Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When will Fumie retire already?

Banned

When will Fumie retire already?

Watching Fumie at Skate Canada was embarassing for a former 3 time World medalist. When is she going to retire already? She is only past the end of what was her very long and respectable prime by almost 5 years now. She is now going to be fighting for 9th or 10th place in grand prix events she is in (well not that she will be sent to any after this year probably anyway). And at her own Nationals she will probably be fighting for 9th or 10th place as well. The judges are even if anything harsh on her scores and I think they are trying to send the same message- just retire already please. Is pro skating really that bad. Is there not anything else she can do if she doesnt want that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Is pro skating really that bad. Is there not anything else she can do if she doesnt want that.
    I always thought figure skating was a perversion of the natural order. A golfer starts as an amateur, then turns professional when he is good enough. A photographer starts as an amateur, then turns professional when he is good enough. The same with football players, basketball players, bowlers, billiard players, tennis players, baseball players, almost every human endeavor.

In skating, a skater starts as an amateur, then turns professional …………… when he is no longer good enough to be an amateur. That is just so wrong.

Fumie reminds me of when I am gambling, playing black jack. When I am winning, I feel like I can win more so I stay.. then start losing.. and you are down like $200 all of a sudden, but you hate to leave losing so you end up stayig longer and lose more..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I always thought figure skating was a perversion of the natural order. A golfer starts as an amateur, then turns professional when he is good enough. A photographer starts as an amateur, then turns professional when he is good enough. The same with football players, basketball players, bowlers, billiard players, tennis players, baseball players, almost every human endeavor.

In skating, a skater starts as an amateur, then turns professional …………… when he is no longer good enough to be an amateur. That is just so wrong.
    This is so true! Figure skating is so messed up in some ways.

I don't care that Fumie came in 9th because she won a silver medal at worlds in 2006. The idea that skaters should stop when they reach their peak is why Lysacek will probably never skate again. He is named the best male figure skater in the world and one of the best ever at the 2010 Olympics and that is it. He will likely never ever compete again and didn't even go to worlds the NEXT MONTH because being Olympic champion means you can never skate again. That is too messed up. If Fumie wants to skate and compete and place ninth in a GP event than whatever. Her silver at one worlds should not indicate than that is when she peaked and should have retired. Boo. Just skate whenever you want. Look at football. Didn't see Eli Manning retire, or Tom Brady retire after they won superbowls. Once again skating is sooo messed up. Win a gold and never compete again.

Custom Title
    You are forgetting Evgeni "true winner" Plushenko. I agree Lysacek won't compete again, simply because he knows his historical contributions to the new CoP.

Oh, please, just let the girl skate!

Wasn't there a similar thread about Fumie a short time ago?

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Wasn't there a similar thread about Fumie a short time ago?
    Yes, there was.

Custom Title
    From an Icenetwork article dated 10/30 during Skate Canada:
    At age 29, Japan's Fumie Suguri soldiers on, despite slipping from second in the world in 2006 to seventh place at the Japanese Championships last season.

"I was not happy with how I skated at nationals, especially because I always want a good performance, not only results. I have been doing the sport for long years and that is not how I wanted to finish."

How long will she continue? "I don't know, as long as possible."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    This is so true! Figure skating is so messed up in some ways.

I don't care that Fumie came in 9th because she won a silver medal at worlds in 2006. The idea that skaters should stop when they reach their peak is why Lysacek will probably never skate again. He is named the best male figure skater in the world and one of the best ever at the 2010 Olympics and that is it. He will likely never ever compete again and didn't even go to worlds the NEXT MONTH because being Olympic champion means you can never skate again. That is too messed up. If Fumie wants to skate and compete and place ninth in a GP event than whatever. Her silver at one worlds should not indicate than that is when she peaked and should have retired. Boo. Just skate whenever you want. Look at football. Didn't see Eli Manning retire, or Tom Brady retire after they won superbowls. Once again skating is sooo messed up. Win a gold and never compete again.
    Umm for starters nobody has seriously said Lysacek is one of the best skaters ever. In fact many dont consider him the best in the World even after winning the Worlds and Olympics since Takahashi on a good day is so much better even if more inconsistent. And I think he is wise to turn pro. He is in his mid 20s, has had a long amateur career which includes many many years of international competition at both senior and junior level, and achieved all he could of. Now is the time to reap the rewards by starring in a major skating tour and gaining in weatlh. He is doing exactly what he should be doing.

Of course skaters can compete past their peaks but when it gets to this extreme it is just embarassing. A former 3 time World medalist who now is finishing at the bottom of grand prix events in weak fields and doesnt have a flying hope of even coming close to making a World team for her own country again. And her skating has become stale and dull in every sense of the word. Yet she is so desperate to keep going. It is sad really.

Now is the time (for Lysacek) to reap the rewards by starring in a major skating tour and gaining in weatlh. He is doing exactly what he should be doing.
    I read recently on a "sports business" site that Evan will make an estimated $US 300,000 for skating on SOI, plus another $300,000 for appearing on Dancing with the Stars. His total income from all sources was pegged by this analyst at $1,000,000.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I read recently on a "sports business" site that Evan will make an estimated $US 300,000 for skating on SOI, plus another $300,000 for appearing on Dancing with the Stars. His total income from all sources was pegged by this analyst at $1,000,000.
    Thanks for the figures. And he deserves it, he isnt one of my favorite skaters by any means but he worked his butt off for what he achieved and to be in position to be rewarded financially.

Suguri isnt a Lysacek-star but she certainly could have made a nice pro career for herself either in Asia or wherever she chose. If even Jennifer Robinson can.....

Custom Title
    Umm for starters nobody has seriously said Lysacek is one of the best skaters ever. In fact many dont consider him the best in the World even after winning the Worlds and Olympics since Takahashi on a good day is so much better even if more inconsistent. And I think he is wise to turn pro. He is in his mid 20s, has had a long amateur career which includes many many years of international competition at both senior and junior level, and achieved all he could of. Now is the time to reap the rewards by starring in a major skating tour and gaining in weatlh. He is doing exactly what he should be doing.

Of course skaters can compete past their peaks but when it gets to this extreme it is just embarassing. A former 3 time World medalist who now is finishing at the bottom of grand prix events in weak fields and doesnt have a flying hope of even coming close to making a World team for her own country again. And her skating has become stale and dull in every sense of the word. Yet she is so desperate to keep going. It is sad really.
    All the point was was that Lysacek hads the golds that the judges gave him which points to them thinking he is the best in the world and one of the best ever and how that should not be a STOP sign but a continue sign.
    Last edited by gmyers; 11-01-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Custom Title
    Whattttttttttttt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast