Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The ISU should consider reassigning Cup of China to another country: Discuss

Custom Title
    They should send it back to Europe. Or perhaps Korea- I do like that idea.

Grand Prix Antarctica, a judging scandal erupts when the local pairs team is held up despite her clear wrong edge on the entry to their death spiral.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:b.../birds_251.gif

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Except for one or two team medals (field hockey, I think), India has no Olympic gold medals at all. None. Zip. Nada. (It's possible they got one in 2008. I can't recall.) This is summer plus winter, mind you. Not a sports-minded country, I gather. I'm not sure that even Calcutta could field an audience for skating.
    It probably will if ISU adds a new discipline called ice cricket.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    [

Maybe if they add Polo?

Also, I had heard they are considering adding competitive ballroom dance? How about a Bollywood dance section under that

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Grand Prix Antarctica, a judging scandal erupts when the local pairs team is held up despite her clear wrong edge on the entry to their death spiral.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Here's an Idea: Change Cup of China into the Yellow Sea Cup. Alternating years in the two countries on each side of the Yellow Sea: China and South Korea. Samsung could still be the sponsor at both if it wanted to be.

Seriously, nothing gets the Chinese fired up with national pride like an attendance competition. Go figure. A huge part of the Shanghai Expo was focused on distributing free tickets and bussing groups in to "beat" the previous record at the Aishi, Japan Expo of several years ago. With much fanfare when this was achieved. I could foresee a Yellow Sea Cup held in Beijing, where the previous years had 10,000 people in Seoul, and exhortations to all fans to show up and make it 11,000 to beat those !@#$% Koreans.
    LOLS! Yet so true... the amount of rivalry between Korea, Japan, and China is mind-boggling- it's quite interesting listening to my mother rant about something the Japanese/Koreans did and motherland pride and shiz. XD

Custom Title
    GPF will be in Beijing again this year, I bet the ISU wouldn't take it kindly if the attendance is again below expectations.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Australia?

When we mentioned India, I thought of an interesting statistic I'd heard about India. Except for one or two team medals (field hockey, I think), India has no Olympic gold medals at all. None. Zip. Nada. (It's possible they got one in 2008. I can't recall.) This is summer plus winter, mind you. Not a sports-minded country, I gather. I'm not sure that even Calcutta could field an audience for skating.
    LOL, I was just kidding. I suggested India and Australia because those are places I would want to visit, whilst keeping the competition east of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    LOL, I was just kidding. I suggested India and Australia because those are places I would want to visit, whilst keeping the competition east of Europe.
    I really like Thai food so if enough others do too why not try Bangkok.

More seriousy, a place where a GP event could be held under a rotating schedule might be Scandanvia - with Finland, Sweden and Noway taking turns.

Yea, I know I forgot the Danes - but I find their pastry highly overrated and Victor Borgia was the worst conductor I ever played for

Custom Title
    Actually, janetfan has an intriguing idea. Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia actually host their nationals jointly (as one competition) with the highest scoring competitors from each country being cited as the individual national champion. A rotating or shared GP event could be a worthwhile thing to pursue. The Junior Grand Prix rotates.

Custom Title
    it is not the first time that a competition has few public.
    I suppose that if the isu supports there this test is because it´s economically profitable

PS: I prefer that the isu consider of reassigning the SC, I prefer a fair competition with few public, to a full stadium with a corrupt result.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by calica View Post
    it is not the first time that a competition has few public.
    I suppose that if the isu supports there this test is because it´s economically profitable

PS: I prefer that the isu consider of reassigning the SC, I prefer a fair competition with few public, to a full stadium with a corrupt result.
    You absolutely have a point there. For the last few years at least, SC has consistently been the GP with the most blatant and unwarranted home-cooking favoratism. However, that probably needs a thread of its own. I'm liking the China-Korea switchoff idea if the GP needs to stay in Asia, as there's really no other Asian options. I also like the Scandinavian rotation idea. Don't know enough about the Eastern European situation to comment, but I suspect sponsorship money might be an issue there. I can't think of any reason other than ISU tradition and stubbornness, why a well-selected, limited-rotation GP wouldn't work.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 11-07-2010 at 04:50 PM.

^ I do think money is the only real consideration. Last year Cinquanta threated to withhold ISU financial suooort for Skate America because the USFSA wsas not able to get a television contract for the event that brought in any money. (IIRC the USFSA couldn't do any better, and Cinquanta eventually relented.)

cup of Alaska! We're not part of the US anyway, so it wouldn't be like the nation gets two GP events

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    If they keep it in China maybe they can include one on ice marriage on every competition Shen Zhao show was packed!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    . Do it around the Mediterranean, practice on the ship, and have competitions at arenas at the different ports.
    Mykonos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman

LOL

If they are to give it back to Europe I think Italian crowd is the warmest I ve ever seen. And they have lots of shows there to keep the interest.

Realistically if they want two events by continent and they do it for money(what else?) Korea is a goldmine.
    Last edited by seniorita; 11-07-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast