Short Dance Virtual Program and Preview: Sat. Nov 15, 6:45 PM ESt | Golden Skate

Short Dance Virtual Program and Preview: Sat. Nov 15, 6:45 PM ESt

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Skate America's dance competition should ultimately be won by Meryl Davis and Charlie White, but it will be interesting to see how close Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirer come to them for second place. The competition starts with the short dance. Meryl and Charlie come into this season the least prepared they have been since 2006/2007, when Charlie was injured for most of the month of August. "Not prepared" for Davis and White is still a lot better prepared than many other teams, but it does mean that they did not get their programs out for public comment prior to the Grand Prix, nor for private comment before Champs Camp.

At Champs Camp, they were advised not to use the "Amelie" soundtrack as the music for their Short Dance, so they came to NHK with a very new program to them, set to waltzes from "La Traviata and "La Boheme." Pechalat and Bourzat have also changed their short dance music from "Amelie" to a more traditional waltz from Dr. Zhivago. Music choices are one of the uncertainties in this new discipline, the short dance.

Additionally, the new rules for the short dance are just being understood, both by them, their coaches, and the rest of the skating world. At NHK, they were severely penalized by the technical committee in the second Golden Waltz segment, and given only a Level 1 there. Many other couples have also be so penalized at their first Short Dance outing, including Pechalat and Bourzat at Nebelhorn. There have apparently been some clarifications to the Short Dance requirements to attain the levels in the second Golden Waltz Segment, although there does not appear to be an official communication, as yet. This probably occurred as a result of the Ice Dance Judges' Seminar in October. Here's a link to the Q&A on the Golden Waltz and new Twizzle Rules:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-203579-220802-169393-0-file,00.pdf

In any case, I expect to see Davis and White to have made improvements to their Golden Waltz technique, based on both their scores at NHK, and this clarification. However, they may skate their Golden Waltz segments more deliberately in consequence. Levels may rise, but Grade of Execution may drop.

Crone and Poirier virtually tied with the Kerrs at Skate Canada in the short dance, with their program to "Fallin'"; however, their score was still four points lower than Davis and White's NHK score, despite their higher levels in the Golden Waltz. For me, some of the problems with Crone and Poirier's short dance is that "Fallin'" is in no way a Viennese Waltz and it has some of the same problems, musically, for the short dance that the "Amelie" soundtrack does. However, I do not expect them to have changed it, first because Skate America is only two weeks since Skate Canada, but second, Skate America features an exciting preview of what Canadian Nationals will look like. It includes a head to head matchup with Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje, who finished just behind Crone and Poirier last year at Canadian Nationals.

Weaver and Poje have a lovely and very mature adult short dance program set to "At Last" by Etta James, and "Cheek to Cheek" by Irving Berlin. The dance is in sharp contrast to Crone and Poirier's very youthful looking presentation. Weaver and Poje have had a week longer than Crone and Poirier to fix any short dance problems, and I hoping to see that it will be close and exciting for the second spot. Neither Canadian team can feel comfortable that they will be on the podium. There are two other very competitive teams here at Skate America.

Ekaterina Riazanova and Ilia Tkachenko finished in second place in the short dance at Nebelhorn, and third overall there. This ia a relatively new pairing. Both members of the team have competed at high international levels in juniors with other partners, Riazanova with Jonathan Guerreiro and Tkachenko with Maria Monko. This is their first outing since Nebelhorn. They are one of several couples vying for the wide open Russian Nationals championship this year.

Finally, Maia and Alex Shibutani will be competing here. Their strength has been the free dance this season, as they have had falls in both the short dances they competed this season. Their problem at NHK was due to Alex tripping over Maia's skirt. They have lovely basics, especially now that Maia is three inches taller than she was last year, so that they present a more senior appearnance on the ice. I hope that third time is the charm here, and that they will skate their short dance perfectly.

Anna Capellini and Luca Lanotte have chosen not to compete at Skate America, as they have changed coaches, and returned to Italy to redo their free dance, which has not been well received by the judges this year.

Another team that have a very entertaining short dance this year are Chris and Cathy Reed, who will be skating to selections from the "Addams Family" soundtrack. While they are not expected to medal, they are well worth your notice.

Other teams competing are Coomes and Buckland GBR,who appeared at NHK, Frohberg and Giesen GER, who appeared at SC, and Kriengkrairut and Giuletti-Schmitt USA, who will be making their sole Grand Prix appearance this season.

Lynn Kriengkrairut and Logan Giuletti-Schmitt USA (ISU World Ranking 82nd)
Coach: Yaroslava Netchaeva, Juri Tchesnitchenko
Choreographer: Yaroslava Netchaeva, Juri Tchesnitchenko
SD: Waltz: The Trouble With Love Is by Kelly Clarkson
8th at the most recent US Championships
6th at Nebelhorn
5th in the SD at Nebelhorn (52.71)
8th in the FD at Nebelhorn (74.23)

Straight Line Lift (Lev 4 at Nebelhorn)
Sequential Twizzles (Lev 4 at Nebelhorn)
Golden Waltz Segment 2 (Lev 2 at Nebelhorn)
Golden Waltz Segment 1 (Lev 4 at Nebelhorn)
Midline Step Not Touching (Lev 2 at Nebelhorn)
Transitional Lift
Base: 27.00

Stefanie Frohberg and Tim Giesen GER ( ISU World Ranking 41st)
Coach: Rene Lohse
Choreographer: Jutta Deutschland (SD); Denkova and Staviski (FD)
Their SD Waltz: Tanz der Hofdamen by Rumpelstil
7th at Finlandia in the FD, 65.59
Skate Canada SD 43.00
FD Skate Canada 62.10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odcgFhV22XI

Rotational Lift (Lev 4 at SC)
Sequential Twizzles (Lev 4 at SC)
Golden Waltz Segment 1 (Lev 4 at SC)
Golden Waltz Segment 2 (Lev 1 at SC)
Midline Step Not Touching (Lev 2 at SC)
Transitional Lift
Base: 24.50

Ekaterina Riazanova and Ilia Tkachencko RUS (ISU World Ranking 34th)
Coach: Alexei Gorshkov
Choreographer: Sergei Petukhov
SD: Waltz: The Snowstorm by Georgi Sviridov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cicoTXaF2I&feature=related
FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HemRDeaml4I&feature=related
Last year was their first as a team.
4th at the most recent Senior Russian Nationals
3rd at Nebelhorn this fall
2nd in the SD 58.31
Level 4 in GW Segment 1
Level 2 in GW Segment 2

Midline Step Not Touching (Lev 3 at Nebelhorn)
Golden Waltz Segment 1 (Lev 4 at Nebelhorn)
Golden Waltz Segment 2 (Lev 2 at Nebelhorn)
Sequential Twizzles (Lev 4 at Nebelhorn)
Rotational Lift (Lev 4 at Nebelhorn)
Base: 28.50

Penny Coomes and Nicholas Buckland GBR (ISU World Ranking: 28th)
Coach: Evgeni Platov, Philip Askew
Choreographer: Philip Askew
Their SD: Their program: Waltz: La Valse d'Amelie by Yann Tiersen; Tango: Tango de los Exilados by Vanessa Mae and Walter Taieb
Current British Senior Silver Medallists
16th at European Championships last year
This fall, third at Coupe de Nice, fourth at Nepela Trophy
NHK SD 43.52
NHK FD 66.28

Rotational Lift (Lev 4 at NHK)
Golden Waltz Segment 2 (Lev 1 at NHK)
Golden Waltz Segment 1 (Lev 2 at NHK)
Sequential Twizzles (Lev 4 at NHK) (Significant problems in the twizzles at NHK)
Midline Step Not Touching (Lev 2 at NHK)
Transitional Lift
Base: 22.50

Cathy Reed and Chris Reed JPN (ISU World Ranking: 27th)
Coach: Nikolai Morozov, Walter Rizzo
Choreographer: Nikolai Morozov, Patti Wilcox
Their SD: A Party For Me? (from Addams Family soundtrack) by Marc Shaiman; The Tango (from Addams Family soundtrack) by Marc Shaiman
For three years straight, National Senior champions in Japan
15th at last year's World Championships
SD NHK 44.90
FD NHK 69.62

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCtjTlUYsbw

Straight Line Lift (Lev 4 at NHK)
Golden Waltz Segment 1 (Lev 3 at NHK)
Sequential Twizzles (Lev 3 at NHK) (They had a significant problem in the twizzles)
Midline Step Not Touching (Lev 2 at NHK)
Transitional Lift
Base: 22.50

Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani USA (ISU World Ranking: 14th)
Coach: Igor Shpilband, Marina Zueva, J.Johns, A. Lenda
Choreographer: Igor Shpilband, Marina Zueva
Their SD: Waltz: The Carousel Waltz by Richard Rodgers
Current US Junior champions
4th at last year's Junior Worlds, 2nd at the previous Junior Worlds
5th at Nebelhorn this fall, due to a fall in the SD.(46.90) They were second in the FD at Nebelhorn, ahead of Capellini/Lanotte.
NHK SD 53.68, including a fall in GW segment 1
FD 83.25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvkeizcT_ps&feature=related

Sequential Twizzles (Lev 4 at NHK)
Midline Step Not Touching (Lev 3 at NHK)
Golden Waltz Segment 1 (Lev 3 at NHK) (but it included a fall when he stepped on her dress)
Golden Waltz Segment 2 (Lev 2 at NHK)
Curve Lift (Lev 4 at NHK)
Transitional Lift
Base: 27.50

Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje CAN (ISU World Ranking: 10th)
Coach: S. Bourne, P. Camerlengo, A. Krylova
Choreographer: Shae-Lynn Bourne, Pasquale Camerlengo
Their SD: Waltz: At Last by Etta James; Cheek to Cheek by Irving Berlin
1st place at 4CC's in 2010
3rd at Canadian Senior Nationals
NHK SD Score: 58.69
NHK FD 82.88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS6VbQtdFHM

Straight Line Lift (Lev 4 at NHK)
Golden Waltz Segment 2 (Lev 3 at NHK)
Midline Step Not Touching (Lev 3 at NHK)
Base: 28.50

Vanessa Crone & Paul Poirier CAN
(ISU World Ranking: 6th)
Coach: Carol Lane, Juris Razguliaevs, Jon Lane
Choreographer: Christopher Dean, Carol Lane, Juris Razguliaevs
SD Waltz: Fallin' by Alicia Keys, but not performed by Alicia Keys
SD from Skate Canada 62.95
FD from Skate Canada 91.47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EACGNJTCnmU

Rotational Lift (Lev 4 at SC)
Golden Waltz Segment 1 (Lev 4 at SC)
Golden Waltz Segment 2 (Lev 3 at SC
Midline Step Not Touching (Lev 3 at SC)
Transitional Lift
Sequential Twizzles (Lev 4 at SC)
Base: 29.50

Meryl Davis and Charlie White USA (ISU World Ranking: 1st)
Coach: Igor Shpilband, Marina Zueva
Choreographer: Igor Shpilband, Marina Zueva
Their SD: Waltz: La Boheme by G. Puccini; Waltz: La Traviata by G. Verdi
Two time US Champions, 2nd at Olympics, 2nd at Worlds, 1st at GPF.
NHK SD: 66.97
FD NHK 98.24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpJAdCpVzhA

Midline Step Not Touching (Lev 4 at NHK)
Rotational Lift (Lev 4 at NHK)
Transitional LIft
Base: 26.50

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007094.htm

The formal order of skate has not been posted. Here's what it should be:

8 Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT / Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT USA 6
3 Stefanie FROHBERG / Tim GIESEN GER 2
6 Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO RUS 5
4 Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND GBR 3
5 Cathy REED / Chris REED JPN 4
9 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 6
2 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 1
1 Vanessa CRONE / Paul POIRIER CAN 1
7 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE USA 6

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Thank you Doris for the fabulous review! The scores at Canadians last year for C/P and W/P were so close, maybe Skate Canada wants someone else to decide this time. :laugh:

Seriously, I think both C/P and W/P have both improved a lot. If W/P skate very cleanly, I think they can definitely beat C/P. They have more connection and a classical skating style. Especially in the SD. However, they are not always consistent, especially when nerves factor in. C/P on the other hand are mentally tough, and have a more athletic style. If they've ditched her hideous SD costume, and they skate cleanly, and keeping in mind their fabulous FD, I have to say they have the edge. Really looking forward to this weekend.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you Doris!! I can always count on you to keep me informed and in the loop.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Sooo looking forward to this. Every time I think of it I start humming " I'm so excited.."

I really liked W/P's SD at NHK , the music , the dance , the costumes ( knockout dress ) while I didn't like C/P's at SC. Don't think the music works, liked many of the moves in the dance, but would prefer if that lift was placed elsewhere.It didn't have the freedom of W/P's dance and the costumes..@#X%#** !

Really expect D/W's waltz to start sweeping me off my feet by this time, and the Shib's SD is simply charming ( Hope they go clean ).

I've always admired Riazonova..going to check out those links again...edit..SD - like the music, costume, nice feel to it..not keen on the position in the rotational lift..:think:

Those comparative levels are ve-e-ery interesting..

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
One interesting thing is that D&W arrived with a new SD and level 4 steps-which helped them overcome the hit they took in Golden Waltz segment 2. That is a BIG hit, that segment.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Wow, I loved Riazaonva/Tkachenko's SD. I hadn't seen it before. Along with W/P, it's my favorite SD of the group.

I think W/P can compete with C/P in the SD, but I think C/P will pull ahead in the FD. W/P FD's is just so cheesy and bad, IMO, and while I'm not a fan of C/P at all, they have an interesting program. Their SD is much weaker, IMO, because Fallin just does not fit the choreography they are doing.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)I don't know what to think of W/P's FD..I like their skating ( I haven't re-watched lately , but liked some stuff in the FD, AFAIR, at NHK)..I'm not fond of the Music and I seem to remember too many cuts for my liking..but was I letting my dislike of ( or over exposure to ) the music get in my way ?

OTOH ,I like C/P's program a lot. I was a bit disappointed to learn they'd spent a relatively short time with Chris Dean..and while I really think it's wonderful program, by going sort of abstract, he's given them a program that doesn't address their shortcomings in relating to one another. What more could he accomplish in a week ? great as it is, I think it's a bit of a mask and however well they do with it this season..they'll still need the same intensive work on posture and expression that they've been needing for years.

So I'm very curious as to how those 2 couples will score against each other, and still don't have a sense of what to expect...;)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Funny you should ask :) I am posting a Free Dance Preview just now, and there are youtube links to the previous performances of the teams.

W&P's FD has, for my taste, too many lifts. Perhaps they took the ISU's request for "uplifting" programs a tad too literally? ;) It has four short lifts and two transitional lifts. Most of them are very clever lifts, some with unique entrances, but ultimately, ice dancing for me is about steps. I'd prefer they did more of them. I'd also like to see them do something else than start the routine with a voice saying, "This story is about LOVE." while the two of them use their arms to draw a heart. That kind of exceeds my minimum daily allowed dosage of saccharine. However, they do connect to their story and music well.

C&P's program is perhaps more difficult, but doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with Eleanor Rigby, which is a song about loneliness and depression. This isn't helped by the fact that the version they are using is by a person who also is not involved in the song, and who could just as well be singing about the virtues of Bounty Paper Towels, in contrast to the Beatles' much more moving version. I find I can appreciate it best as an abstract piece, but I really want more out of them artistically. Perhaps this free dance will develop some depth as the season progresses. It's a lot to expect of such a young team that they develop both artistically and technically in the same season. At least they are much better packaged in this program than they were last year.

I'm not sure what to expect of how they will be scored either. C&P had significantly higher scores in both parts of the event at Skate Canada than W&P did at NHK. However, IMO, NHK had the tougher technical committee. And W&P have had an extra week to work on their programs than C&P.

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks so much Doris for all of this information and discussion; it is so informative!

Antilles

Medalist
Who are the new coaches of C&L and when did they make this change? It's too bad they had such a poor debut to their season, but happy to hear they are trying to make improvements.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I went back and gave youtube links for the previous performances of the couples' SDs. I was unable to find Coomes & Buckland and Kriengkrairut & Giuletti-Schmitt there. If you desperately need to find a copy, C&B's is on icenetwork in the NHK event and K&G-S was findable with a subscription at the Lake Placid International Dance Competition site. It might still be up.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think C&P are going to beat D&W. Yeah they beat the Kerrs at SC but Sinead did have a nasty fall in the FD, and they were still pretty close.

I'm excited to see the battle between C&P and W&P. I think C&P will probably be the victors, but I'm not completely sure.

Wicked

Final Flight
Never liked C&P but find myself liking them more this season than I ever have. The second half of their FD seems to get a bit frenetic at times. I wish they would tone that down some.

It's really a contest for Silver. My money if on C/P, but my heart is on W/P. I'm also liking the Shibutanis this season. They have lost their cutsey look and are now quite mature.

amateur

Final Flight
I, for one, think that C&P will (or should) beat W&P handily.

Last edited: