are under COP for quite some time, I hate when people count the jumps and put them in that order, like nothing else matters. Mroz was a clear second overall, as he outjumped the rest of the pack, but he needs to work on so many things now, once he is solid in the jumping area to become a very good skater.
    I dunno - Mroz' GOES are EXTREMELY low in general. I'd have to rewatch his program (I was just startled he was clean) to see why that was so.

Congrats to Taka, Brandon and Tomas.

Favorite programs for me today were, Taka, Tomas, Samuel and Ross.

Don't think I had a favorite program and won't watch any of this again. Tomas was OK, he had the most style.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Don't think I had a favorite program and won't watch any of this again. Tomas was OK, he had the most style.
    Agreed.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Brian got all level ones for all of his spins! What in the world happened? I'll have to check. Happy for the medalists, but I didn't love any of them, not even Kozuka who I usually really enjoy.

Custom Title
    I am very suprised that Verner and his new coach agreed all his problems came from doing quads and it was better for him to stop doing them.

Medalist
    Congrats to Takahiko. I really enjoy his skating - I only wish he didn't keep choosing such dull music... Happy to see Tomas skate pretty solidly, pretty entertaining program as well. And good for Brandon, nice to see him get his first medal on the GP even though he's not one of my favorites yet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I am very suprised that Verner and his new coach agreed all his problems came from doing quads and it was better for him to stop doing them.
    We don't know that. I tend to think we'll see his quad come back in the near future, but it seems like he and his coach are focusing on doing clean performances, and obviously it's working, I haven't seen Tomas skate a FS like that in a long time. It seems like the plan is to be clean and conservative to get the support of the judges behind him again, and then once he has that down he'll bring back the quad and the extra kick of personality. I think the last few seasons showed him the quad wasn't getting him anywhere. Now he sees he can still score well and medal without the quad, so once he regains his confidence and reputation and brings the quad back, he will be the total package . I'm proud of him for making the change.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    We don't know that. I tend to think we'll see his quad come back in the near future, but it seems like he and his coach are focusing on doing clean performances, and obviously it's working, I haven't seen Tomas skate a FS like that in a long time. It seems like the plan is to be clean and conservative to get the support of the judges behind him again, and then once he has that down he'll bring back the quad and the extra kick of personality. I think the last few seasons showed him the quad wasn't getting him anywhere. Now he sees he can still score well and medal without the quad, so once he regains his confidence and reputation and brings the quad back, he will be the total package . I'm proud of him for making the change.
    I am happy that he is staying upright. He is an elegant skater and fun to watch when he holds it together.
    Maybe this will be a comeback season for Tomas .....and Alissa.

Rinkside
    Brian's quad was marked as underrotated? :0 But wow those scores are pretty low...
    Last edited by anony; 11-06-2010 at 12:20 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I really liked only Machilda and Verner -although Verner music cuts are too many and the program doesnt feel a program, the minutes seemed endless. But he sold it and so good to see him back, when he is relatively clean he is very nice to watch! Liked the outfit also!
    Miner has something from old school skating, I dont know if I like it but he looks different.
    Contesti-I hate this program and costume and he has awful posture, memories from Euros emerged!
    Joubert, I liked the program at masters more than now, I didnt get this low score though, seems too low.
    Mroz put me to sleep, sorry. I saw him last year and got no impressed, he doesnt have any color and doesnt sell himself, kudos for the quad though and all his jumps, but he is boringgg.Better than the sp though.
    Kozuka, can he please stop skating to this kind of music and getting dressed like 100 years more than his age??? I liked the last season programs more, these year they do him no favor! Except for all that, he is such a poem to watch, and he won !!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Great point! Tomas is the only skater that truly has "IT" and can "SELL" it in COC's men's competition. The coach change is definitely the right move for him. I'm so glad that he can finally take a step back and try to regroup himself to rebuild his skating foundation and confidence, one step at a time.

He got two programs that fit his personality perfectly this season, he pleased the Chinese crowd (which in my opion is probably one of the hardest crowd to be pleased in the world), and he already found his unique STYLE on ice. It's a solid start. I'm sure as the season goes by, when he's getting more stable and polished on the technical side and gaining the appreciation back from the judges, he'll add the gorgeous quads back and soar again.

He's such an underachiever for years, hopefully this is the breakout season for him and he can finally skate to his potential at the European Championships and World Championships.
    Last edited by ae9177; 11-06-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Agreed. But....to be honest, though I really like Tomas, I preferred Florent's LP to Tomas', even with the excessive posing.

Custom Title
    I hope Verner does bring his quad back and he didn't Lysacek it. Maybe in order to get the triples back he had to stop doing the quad for a while. Maybe his few was top down and why he could do quads but pop triples. He has to go bottom up and build to quads. I hope that is it because his quads were really good-not tortured things. So I hope they were not Lysaceked.

Custom Title

How I saw it from the audience

From the warmups, looks pretty obvious that the mens competition is going to be a lot more interesting than the ladies...first group up...

Chen—wonky jump technique, if it’s not too late to fix this, he might have hope, but I suspect he’s on his way out with the likes of Nan Song and Han Yan arriving on the scene. He seems OK with just having the chance to get out there and go for it, bless his heart.

Wu—Hot cold hot cold. Tonight cold again. Not only that, but a stupid trip and fall on footwork, and a fall on a sitspin. At least if you’re going to fall, do it while attempting something heroic like a 4T or a 3A-3T. OK he listens to me and falls on a 3F. I do not know what is going on with this skater anymore, I presume the Chinese federation is close to wit’s end as well. I’m sad he seems to be stuck in a huge rut, but there’s just not much improvement athletically or artistically. And I don’t like this music for him.

Liebers—Tickles my fancy for quirky non-generic skaters. I like the somewhat “off center”-sounding Sherlock Holmes soundtrack and figure he’s the guy to sell it. He puts out a mixed bag of decently done jumps and bobbled jumps. Wish his footwork was faster and more connected to music. His skating needs a lot of work on all elements, but he potentially brings something different to the field. I hope he keeps improving and gets more chances at international exposure (outside Europe). He has a lot of potential “audience appeal.”

Contesti—Like the music. He’s handling the jumps but there’s a sloppiness about his skating that I’d be happier if he cured. I’m baffled as to how the judges will score this, especially PCS. Wow—score comes out higher than I expected. Won’t be able to figure this out until the protocols come out. But rightfully out in front so far, and by a sizeable margin. Usually he seems to pick programs where he can play to the crowd, but this one comes across as a bit more introverted. Maybe will evolve by his next GP assignment. Still think he looks too thin.

Guan—My favorite of China’s current Senior veterans. Mostly because he is unusual—having a natural musicality that is lacking in most Chinese skaters. Goes for 4T and crap—he’s down. Comes back and manages to put together a pretty good program. Slowing down towards the end—tired? All in all, very enjoyable to watch this skater. I think he will be placed behind Contesti—if only he had landed that 4T.... Yes, behind Contesti but by a larger margin than I thought fair. I’m not buying this.

Machida—Tiny fellow. Rotates faster than an electric fan in the air. Good jumps. Another skater to try the 4T and another to fall. Boo. He was so close. Slow and boring footwork. Another fall on a 3A. But a lot of promise. He needs to work a lot on PCS elements if he wants to push one of the current top 3 Japanese men out of the way. In my amateur eyes, this skate was better than Contesti’s, but the panel doesn’t feel that way. But it’s enough to put him out front overall for now. I want to see more of this guy.

Miner—Would be nice if he changed his shirt to a color besides white—so he’d stand out against the ice. Really nice sense of music and artistry—could we have a mini-Abbott in the making? Starts out competently but the second half of this program looked like it was heading into the weeds jump-wise with some UR's. Thought his footwork was well choreographed and performed. He’s not going to move up with this though he might hold his position. Entertaining in a pleasant way rather than in-your-face.

Voronov—4T way underrotated and fall. Stops skating and looks hurt, maybe pulled something in that fall? Goes over to the referee, must be a withdrawal. Confirmed by the announcer. Bummer--not something you want to see. He's limping off. Hope it is not too serious and will not affect his training or other competitions too much. The announcement does serve to quiet down an rather large and unruly contingent of pubescent expat Russian girls and moms, sitting not too far from me.

Mroz—I will myself to stay awake, and he obliges by landing a nice 4T, first successful one of the evening, I think. He proceeds to reel off jump after jump, all well done as far as I can tell. His footwork is meh. I’ve never thought of him as a great spinner and the butt-in-air spin position really really needs to be deleted from his repertoire (and everyone else's). This music isn’t bad but demands faster skating and footwork to really make it an effective program. Brandon isn’t up to the task right now. Big music needs big skating. But overall, a very good performance for him—I just wish he could get a little more extroverted and “sell it” to the audience.

Verner—Not sure what’s gotten into him this year. He looks relaxed, he looks in good shape and good humor. Whee! Within the first 5 seconds of Michael Jackson medley, he had the crowd on his side and we were into a positive-feedback loop in the arena. He leaves out the 4T—maybe a good strategy for tonight, we will see. He starts out strong, then loses his way a bit beginning with the botched 3A, but ends up strong. I thought the cuts in the music were a bit jarring, and the program has a distinct air of exhibition about it. But Tomas never stopped selling selling selling it to panel and audience. Look, anybody that can even get the Chinese police (sitting around the arena in security positions) grinning and clapping to the beat...has got to have something special going for him! The crowd is not amused when he ends up placed behind Mrozzzzzzz.

Joubert—Good music and program for him. Puts the 4T out there, maybe UR? Not clean with some jumps issues here and there. Maybe another UR or two? No other 4T attempts. He really has the best ice command of all the men so far tonight. Mr. Presence+ I expect high PCS. Hmm...score comes out and it is not as high as expected, his TES is quite low for him, so there must be a bunch of issues that the protocol will identify. He’s at risk of ending up off the podium.

Kozuka—Wow. Just a super program. Hand down on the 4T, looks like everything else was very fine. This will definitely get a medal...maybe gold? YES! First place in free, first place overall. He is thrilled. The crowd is OK with the result, even though Verner was the sentimental favorite and the Chinese crowd usually prefers for a non-Japanese to win, it was clear Kozuka earned the gold in this competition.

Kozuka, Mrozzz, Verner. Not the podium most were expecting, but can't take away that those three got the job done better than anyone else--though I'm still scratching my head over Joubert. Will check protocols when home.

Good men’s competition. I think we’re seeing a pattern starting to emerge this season, with the quality of competition between the men at a higher standard, and more exciting, than the other disciplines.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast