Short Dance Virtual Program and Preview: Sat. Nov 15, 6:45 PM ESt | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Short Dance Virtual Program and Preview: Sat. Nov 15, 6:45 PM ESt

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
4. Davis/White? Class of the field but posting a score lower than what P/B did at CoC worries me. With Virtue/Moir out, they were supposed to cruise to the World Championship. The GPF will be very interesting.

Their footwork section only received a level 2 along with the major error from Charlie on the twizzle. I wouldn't be worried. It's still very early in the season and they have a lot of time to clean up those mistakes.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Quick thoughts.

1. W/P vs C/P round one? Goes to C/P, split decision. W/P win on TES (win on the night, in fact), but C/P handily beat them out in PCS. In fact, the PCS between W/P and the fifth place Russians are extremely close. I'd love to take a look at the levels.

2. The Shibs are gonna be huge.

3. Riazanova/Tkachenko are interesting.

4. Davis/White? Class of the field but posting a score lower than what P/B did at CoC worries me. With Virtue/Moir out, they were supposed to cruise to the World Championship. The GPF will be very interesting.

Davis and White NHK's (66.97) SD beats P/B's score (64.12). They probably would have beat that score was it not for the error. I will take it as an uncharacteristic move and move on from there. Granted that's not a commanding lead, so I agree with your assessment that it won't necessary be a cruise to a World Championship.

Also, I wonder what the Shibs will get when they skate a clean SD. That stumble probably cost them 3 points or so.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I really loved the dance of W/P-best cohesive performance of the night, COP aside. I also liked R/T.

Meryl's dress & Vanessa's hair were big improvements!

D&W looked like they were concentrating almost entirely on the GW sections-to the detriment of the twizzles & the midline steps where they looked careful. They're going to have to get the balance between the 2 sections correct, that is the GW and the 'creative part'. At NHK, they nailed the 'creative part' and had problems with the GW. I'm curious to see whether all that carefulness got them the GW levels they wanted here at SA. It looked better to me, but the step guidelines are so specific, that I don't know, & unfortunately, we don't get to see until after the FD, unless it comes out in the interviews.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Their footwork section only received a level 2 along with the major error from Charlie on the twizzle. I wouldn't be worried. It's still very early in the season and they have a lot of time to clean up those mistakes.

Can you give me the site to protocols? I hate waiting... :laugh:

Scout

Final Flight
Quick thoughts.

They are closer to P/B than I thought they'd be -- 5.62 difference in their first GP event, but I'm not too worried yet. I'm not sure how much the twizzle mistake cost them. D/W scored 66.97 at NHK with a level 1 on a GW sequence, bringing that up to a level 3 would mean an extra 3.5 points. So in theory, they should be able to score close to 70 with their SD.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Thank you everyone for trying to make me feel better. I'm practically rooting against Pechelat/Bourzat being the vanguard of European dance while the youngsters catch-up but this season is coniving to demolish my hopes at every turn.

missysays

On the Ice
I was watching the Universal Sports coverage and was interested in a comment that Tracy Wilson made about how this SD really is a different beast than either CD or OD. They have to perform and capture a theme with freedom but also skate with the precision necessary to get the points in the CD.

Teams are having to balance the two demands and get as many points as possible in TES and PCS. This is probably why teams aren't scoring as many points as before.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can you give me the site to protocols? I hate waiting... :laugh:

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to protocols. I only know about the level 2 because Tracy Wilson mentioned it on the tv broadcast. We'll have to wait until after the FD is over for detailed protocols. :frown:

burntBREAD

Medalist
Unfortunately, I don't have a link to protocols. I only know about the level 2 because Tracy Wilson mentioned it on the tv broadcast. We'll have to wait until after the FD is over for detailed protocols. :frown:

Dang. Haha, well Ice Network sometimes lists levels/downgrades in their articles

cotillion

Rinkside
Weaver & Poje IMO were the best of the night, clearly a very well trained and thought out program and the music was devine!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I didn't get to watch this, but I just looked at the results. It's pretty close, especially between the two Canadian teams lol. It must be frustrating for W&P.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Thanks, SkateBuzz, for the feed! Just watched the entire event online. Highlights of the top 4:

Charlie and Meryl - Still in a class of their own, even with the twizzle issues.

Paul and Vanessa - On the positive side, her hair looks much better like this than Skate Canada. She still definitely needs a new dress. That dress is just hideous. Does not help her to look feminine at all. She should take some style and costume cues from the Russian team. A little surprised they are in second. I didn't think this was their best skate. Maybe because they skated right after Andrew and Kaitlyn, who just ooze elegance in their SD.

Andrew and Kaitlyn - After Charlie and Meryl, I think they were the best of the night. Really, really good performance, and think they should be a few points ahead of Paul and Vanessa.

Alex and Maia - They look so young next to Andrew and Kaitlyn! Not quite a clean skate, but really good quality overall. Definitely a team for the future.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
According to an article in the Oregonian, Meryl and Charlie got level 4 on the first GW sequence, level 3 on the other, so it looks like their work on that paid off. (And it looked much better to me, too) I presume they got dinged for the layback / twizzle turn in GW2-Meryl was not all that far back, something that most of the teams do. Now if they combine it with a performance of the 'creative' part of the SD the way they did in NHK, that will be a really nice SD. I like the way they bracket the GW part with an extra shoot the duck and layback so that it looks like a seamless piece of choreo. They only got level 2 on the steps (level 4 at NHK) and the twizzles were probably level 2 or 3 (level 4 at NHK). So I know they can fix those.

Yes, I'd have Andrew & Kaitlyn ahead of Vanessa & Paul this time. W/P looked so elegant on the ice, and tonight their tech was better, too. I presume C/P were faster, which is why they got higher PCS? In any case, it escapes me, but I'm not there live. C/P were not at the speed level of D/W, and didn't on TV look like that faster or that much deeper in the edges than W/P. Kudos to Vanessa for fixing her hair!-Alicia Keys doesn't work with the old maid 20th century schoolteacher look she had at SC.

And I really do like R/T's Sviridov Waltz. Very classy, and it will be interesting to see where they end up at Russian Nationals. It was nice choreo for an SD! Not to mention TEB, where the field is rather thin. It was really packed here, as much as any field is packed with so many injuries and retirements.

And the Shibs are so smooth, and in general their timing is so good. D/W will have to stay on their toes to stay ahead in the next couple of years.

And Lynn and Logan did really well too.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
And I really do like R/T's Sviridov Waltz. Very classy, and it will be interesting to see where they end up at Russian Nationals. It was nice choreo for an SD! Not to mention TEB, where the field is rather thin. It was really packed here, as much as any field is packed with so many injuries and retirements.

I second that. That is a very elegant dance and they were quite polished for the first time out. Definitely the best SD in execution of any russian team so far this season.

L'amour

On the Ice
W/P were the best on SD in my opinion. Very well trained and everything was tehre...the expression, elegance, espeed. Congratulations to this team.

D/W..I don't get them....I use to like them a lot till last year. Now I just can't understand them anymore.

C/P Thanks God Vanessa change her hair but she still needs anotehr dress. She needs something elegans, feminine and a bit dramatic 9and something that fits well her chest area..wjat's up with this dress Vanessa?). They need do improve a lot this SD, or maybe just the step sequence, add some character.

I think we are going to see a big diference between the 2 canadian teams on the FD. I think Vanessa and Paul have a stronger FD .

Ohh and I loved how Cathy and Cris used Adam's Family soundtrack :biggrin:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I liked all of the top four SD. My favorite SD was Kaitlyn and Andrew. Just loved it.
They were Fred and Ginger!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I do so wish that Chris Reed could learn to twizzle! I so want to see that Addams Family SD of theirs done without an error! From a choreo standpoint, it's one of my favorites of the season so far!

herios

Medalist
I'm practically rooting against Pechelat/Bourzat being the vanguard of European dance while the youngsters catch-up but this season is coniving to demolish my hopes at every turn.

:biggrin:

At least I know where you are coming from

My opinion is that Pechalat é Bourzat are better dancers that their results showed in the past. I think trhey were many times untrained and underachieved because they seem to make mistakes when it matters the most.
I think their edges are smooth and are also well matched, better than Del - Sch were, where Olievier was alot better than Isabelle in skills.
I am happy to see them sticking it out and trying to maximize their capabilities. The youngsters coming up in Russia are not soup yet, and Pech-Bou are no less skilled than the italians or the Kers, so yes, everything is possible, even a european title for them or a world medal.
And you lik then or not, they will be around for the next two seasons for sure, as they will stay through 2012 for sure to compete in Nice.