Alissa Czisny among the notables competing at US Sectionals this week | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny among the notables competing at US Sectionals this week

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here's the Detroit Free Press article that mentions Czisny, Grant Hochstein, Parker Pennington, and Jason Brown competing at Mids in Ann Arbor, MI: http://www.freep.com/article/201011...TS/Czisny-in-Ann-Arbor-for-skating-sectionals

USFS' press release about Sectionals: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=45265&type=media

Link to the Sectionals thread in the Event folder that includes compilations of the competitors' Regionals, international, and club comp. scores (singles and pairs): http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...onships-11-09-10-11-13-10&p=527092#post527092

lavender

Record Breaker
I thought I read on the site that she got a bye because of skate canada. They listed a couple of skaters who had byes.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think it is ridiculous that Alissa must do Sectionals. Sheesh give the girl a bye. She just received the highest
score for ladies FS so far this season. Why no reputation byes when we have reputation judging.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think it is ridiculous that Alissa must do Sectionals. Sheesh give the girl a bye. She just received the highest
score for ladies FS so far this season. Why no reputation byes when we have reputation judging.

Maybe this will teach her not to bomb at nationals...

janetfan

Match Penalty

:laugh: :laugh:

What if Alissa "called in sick" :think:
And then medaled at her next GP event and makes the GPF.

Would US Skating refuse the champion of Skate Canada and a GP finalist a spot at Natls?

larryb

Spectator
It's quite possible that Allisa simply wants to remain in a competive enviroment. She clearly has been working hard on her jumps. Another chance to have her two new programs judged in a less publicized venue could be to her adventage. Also, having no way of knowing that she would win Skate Canada, she may simply be fulfilling a commitment she previously had made. Being very impressed with her performance in Skate Canada, I can only wish her the very best in all her competitions this season.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
Maybe this will teach her not to bomb at nationals...

I don't think anything can "teach" you not to bomb Nationals. Sometimes it just happens. I can't get over Alissa having to do Sectionals (unless she is doing it by choice, which could be possible). The USFS rules seem outdated. If Alissa blows her next GP, we'll never know exactly why, but I will certainly be wondering if Sectionals helped tired her out. And I, too, wonder what would happen if Alissa "called in sick" on Sectionals day. Actually, I know what would happen... She wouldn't get to go to Nationals unless she made the GPF, which is sad considering how easily some others have been given byes. :disapp: Maybe that would finally convince the USFSA to update their darn rules!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I have mixed feelings about all this stuff. One one hand, they are rules, but on the other hand...I'm not sure how fair it is if some skaters can get out of it by having a GP scheduling conflict and others who DON'T have that conflict have to qualify. I say if they do well enough at the GP (medal? Score a given point total?) then give them the bye. Then again- they DID tank last year's nationals, anyway...I dunno.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If she had finished in the top 5 at Nationals, she would have a bye. If she skated CoC or SA or next week's event, she would have a bye. The reason why the bye rule is written as it is is because it used to be a lot more lax and there were people getting byes due to injury and a whole host of other reasons that maybe had no business being at Nationals in the first place! And there'd be ~ 40 skaters! Can you imagine that now?

gold12345

Medalist
If she had finished in the top 5 at Nationals, she would have a bye. If she skated CoC or SA or next week's event, she would have a bye. The reason why the bye rule is written as it is is because it used to be a lot more lax and there were people getting byes due to injury and a whole host of other reasons that maybe had no business being at Nationals in the first place! And there'd be ~ 40 skaters! Can you imagine that now?

Easy solution would be to just give everyone on the GP a bye. It would add only one more skater to Nationals- Alissa. Caroline Zhang finished just as poorly as Alissa at Nationals last season, and she gets a bye just because of her scheduling conflict with Skate America. Not sure how that's fair. I'm hoping that Alissa was given the option of skipping Sectionals, but it just hasn't been made public knowledge.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
:laugh: :laugh:

What if Alissa "called in sick" :think:
And then medaled at her next GP event and makes the GPF.

Would US Skating refuse the champion of Skate Canada and a GP finalist a spot at Natls?

Then she'll have a bye.;)

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
But it's risky -- what if she doesn't make the GPF? Then her season would be over.

I have a question about the wording of the rule about making the Grand Prix Final. It says that a skater gets a bye to Nationals if she makes the "most recent" Grand Prix Finals.

Does that mean the one just before Nationals (in other words, the one coming up in Decemeber, 2010), or does it mean last year's -- the one "most recent" before Sectionals?

Anyway, Alissa needs only a fourth place finish in her second GP event to make the finals. Automatic....right?....right?

FTnoona

Final Flight
Anyway, Alissa needs only a fourth place finish in her second GP event to make the finals. Automatic....right?....right?

I don't think anything is ever automatic. Just hope that she doesn't let her bad side take over. She has Nagasu, Phaneuf, Imai, Korpi, and Asada to deal with. I have a feeling that Asada won't be much of a threat but she can certainly shake things up if she lands a couple of her jumps or maybe even stay vertical the whole time. Alissa does have a good chance though because she is competing with rather unstable ladies right now. I don't think any of the ladies are going to skate both a clean SP and FS :(
I think it's a good thing that she is skating at Sectionals. It's just more competitions for her to get ready for nationals. Isn't that what she did in 2009 when she won the title. She competed more like in those summer competitions.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caroline Zhang finished just as poorly as Alissa at Nationals last season, and she gets a bye just because of her scheduling conflict with Skate America. Not sure how that's fair.

It's not fair, not one bit! :disapp::scowl:

krenseby

Final Flight
It would add only one more skater to Nationals- Alissa. Caroline Zhang finished just as poorly as Alissa at Nationals last season, and she gets a bye just because of her scheduling conflict with Skate America. Not sure how that's fair.

What matters is that Alissa focuses on her training and stays in shape both mentally and physically. With that mind, she'll come out of this extra competition unscathed.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Alissa got 1st in the SP last night at Sectionals. She fell on a badly underrotated 3Flip but is 12 points ahead of the rest of the field regardless.

I think it's ridiculous that she has to compete at Sectionals. The only thing this will accomplish is pushing one of the lesser ladies from Sectionals out of the top 4, causing them to miss their trip to Nationals. Not cool.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I have a question about the wording of the rule about making the Grand Prix Final. It says that a skater gets a bye to Nationals if she makes the "most recent" Grand Prix Finals.

Does that mean the one just before Nationals (in other words, the one coming up in Decemeber, 2010), or does it mean last year's -- the one "most recent" before Sectionals?

The Final from the previous season is probably ancient history at that point.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Why not do the sectionals? She can easily win, which might boost her confidence (something she often lacks). It'll just be kind of like a practice for her.