Free Dance Preview and Virtual Program Sun. Nov. 14 , 2:00 PM EST | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Free Dance Preview and Virtual Program Sun. Nov. 14 , 2:00 PM EST

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Even with the deductions, Meryl and Charlie kicked ***. Better to make the mistakes now, than later.

Agreed. Got to consider that they changed quite a bit of it. I think they were still getting under the new choreo. That said, I do like this version better. Seems more polished and less busy.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Protocol time!!!

D/W were hit with an extended lift. They had two level two elements. Most startling to me was that their rotational lift was scored a level three. Given the position she hits and the very difficult hold, I think that level four might be too dangerous frankly.

C/P had one level two element. Maia/Alex had none (hghest base value of the night/highest TES). W/P got hit with an extended lift too and had one level one.

IN THE SD

D/W also lost points on the twizzle in terms of base value. W/P are really losing out on GOE, seeing half their advantage over C/P in terms of base value lost.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Looks like the final deduction for D/W was for an extended list per the protocols.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Protocol time!!!

D/W were hit with an extended lift. They had two level two elements. Most startling to me was that their rotational lift was scored a level three. Given the position she hits and the very difficult hold, I think that level four might be too dangerous frankly.

C/P had one level two element. Maia/Alex had none (hghest base value of the night/highest TES). W/P got hit with an extended lift too and had one level one.

IN THE SD

D/W also lost points on the twizzle in terms of base value. W/P are really losing out on GOE, seeing half their advantage over C/P in terms of base value lost.

Thanks for the quick analysis!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I love Lynn and Logan (US). I didn't know they were so good. I think they're better than Chock and Zuerlein..

smia

Rinkside
Falls should be much more costly in ice dance, it's not like they're attempting jumps or throws.

i love to skate

Medalist
I am quite unimpressed with Meryl and Charlie this year. They looked to be out of sorts this competition and made such silly mistakes. I don't think either of their programs suit them and they don't look confident when they are skating. Perhaps it is with the retirement of B/A and having V/M out with injury - D/W are THE team to beat and perhaps aren't used to the pressure? I hope they get it together soon! I would actually be happy if they just scrapped the tango FD and started fresh with something else. I want them to get back to their FD in 2009 - now that was a beautiful and stunning program!

C/P were not at their best this competition but hopefully they get in some good training time before the GPF. Christopher Dean is the guest judge on Battle of the Blades next week so I would think that he will spend some time with them as well. I am really looking forward to seeing how they grow over the course of the season.

As for the W/P vs. C/P showdown, I think this competition shows which team is better as even with mistakes, C/P beat them handily. W/P skated much better in the SD than they did in the FD, IMO. I don't think there is anything very unique or entertaining about their FD.

I just can't get excited about Maia and Alex - they just bore me even though they are extremely good skaters. It has always made me uncomfortable when a brother and sister skate together too (especially in dance)!

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He looked like he just lost the edge.

They barely beat the Shibs in the FD, but they'll get silver.

It seemed to be a tracking problem to me with Vanessa and Paul. The fall was not on anything particularly difficult, just a transition. It seemed that he didn't expect her to be in his path right at that moment, which triggered the fall.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Falls should be much more costly in ice dance, it's not like they're attempting jumps or throws.

You'd think that it's harder to fall in ice dance, but they do tons of things that would make and average singles/pairs skater fall easily

My first impression of all the couples is that the contestants are all Seniors, whether or not they error here and there.

Next, although it is too late, I would like Weaver and Poje to get a new LP. They are much too talented to be performing standard programs.

The Russian team were far too aggressive in the more upbeat music with too many hand movements. They could correct that in the future.

The Shibutani's were to die for. Fabulous dance a la Fred and Ginger. If I were judging they would get lst place from me.

Crone and Poirier were soo into that lonely music. It was brilliant and reminiscent of Virtue/Moir's Valse Triste. I would have tied them with the Shibutanis.

I see a lot of Davis/White, so I don't notice anything in the way of improvements. They are Ice Dance defined.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I just can't get excited about Maia and Alex - they just bore me even though they are extremely good skaters. It has always made me uncomfortable when a brother and sister skate together too (especially in dance)!

This fascinates me, because I mostly agree. Sibling teams just seem bizarre. But Maia and Alex have done an exquisite job of avoiding the discomfort here (whereas the Hubbells really haven't, for a comparison) by emphasizing the beauty of the movements and going for a more old-fashioned look (whereas the Hubbells prefer modern and that hurts, I think).

blue_idealist, I also really liked Lynn and Logan.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:rolleye: I totally disagree. Ice dancers skate with much more speed than most singles skaters. Plus, they have tons more transitions and choreography that they have to do and the lifts they do are not at all easy. They have to skate so deep in the knees and do very tricky edge work where it would be so easy for a lesser skater to lose that edge amidst all the difficult transitions and choreography that dancers do. If you think ice dance is easy, you are very wrong. Having to skate that close to another person at such high speeds where you can easily cross paths and fall is not easy at all!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Crone and Poirier were soo into that lonely music. It was brilliant and reminiscent of Virtue/Moir's Valse Triste. I would have tied them with the Shibutanis.

For what it's worth, the judges basically agreed with you. Only three tenths of a point separated the two teams.

smia

Rinkside
I'm certainly NOT saying ice dance is easy but falls are less forgiveable in this discipline.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I just don't get it. :disapp: Why are W/P consistently scoring so low? They looked pretty good to me out there, but the number they put up didn't even come close to the other three teams. And they keep getting beaten in the PCS, which I find especially strange because I think they have way more performance quality than C/P (who I love also, BTW). I really don't get it. They scored lower here than NHK, and they had a very costly mistake on the twizzles there. And it's not like this is only happening this year. It seems that these two have always been held down by the international judges. Can somebody explain please??

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I just don't get it. :disapp: Why are W/P consistently scoring so low? They looked pretty good to me out there, but the number they put up didn't even come close to the other three teams. And they keep getting beaten in the PCS, which I find especially strange because I think they have way more performance quality than C/P (who I love also, BTW). I really don't get it. They scored lower here than NHK, and they had a very costly mistake on the twizzles there. And it's not like this is only happening this year. It seems that these two have always been held down by the international judges. Can somebody explain please??

1. They lost 2.5 points for a level one Rotational lift (they can do level four, and their first one was a level four).
2. They lost a point for the extended lift
3. Performance/Execution and Intepretation are valued less than Skating Skills and Linking footwork, which means what they're good at PCS wise isn't scored as highly to what they aren't as good at.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I seriously think that, even if Virtue/Moir were not going there, this FD will not give the World Gold for Davis/White.

I found the whole concept faulty. They don't have chemistry, excitement, a play of flirting behind the virtual fight as any couple who dance a tango should.
They gets bored and the audience get bored too.
It is just simply an attraction.
You cannot see them to want to go together after the dance, the only thing they want to each other is to win. The feeling is not there.
I feel sorry of them, because this couple worth a much better program to show their technique and ability to perform. This "inner dance" is not their coup of tee.
They are not intimidated dancers together, they are simply gorgeous show dancers.

I hope they are going back to Samson and Delilah. That program worths a gold medal, they should get in 2009. It is time to get it now!!

oleada

Record Breaker
I love Lynn and Logan (US). I didn't know they were so good. I think they're better than Chock and Zuerlein..

I agree, I found their program very charming!

I liked Riazanova/Tkachenko, but their SD was a better program. W/P entertained me the most out of the top four, so it was sad for me when they didn't medal. Add me to those that find the Shibutanis boring. Their program has been done a million times before. C/P are not my favorite team, but that was quite tentative - they seem to be thinking about the choreography and not projecting. D/W just don't have the tango chemistry, IMO.

I really hope Pechalat/Bourzat could win Worlds (though I think that is unlikely) because D/W's dances just aren't getting it done, IMO.

Apple Pi

Rinkside
There was one move at the beginning when Charlie has Meryl hooked around his legs- his expression was the most overtly sexy and adult that I've ever seen from him. Woah!!:cool:

Which one is this? The one there was a smoking picture of at NHK? There are so many moves in their dance that involve Meryl hooked around his legs.