Free Dance Preview and Virtual Program Nov.6 2:00 am | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Free Dance Preview and Virtual Program Nov.6 2:00 am

herios

Medalist
1. True. Indeed, I actually thought D/W scored a 96 at NHK, not 98. But keeping in mind that where D/W started last season was roughly where P/B FINISHED in terms of scoring, that they were within eight points (which I thought was six) rather frightened me. Yes, D/W need to grow with this skate, and yes - they weren't (@ NHK) what I hope they wll be.

2. You know, I see the attempt to carry through the theme. But I don't see it being successful. Pechalat in particular seemed to go blank at the oddest times and that doesn't seem in keeping with my knowledge of Chaplin films.

Have you seen "City Lights"?

This is what they try to portray

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
As for it being close to D/W's score - it should be! D/W had an intricate program, but it came off as really busy, with messy lines and I don't think the tango suits Meryl at all. It seemed to highlight her weaknesses: poor leg line and piking forward at the waist. To me, their dance was one level 4 element after another without any real feel for the music and lacking the romantic chemistry a tango requires. I don't doubt that they will perform the dance better as the season goes on, but the NHK performance was a bit rough still.

Meryl and Charlie would agree with you in some of what you say about their tango. If you check out the SA page on IN, there is an interview with them (sound only, so turn the sound up. The black page freaked me out, but that is what there is).

They did not have enough time to prepare it, and they didn't want it to be what they called "dumbed down". On viewing the tapes of it, they felt it needed to be arranged differently, as to the music, and that it was too packed with stuff, that the audience, as well as they, needed time to breathe. It will be interesting to see how they have changed the program at SA.

I think they, as well as I would disagree that the tango doesn't suit them. I would cite their 2007 OD tango in their first year in seniors:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moJvgUntpIc

Tango originated as a dance of Argentinian dance halls, not one about long legs and ballet positions.

Here's my favorite tango on ice (British Eurosport) Duchesnays 1988:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UJ0YHUQfk
Another TV angle on it (Canadian coverage)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEz1xYVO-aw

D&W have a way to go with their FD this year. But its Charlie that I think is more challenged by tango, because he does not emote as well facially as he could, IMO.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
Here's my favorite tango on ice (British Eurosport) Duchesnays 1988:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UJ0YHUQfk
Another TV angle on it (Canadian coverage)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEz1xYVO-aw

D&W have a way to go with their FD this year. But its Charlie that I think is more challenged by tango, because he does not emote as well facially as he could, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Saw the Duchesnay OSP tango in Calgary at the 1988 OWG and it was by far the most entertaining routine that day. But a lot of judges and coaches didn't like it. Audiences loved it and they even toured Champions on Ice using this tango.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: I adore the Duschenay's tango..I don't believe Paul's intensity will ever be surpassed. Mind you, it was a bit of a parody ( at least ,I always took it that way ) but very cleverly observed.

Really looking forward to see how D/W's has progressed by SA. I think even without much change in facial expression ,Charlie needs to use his head more like Scott does.

Oops..have to go walk the dogs.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Colleen, I agree with you about Charlie & his head. And he could take Paul Duchesnay as a great model, for sure.

But one of the things I really like about D&W is that each year they peck away at their weaknesses as well as working and selling their strengths. For example, their arms had been a bit uninteresting, and then they did that Bollywood OD that had some of the most amazing coordinated arm movements I have seen in ice dance.

There were complaints that they weren't doing enough skating in closed holds, and the tango FD has a lot more closed holds than say POTO. I, too, am waiting to see what changes they have made, but I wonder whether 3 weeks is enough time? OTOH, they changed Eleanor Rigby a lot between Skate America and TEB back in 2007/2008.

I can't wait to see.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)So much for walkies , now..where was I ? Doris, I too admire the way D/W address their weaknesses , year to year. In fact that's one of the things I most like about the whole Z/S school. I think they're really on the ball in that respect.

Of course, another model for Charlie ,for expression , would be Max Shabalin. He was their whole CD last year as far as I'm concerned. He was perfectly "Tango". When I think of their CD, any number of images of him spring to mind , while all that comes to mind for her, is that I didn't like the way her costume gaped at the back...And before anyone gets upset , I'm just talking about expression , here.

Knowing their work ethic, I expect to see something really wonderful from Meryl and Charlie before the season is over, but as you point out, SA may be too soon to see the dance at it's best.

I do like much about P/B's program..it's refreshing not to have to struggle with figuring out their concept. But he could be a bit more Chaplinesque.( In the costume dept..I like the cut of his in particular..very Chaplin. And their use of red commands attention. However , I hope they don't compensate by giving him a fake moustache ).
I have some serious doubts as to whether the program will be able to challenge a D/W program technically. :think: There are some nice highlights, but it hasn't wowed me yet.

I still have to see F/S..even though I know it was a horror story. I want to get a sense of the program. ( I had a disastrous computer freeze as they took the ice, and CBC, the rotters only showed P/B and a brief excerpt of R/H . Boooo!) ...Off to search.

Last edited: