Can Brandon Mroz achieve big success under the CoP? | Golden Skate

Can Brandon Mroz achieve big success under the CoP?

Jasper

Final Flight
I love this kid. Just watched his amazing LP from China and he was in fine form throughout the entire program. He mentioned in an interview afterward that he was pleased with the result, achieving his first GP medal, but was not as pleased with the levels the judges gave him. You could tell when his scores came up that he wasn't as excited as his coach.

Mroz reminds me of the old 6.0 days in men's skating. He is an incredible jumper (a clean quad and two triple axels in one program is something to behold in 2010) with lovely posture and presentation. Obviously he's lacking certain weapons in his arsenal. His skating skills are nothing to compare to Chan and Kozuka, but he's still not bad in that regard. His transitions are not quite as intricate or complex as the very top guys, but it's not like he's just skating around in circles from element to element, either. What I love most is his musicality and his ability to interpret music and emotion through his arms. He presents a really clean package on the ice, and I think that deserves to be recognized by the judges. But will he always be held back because of what the CoP asks for? Do we see him improving transitions, ss, spins, footwork, etc. enough to be a contender for big medals and spots on the Worlds podium one day? I'd hate to see him losing to sloppy skaters just because they include more difficult material in their programs - that is one of the biggest flaws of the CoP.

Quality like Brandon's needs to be rewarded.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sure, if he or any skater wants it bad enough they can.

"where there's a will, there's way. :)

He's a Tech skater and so far avery good one. Mroz can win on that if more seasoned skaters have a bad night. He has the timing of the music and we await a signature style. Without it, he will need judges who demand sport more than schmalz.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
He has the timing of the music and we await a signature style. Without it, he will need judges who demand sport more than schmalz.

I thought he has already had a signature style.;)

Yes, Mroz can achieve big. He is strong and he has a quad. Don't know if he's tough mentally though?

The first time I saw him was at Junior Worlds 2007. I liked him the most of all the men there. IMO his programs were better artistically-wise (soft, soulfull) than today. Until he shows his big tricks on a consistent rate and develops a individual style, he will have difficulties to reach the top. I agree with Jasper that he has great musicality and a fine "ability to interpret music and emotion through his arms", but I think his programs (of the last years) didn't show that enough (were more technically-oriented). I hope that will change in the future.

doubleflutz

On the Ice
But will he always be held back because of what the CoP asks for? Do we see him improving transitions, ss, spins, footwork, etc. enough to be a contender for big medals and spots on the Worlds podium one day?

He won't improve those things while he's with Tom Z, or probably ever. That doesn't mean he won't be a World medal contender.

I'd hate to see him losing to sloppy skaters just because they include more difficult material in their programs - that is one of the biggest flaws of the CoP.

There's a difference between "sloppy" and "extremely difficult content, some of which is well-executed, some of which has mistakes".

Patrick Chan's FS at Skate Canada was sloppy. Daisuke Takahashi's FS at NHK was difficult but flawed. Sloppy skates being judged as if they are not sloppy is not a problem with CoP itself, it will always happen in any subjective sport, especially one as high-profile as figure skating. Difficult but flawed skates being rewarded based on what the skater did actually manage to accomplish on the ice, as opposed to getting high marks for a much easier but superficially "clean" skate, is not a flaw at all.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´d believe that his PCS will gradually rise after he has stood on the podium a few times more (reputation, you see, LOL). Who is his choreographer? Maybe he also needs to have choreographies that will give him the maximum of points both in TES and PCS? Where was Mroz in season 2009-2010? His absence from 2010 Worlds is not good careerwise, hence the low marks, I´d assume.

Hmm, if I were his mother, I would suggest to try to move to Frank Carroll as soon as possible....

After watching clips from the skating of Mroz in 2010 Cup of China I became a fan.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
He was there the previous worlds, last year he didnt make the team. I guess this year he will, it is Rippon, Abott and who else now apart from Mroz?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maybe Mahbanoozadeh

About Mroz- he can be faster - I always read that can increase SS score

When it comes to interpretation that depends on when the music feels like it came naturally to Mroz

Choreography is something that can be gained by just looking busy

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
He was there the previous worlds, last year he didnt make the team. I guess this year he will, it is Rippon, Abott and who else now apart from Mroz?

Yes, I know that Mroz was there in 2009 Worlds, finished higher than Abbott. I wonder why his coach had a suffering look as Mroz doubled a triple axel during the time the audience was waiting for the scores of the previous skater...? I´d think it is not wise to do many big jumps immediately before one´s freeskate.

Last edited:
Oh, those Skating Skills! I can't remember much discussion about them until Chan won his gold on skating skills alone.

It's difficult for me to omit the elements as non skillful. So, I presume it's all about the transitions between elements: speed, school figure turns, posture, etc., and being oh so careful not to go into Interpretation or else one's scores will repeat oneself.

When we say that one skater has excellent skating skills, are we saying he is the only one who has excellent skating skills? At the senior level there are many more skaters with excellent skating skills. and still more with more than adequate skating skills.

Mroz did fine, and hopefully he will continue to do so.