Mexico's Humberto Contreras Announces Retirement | Golden Skate

Mexico's Humberto Contreras Announces Retirement

ateffa94

Rinkside
http://www.skatetoday.com/2010/11/07/humberto-contreras-announces-retirement/

Guadalajara, Jalisco, November 8th, 2010

4-Time Mexican Senior National Champion Humberto Contreras Announces His Retirement from Competitive Figure Skating

Humberto Contreras, Mexico’s best figure skater of the last decade, world and international competitor, announced his retirement from competitive figure skating today. The President of the Mexican Figure Skating Federation, Ing. Jose Luis Aguilar Urzaiz, was officially informed prior to today’s announcement.

Contreras will now focus on giving back to new generations of skaters through coaching, where he will draw from his expertise gained through years of competing at the world level.

In his public announcement he said, “Today I’m officially announcing my retirement from competitive figure skating. I would like to take this moment to express my gratitude to the many people who have helped me throughout my skating career.

First, I would like to thank my family immensely for their unwavering support for so many years. Without them, none of my success would have been possible.

I would also like to thank my coach Elvis Stojko for all of his support and for everything he has taught me to help me become the best skater I can be.

I would like to thank my choreographer Roselle Soussana-Doyle for all of her time and dedication in creating my programs. Her work reminds me of why I love this sport.

Thank you to my former coaches Rocio Salas, Julie Graham-Eavzan, Nicole Laurin, Wendy Boyle, Alejandro Chavez, Alexei Mouratov, Elena Loboda, Natalia Sorokina, Alla Piatova and Darin Carlton. They were all essential to my development as a skater and as a human being.

Thank you to the Mexican Skating Federation, and to the Jalisco and D.F. Figure Skating Associations for all of their support over the years.

And finally, thank you to all of my friends and fans around the world for being there and supporting me for my whole career.

For me it’s a dream come true to retire at this moment because I always wanted to retire as Mexican National Champion; and what an amazing experience it was to finish my career competing at the World Figure Skating Championships in Torino, Italy in March of 2010!

Today a very important chapter in my life is coming to a close. I will remain in the skating world as a coach and mentor to new generations of skaters, and I will continue to skate professionally in skating shows around the world. I will miss the competitions and the excitement, but I’m ready to share my dream with future passionate and talented figure skaters.”

Humberto Contreras has skated for 14 years and has been on the national team for 12 consecutive years, representing Mexico in 17 international events and 2 World championships. He reached the status of “Elite Athlete” by competing at international events and achieving certain required results. These results are shown on the following web pages:

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00003458.htm (International Skating Union webpage displaying Contreras’s results)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humberto_Contreras

Contreras competed 7 times at the highly prestigious Four Continents Figure Skating Championships where he competed against the best skaters in the world. His best international result was achieved in 2005, when he finished in 18th place at Four Continents.

Additionally, he represented Mexico in 2 World Championships: first in Moscow, Russia in March of 2005, where he finished 21st, and later Torino, Italy in March of 2010.

Contreras is a 4-time Senior National Champion of Mexico, having won the title in 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2009.

He also won gold at 2 Junior Olympics in the years 2000 and 2001. He obtained 26 medals at the national level (12 gold, 13 silver and 1 Bronze between 1997 and 2010).

Translated to Spanish

Guadalajara, Jalisco, 8 de Noviembre de 2010

El 4 veces y actual campeón nacional de patinaje en México Humberto Contreras anuncia su retiro oficial del patinaje amateur.

Humberto Contreras el patinador mas destacado que ha tenido México en la ultima década representante Mundial e Internacional anuncio hoy su retiro de manera oficial del patinaje competitivo.

Su comunicado lo dirigió al Ing. José Luís Aguilar Urzaiz Presidente de la Federación de Patinaje Artístico Sobre Hielo y Deportes Invernales A.C.

A partir de ahora, se concentrara en otorgar a las nuevas generaciones de patinadores todas las experiencias que adquirió tanto en México como a nivel Internacional fungiendo como entrenador.

“Así es el día de hoy anuncio mi retiro del patinaje amateur de manera oficial no sin antes agradecerle de manera inmensa a mi familia por todo su apoyo durante todos estos años”.

“También quiero agradecer de manera infinita a mi entrenador Elvis Stojko por todo su apoyo y por todas sus enseñanzas las cuales me hicieron el mejor patinador que pudiera ser”.

También a mi coreógrafa Roselle Soussana-Doyle por todo su tiempo y dedicación a mis rutinas que de verdad me recordaron el porque amo este deporte.

“Muchisimas gracias a todos mis entrenadores anteriores Roció Salas, Julie Graham-Eavzan, Nicole Laurin, Wendy Boyle, Alejandro Chávez, Alexei Mouratov, Elena Loboda, Natalia Sorokina, Alla Piatova y Darin Carlton que también fueron parte súper importante de mi crecimiento como patinador y persona”.

“A la Federación de Patinaje de México muchas gracias por todo el apoyo durante todos estos años al igual que a la Asociación de patinaje de Jalisco y del D.F”.

“A todos mis amigos y a mis fans alrededor del mundo que siempre estuvieron apoyándome durante toda mi carrera”.

“Para mi es un sueño culminar de esta forma mi carrera ya que siempre me quise retirar como campeón nacional absoluto de mi país y que mejor que cerrar con broche de oro mi carrera compitiendo en el Mundial Senior en Turín, Italia en Marzo del 2010.

“Hoy cierro un ciclo muy grande e importante de mi vida y seguiré en el medio del patinaje ahora como entrenador y también participare de manera profesional en shows de patinaje”

Durante su trayectoria deportiva, estuvo 14 años practicando el “Patinaje Artístico sobre Hielo” y 12 años consecutivos como miembro de la “Selección Nacional”, representado a México en 17 competencias a nivel internacional y 2 campeonatos Mundiales, alcanzando ser “Deportista de Alto Rendimiento”, que fue acreditado por contar con resultados internacionales y cumplir con las marcas que lo identificaron en su momento, mismos que se pueden corroborar en las siguientes paginas de Internet:

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00003458.htm (Página Internacional con resultados de sus competencias).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humberto_Contreras

Así mismo, participo en 7 ocasiones en el prestigioso evento internacional "4 Continentes" donde compitió contra los mejores patinadores del mundo, alcanzando su mejor posición al obtener el lugar 18 en el año 2005.

También represento a México en dos “Campeonatos Mundiales” de patinaje artístico sobre hielo los cual se llevaron a cabo en Moscú, Rusia en marzo del 2005 ocupando la posición 21 a nivel internacional y en Turín, Italia en Marzo del 2010.

Fue 4 veces “Campeón Nacional Absoluto Nivel Avanzados 2” de México habiendo ganado el Titulo en los años 2002, 2003, 2005 y 2009.

También gano 2 Olimpiadas Juveniles en los años 2000 y 2001. Obtuvo 26 medallas a nivel nacional (12 de oro, 13 de plata y una de bronce desde el año de 1997 hasta 2010).

Last edited: