Pairs - LP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs - LP

cornell08

Final Flight
While I agree that S/H are not polished and need improvement on their edges, I think they bring an excitement thats been missing in pairs for a while. They push the envelope technically and I love how for once a grand prix pairs event thread has alot of people commenting! Usually pairs doesn't get much attention, but I think S/H are just what we need to give pairs the oomph thats been missing for a while.

I really loved Y/C's program though. I found it the most refined with the most pleasing choreography. Caitlin's catchfoot on her lifts are a little late and not held long enough though, and John's posture has improved though it still pales in comparison to Caitlin's beautiful lines.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmm, still nada over China pairs overscoring. :think: I guess the fact that Y/C and I/M are not ranked 6th in the World a la Rippon or 7th at the Olympics a la Oda must have something to do with it? Maybe because the Americans and Russians are not perceived to be anywhere within the same league as the Chinese pairs, so in that sense it's okay that the Chinese were overscored despite several technical mistakes over both programs?

burntBREAD

Medalist
Hmmm, still nada over China pairs overscoring. :think: I guess the fact that Y/C and I/M are not ranked 6th in the World a la Rippon or 7th at the Olympics a la Oda must have something to do with it? Maybe because the Americans and Russians are not perceived to be anywhere within the same league as the Chinese pairs, so in that sense it's okay that the Chinese were overscored despite several technical mistakes over both programs?

Well, P/T were held up by PCS, but S/H stacked a bunch of code-whoring, high-scoring elements in the bonus section :p

oleada

Record Breaker
I think S/H were definitely overmarked - they do have some good elements, but not all (twist was crashy, 2A was weak) and their presentation is good, even if juniorish. What really bothers me, though, is the sloppiness and their weak skating skills. Their programs are busy to hide the fact that they're so weak. I wish the judges differentiated the PCS more so it would be possible to give them a low SS score but a high transitions score, for example.

I think that if they can fare puberty unscathed, they will do well, but since she's so tiny and he's short, I'm not so sure they will.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
CBC only showed the two top Chinese pairs, and I didn't get to see anything else on youtube (yet). I was pretty underwhelmed by both Pang and Tong and Sui and Han. Actually, I've been underwhelmed by all the GP Pairs competitions this season. Someone's going to have to step up and deliver a good performance. I wish Pang and Tong could get back to where they were last year, it has to be devastating to be the Olympic silver medalists and be skating like that.

zhuzhu

Spectator
I don't think S/H is overmarked. Their difficulty is higher than others and they have brought fresh choregraphy, though they do benefit from skating home.
I think S/H were definitely overmarked - they do have some good elements, but not all (twist was crashy, 2A was weak) and their presentation is good, even if juniorish. What really bothers me, though, is the sloppiness and their weak skating skills. Their programs are busy to hide the fact that they're so weak. I wish the judges differentiated the PCS more so it would be possible to give them a low SS score but a high transitions score, for example.

I think that if they can fare puberty unscathed, they will do well, but since she's so tiny and he's short, I'm not so sure they will.

UnChosen

On the Ice
I don't think S/H is overmarked. Their difficulty is higher than others and they have brought fresh choregraphy, though they do benefit from skating home.

I don't think they're overmarked either. I do think that the rules shifted a bit too much the other way. This season's rule favour hard elements and hard choreographies instead of playing it safe. I like the direction that the rules are going...its better than last season's Lepisto scenario as well as the "passing off boredom as elegance" choreography from others. I think eventually the consistency would adjust and we would have more clean performance that is also technically superior.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Lepisto did a triple triple in both SP and LP. Her PCS are superior to a lot of other girls', including Miki Ando, former World Mistake.
If anything, this year shows Lepisto will do well if she just rotates 4 triples.

I thought Y/C should have been 2nd.