Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Free Dance Preview and Virtual Program Nov.6 2:00 am

Custom Title
    I'm pretty sure it was at 4CCs in 2007.

Custom Title
    Pechelat/Bourzat: They were clean. They were too frighteningly close to D/W’s scores at NHK for my taste. You know, for such a unique team (the range of styles they attempt, the metaphors they try to invoke) how they remain so boring for me personally I don’t understand. I didn’t feel Chaplin from this at all. Uninteresting lifts. I will just have to admit that I don’t get this team at all.

Bobrova/Soloviev: On the other hand, there first lift was just exquisite. I’m in love with their line. I’m willing to be convinced, but I do hope this program grows by the end of the season. Also, lets hear it for Russian costume design that’s gorgeous, detailed and subtle.

Faiella/Scali: Ice dancing men tend to be very attractive, and Scali might be the most gorgeous of them all. If he skated with Cappellini the overload of beauty might be too much. She’s so one note, but this vehicle works for one note. Reusing lifts is not attractive. Some lovely linking moves (the one right before the spin was my favourite). Once they fix the dress problems, the second lift will be awesome. But this isn’t my favourite program of theirs. I happen to think that their program last season was a masterpiece and I really enjoyed their “Moonlight Sonata” as mimes/clowns. I wanna withhold judgement until I see it clean though (one question: I’ve always wondered how effectively coaches work with skaters when both sides are functioning in second languages.).

Hoffman/Zavozin: The tonal shift really wrecks this program. I liked it when it was trash-goth-horror. They tried though, but they’re gonna see themselves tumble out of the top ten this season without major improvements.

Hubbells: You know, I genuinely thought that this team would benefit from being the top American team not in the Zueva/Shpilband estate. Guess not.

Ralph/Hill: When Paul/Islam pass you at Nationals, you’ll have only yourself to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Faiella/Scali: Ice dancing men tend to be very attractive, and Scali might be the most gorgeous of them all.
    i'm sorry for Federica Faiella, but when Scali steps on the ice i completely forget there's also a lady with him

Custom Title
    Pechelat/Bourzat: They were clean. They were too frighteningly close to D/W’s scores at NHK for my taste. You know, for such a unique team (the range of styles they attempt, the metaphors they try to invoke) how they remain so boring for me personally I don’t understand. I didn’t feel Chaplin from this at all. Uninteresting lifts. I will just have to admit that I don’t get this team at all.
    I couldn't disagree more. I loved, loved, loved this dance. It's the only dance that I've cared enough to rewatch multiple times. They had a clear theme that they carried from the moment they stepped onto the ice, had great connection with each other and the audience, and their dance was intricate and had tons of little details that fit right into the theme of the skate. As for the lifts, I loved the one where he does kind of a twist thing. Everything flowed beautifully. The twizzles could've been done a little better (but that's nitpicking), but the dance spin was the only weak element, IMO. Going to Finlandia/Nebelhorn was a really good strategy.

As for it being close to D/W's score - it should be! D/W had an intricate program, but it came off as really busy, with messy lines and I don't think the tango suits Meryl at all. It seemed to highlight her weaknesses: poor leg line and piking forward at the waist. To me, their dance was one level 4 element after another without any real feel for the music and lacking the romantic chemistry a tango requires. I don't doubt that they will perform the dance better as the season goes on, but the NHK performance was a bit rough still.

Goes to show you how subjective ice dance can be.

Custom Title
    1. True. Indeed, I actually thought D/W scored a 96 at NHK, not 98. But keeping in mind that where D/W started last season was roughly where P/B FINISHED in terms of scoring, that they were within eight points (which I thought was six) rather frightened me. Yes, D/W need to grow with this skate, and yes - they weren't (@ NHK) what I hope they wll be.

2. You know, I see the attempt to carry through the theme. But I don't see it being successful. Pechalat in particular seemed to go blank at the oddest times and that doesn't seem in keeping with my knowledge of Chaplin films.

3. I haven't rewatched any dance yet. I'll wait until the next GP event.

4. Is it wierd that we haven't seen any dance team twice, but we've seen quite a few pairs twice (C/Y, I/M, P/T)?

Custom Title
    Pechalat is playing a blind girl...maybe that is the reason for the blank expression?
    I thought that was keeping in line with the theme, but maybe it wasn't obvious to others.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. I loved, loved, loved this dance. It's the only dance that I've cared enough to rewatch multiple times. They had a clear theme that they carried from the moment they stepped onto the ice, had great connection with each other and the audience, and their dance was intricate and had tons of little details that fit right into the theme of the skate. As for the lifts, I loved the one where he does kind of a twist thing. Everything flowed beautifully. The twizzles could've been done a little better (but that's nitpicking), but the dance spin was the only weak element, IMO. Going to Finlandia/Nebelhorn was a really good strategy.

Very true, oleada. Their strategy worked out well, it shows they are the hungriest of all. I always thought P/B were insufficiently trained for the big events. This time around they are focused and rightfully so, as they are running out of time to make the move for the podium and this is it for them. Now the kerr;s and F/S look unprepared and they are at their 4th event this season, therefore their program is already refined.
    As far as the theme, works very well for them and it is NOT a Chaplin comedy, indeed she portrays a blind girl.

LOVED P/B's Free Dance! So beautiful!

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GiuliaPlum View Post
    i'm sorry for Federica Faiella, but when Scali steps on the ice i completely forget there's also a lady with him
    Sigh, I know what you mean! Love both Fede and Massi! <3

CBC only showed Pechalat and Bourzat. I liked their program a lot. It's not as technically good as Davis and White's but I actually find it more interesting. I watched Faiella and Scali, Hoffman and Zavozin, and most of Bobrova and Soloviev's FD on youtube. I really enjoyed the first two, and Bobrova and Soloviev's was good too, it just wasn't as interesting somehow. I prefer their SD. It's too bad Faiella and Scali were having such problems at this competition though!

Custom Title
    1. True. Indeed, I actually thought D/W scored a 96 at NHK, not 98. But keeping in mind that where D/W started last season was roughly where P/B FINISHED in terms of scoring, that they were within eight points (which I thought was six) rather frightened me. Yes, D/W need to grow with this skate, and yes - they weren't (@ NHK) what I hope they wll be.

2. You know, I see the attempt to carry through the theme. But I don't see it being successful. Pechalat in particular seemed to go blank at the oddest times and that doesn't seem in keeping with my knowledge of Chaplin films.
    Have you seen "City Lights"?

This is what they try to portray

Custom Title
    Yes I have. I see that they try.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    As for it being close to D/W's score - it should be! D/W had an intricate program, but it came off as really busy, with messy lines and I don't think the tango suits Meryl at all. It seemed to highlight her weaknesses: poor leg line and piking forward at the waist. To me, their dance was one level 4 element after another without any real feel for the music and lacking the romantic chemistry a tango requires. I don't doubt that they will perform the dance better as the season goes on, but the NHK performance was a bit rough still.
    Meryl and Charlie would agree with you in some of what you say about their tango. If you check out the SA page on IN, there is an interview with them (sound only, so turn the sound up. The black page freaked me out, but that is what there is).

They did not have enough time to prepare it, and they didn't want it to be what they called "dumbed down". On viewing the tapes of it, they felt it needed to be arranged differently, as to the music, and that it was too packed with stuff, that the audience, as well as they, needed time to breathe. It will be interesting to see how they have changed the program at SA.

I think they, as well as I would disagree that the tango doesn't suit them. I would cite their 2007 OD tango in their first year in seniors:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moJvgUntpIc

Tango originated as a dance of Argentinian dance halls, not one about long legs and ballet positions.

Here's my favorite tango on ice (British Eurosport) Duchesnays 1988:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UJ0YHUQfk
    Another TV angle on it (Canadian coverage)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEz1xYVO-aw

D&W have a way to go with their FD this year. But its Charlie that I think is more challenged by tango, because he does not emote as well facially as he could, IMO.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-07-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Custom Title
    Here's my favorite tango on ice (British Eurosport) Duchesnays 1988:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UJ0YHUQfk
    Another TV angle on it (Canadian coverage)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEz1xYVO-aw

D&W have a way to go with their FD this year. But its Charlie that I think is more challenged by tango, because he does not emote as well facially as he could, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Saw the Duchesnay OSP tango in Calgary at the 1988 OWG and it was by far the most entertaining routine that day. But a lot of judges and coaches didn't like it. Audiences loved it and they even toured Champions on Ice using this tango.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I adore the Duschenay's tango..I don't believe Paul's intensity will ever be surpassed. Mind you, it was a bit of a parody ( at least ,I always took it that way ) but very cleverly observed.

Really looking forward to see how D/W's has progressed by SA. I think even without much change in facial expression ,Charlie needs to use his head more like Scott does.

Oops..have to go walk the dogs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast