Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pairs - LP

Medalist
    Would someone explain how S/H got such high technical scores with two falls? Since the quad was two-footed, can it be worth so much as to make up for two falls? This looks totally ridiculous.
    Not sure I like the pair, well Sui specifically, her style is too juniorish and messy. Maybe she'll get better in the future...
    Last edited by smia; 11-06-2010 at 08:51 AM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    ^ I dunno, but one thing's for sure, China is getting a free pass from the wrath that Canada suffered just last week, though I'm not quite sure why that is.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Pang & Tong's program was much better here than at NHK Trophy!

better?

Custom Title
    Results:
    1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG (CHN) 177.50
    2 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) 171.47
    3 Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN (USA) 166.72
    4 Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Nodari MAISURADZE (RUS) 162.09
    5 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG (USA) 151.66
    6 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Yannick KOCON (ITA) 145.21
    7 Huibo DONG / Yiming WU (CHN) 123.93
    8 Kaleigh HOLE / Adam JOHNSON (CAN) 115.15

Tripping on the Podium
    they have 4S and 3F throw, hard spins and lifts with great execution.

Custom Title
    I don't really get why I/M were treated like garbage here. Maybe because of Sui/Han?
    Last edited by gmyers; 11-06-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I don't really get why I/K were treated like garbage here. Maybe because of Sui/Han?
    Who's I/K ?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by smia View Post
    Would someone explain how S/H got such high technical scores with two falls? Since the quad was two-footed, can it be worth so much as to make up for two falls? This looks totally ridiculous.
    Not sure I like the pair, well Sui specifically, her style is too juniorish and messy. Maybe she'll get better in the future...
    Protocol is out. And the answer is...stacking difficult elements after half way point. S/H and P/T both have 5 Jump/Lift elements after half way point while the I/M and Y/C has three. Also they have higher level lifts / Twist Lift / Death Spiral as well as the only team to do a throw quad 4S and 3F.

The PCS on the other hand is definitely too high since they fell on 2 jumps....massively distracting and threw their timing off for the remainder of the performance. The program also don't fit them nearly as well as the SP did. I would have them in 3rd place behind Y/C.

P/T's performance is beautiful but geez what happened to the SBS jumps? O_o
    Last edited by UnChosen; 11-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by smia View Post
    I think this is a very exciting team. Very expressive and they take a lot of risks!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by beep_beep View Post
    Who's I/K ?
    oops I meant I/M!

Custom Title
    I feel that Iliushechkina & Maisuradze should have been 2nd, but that's without seeing the protocols. Her jumps are usually questionable in terms of rotation.

I'm already annoyed by the scoring of Sui & Han. I realize we are in the China, and better results for the Chinese skaters will mean more people will pay to come watch, but scores need to be fair... They had two falls, a 2 footed throw (which isn't okay just because it's hard) and still don't skate like Seniors... I'm not talking about their baby, youthful looks.. It's just the frenetic, unpolished way in which they skate. Granted, they show very good expression and character for a team so young, but they skate like Jrs. I would have had the Russians ahead of them, absolutely.

Edited to add- I do hope Iliushechkina & Maisuradze work on selling their program better. It's such big music and there's just something a little dull in their presentation of it. In the future, more connection to the music and with each other would help.
    Last edited by gold12345; 11-06-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybfc View Post
    better?
    Yes, I thought so. Maybe not on the technical level, but I think their performance was much better here.

Medalist
    Thanks UnChosen.

I hate to say it but pair skating has gone down the toilet in the last few years. What I used to enjoy about pairs was the grace, elegance, and speed. There's not much of that nowadays. Now you can get monstrous scores without worrying about fixing your bad spins, sloppy positions, or messing up on lifts. You can even get generous scores by zamboni-ing the ice twice. I could forgive one fall if the rest of the package were very polished and mature, but not two falls with such unpolished style.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    oops I meant I/M!
    Hahaha now, I get it. And I think I agree with you.

With S/H, the future os Chinese pairs is boding well, but they have *a lot* of things to improve on, like their presentation and flow across the ice IMHO. They have hard tricks (don't they have a 4Tw?), for sure, but they don't make the program.
    They have time on their side to work on these things though, look at the other chinese pairs, they were all late bloomers on the artistic part.

And I do think that I/M should have been higher.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    ^ I dunno, but one thing's for sure, China is getting a free pass from the wrath that Canada suffered just last week, though I'm not quite sure why that is.
    It is still early.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast