The ISU should consider reassigning Cup of China to another country: Discuss | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The ISU should consider reassigning Cup of China to another country: Discuss

Lilith11

On the Ice
Here's an Idea: Change Cup of China into the Yellow Sea Cup. Alternating years in the two countries on each side of the Yellow Sea: China and South Korea. Samsung could still be the sponsor at both if it wanted to be. :laugh:

Seriously, nothing gets the Chinese fired up with national pride like an attendance competition. Go figure. A huge part of the Shanghai Expo was focused on distributing free tickets and bussing groups in to "beat" the previous record at the Aishi, Japan Expo of several years ago. With much fanfare when this was achieved. I could foresee a Yellow Sea Cup held in Beijing, where the previous years had 10,000 people in Seoul, and exhortations to all fans to show up and make it 11,000 to beat those !@#$% Koreans. :biggrin:

LOLS! Yet so true... the amount of rivalry between Korea, Japan, and China is mind-boggling- it's quite interesting listening to my mother rant about something the Japanese/Koreans did and motherland pride and shiz. XD

wallylutz

Medalist
GPF will be in Beijing again this year, I bet the ISU wouldn't take it kindly if the attendance is again below expectations.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Australia?

When we mentioned India, I thought of an interesting statistic I'd heard about India. Except for one or two team medals (field hockey, I think), India has no Olympic gold medals at all. None. Zip. Nada. (It's possible they got one in 2008. I can't recall.) This is summer plus winter, mind you. Not a sports-minded country, I gather. I'm not sure that even Calcutta could field an audience for skating.

LOL, I was just kidding. I suggested India and Australia because those are places I would want to visit, whilst keeping the competition east of Europe.

janetfan

Match Penalty
LOL, I was just kidding. I suggested India and Australia because those are places I would want to visit, whilst keeping the competition east of Europe.

I really like Thai food so if enough others do too why not try Bangkok. :unsure:

More seriousy, a place where a GP event could be held under a rotating schedule might be Scandanvia - with Finland, Sweden and Noway taking turns.

Yea, I know I forgot the Danes - but I find their pastry highly overrated and Victor Borgia was the worst conductor I ever played for :eek: :biggrin:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Actually, janetfan has an intriguing idea. Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia actually host their nationals jointly (as one competition) with the highest scoring competitors from each country being cited as the individual national champion. A rotating or shared GP event could be a worthwhile thing to pursue. The Junior Grand Prix rotates.

calica

Final Flight
it is not the first time that a competition has few public.
I suppose that if the isu supports there this test is because it´s economically profitable

PS: I prefer that the isu consider of reassigning the SC, I prefer a fair competition with few public, to a full stadium with a corrupt result.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
it is not the first time that a competition has few public.
I suppose that if the isu supports there this test is because it´s economically profitable

PS: I prefer that the isu consider of reassigning the SC, I prefer a fair competition with few public, to a full stadium with a corrupt result.

You absolutely have a point there. For the last few years at least, SC has consistently been the GP with the most blatant and unwarranted home-cooking favoratism. However, that probably needs a thread of its own. I'm liking the China-Korea switchoff idea if the GP needs to stay in Asia, as there's really no other Asian options. I also like the Scandinavian rotation idea. Don't know enough about the Eastern European situation to comment, but I suspect sponsorship money might be an issue there. I can't think of any reason other than ISU tradition and stubbornness, why a well-selected, limited-rotation GP wouldn't work.

Last edited:
^ I do think money is the only real consideration. Last year Cinquanta threated to withhold ISU financial suooort for Skate America because the USFSA wsas not able to get a television contract for the event that brought in any money. (IIRC the USFSA couldn't do any better, and Cinquanta eventually relented.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
cup of Alaska! We're not part of the US anyway, so it wouldn't be like the nation gets two GP events ;) :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
If they keep it in China maybe they can include one on ice marriage on every competition:biggrin: Shen Zhao show was packed!

. Do it around the Mediterranean, practice on the ship, and have competitions at arenas at the different ports.

Mykonos?:cool:
Mathman said:
Grand Prix Antarctica, a judging scandal erupts when the local pairs team is held up despite her clear wrong edge on the entry to their death spiral.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:b.../birds_251.gif

:laugh: LOL

If they are to give it back to Europe I think Italian crowd is the warmest I ve ever seen. And they have lots of shows there to keep the interest.

Realistically if they want two events by continent and they do it for money(what else?) Korea is a goldmine.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
cup of Alaska! We're not part of the US anyway, so it wouldn't be like the nation gets two GP events ;) :laugh:

How about Four Continents in Alaska? Might solve some of the travel problems for the East Asian vs. North American skaters. Not so good for Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, though.

And is it better to travel to there in November than February?

burntBREAD

Medalist
How did a Kim-less 4CC do in Korea, crowd wise?

Well, for the 2010 4CC, it was a rather small (from my perspective) arena, and it was pretty filled. However, for the 2008 4CC or the GPF other than the Senior Ladies' competition, it wasn't very filled. I remember Aunt Joyce talking about the 2009 Skate America competition and commenting on how he found it odd that many of the Yu Na fans, despite having tickets for all the different competitions, only attended the ladies competition and didn't go to the rest :think:

geoskate

On the Ice
I don't think the ISU will ever consider moving Cup of China. China is now the second largest economy in the world, with the money to easily stage a competition like this. Strategically for the long term the ISU absolutely wants to be here. The crowds will come with time (or at least that's probably what the ISU is thinking, and if so I think they're correct).

wallylutz

Medalist
I don't think the ISU will ever consider moving Cup of China. China is now the second largest economy in the world, with the money to easily stage a competition like this. Strategically for the long term the ISU absolutely wants to be here. The crowds will come with time (or at least that's probably what the ISU is thinking, and if so I think they're correct).

2010-11 Calendar

Worlds in Japan

GPF in China

World Juniors in Korea

4CC in Taiwan

World team trophy in Japan

It's pretty clear where the ISU is focusing on.