Pairs - Short Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs - Short Program

janetfan

Match Penalty
Zhang/Toth - better than I thought. See a good future if they stick with it.
There was a Canadian dance team who used Zorba and it was super but unfortunately, it was during the Soviet era. I think those Canadian dancers should have worked on the program for More-Towers/Moscovitch. The pairs couple are not looking musical.

The other two teams were not at their best, for sure.

I liked the way Zhang/Toth skated to the music. I found it a charming program. Did not like too much else in the first group.
The Zorba looked under-reheasred to me.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Kemp/King: she landed herself in the triple twist, but the throw loop was gorgeous (beautiful highlight with the music as well - it's like the loop replaced Chris Martin). They never once were in the same position in the sbs spins - he stumbled going in and I think he was just working on trying to get the levels as high as possible (aka, I think this element will get straight -3 GOES despite no fall). I quite like this team but they never seem to really get it together. I don't even know why I like them, truth be told.

lavender

Record Breaker
Adorable junior world champions and they really sold the program but it was too frantic for me:laugh: They were moving their arms so fast that they weren't together at times. I need some chamomile tea after that.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Sui/Han: HUGE triple twist. Wow. HUGE throw triple flip. SBS 2A that didn't actually leave the ice (wierd). Lift seemed problematic. Given them credit though - they're the real deal and they played to this audience beautifully. Some awesome transitions.

Scout

Final Flight
Adorable junior world champions and they really sold the program but it was too frantic for me:laugh: They were moving their arms so fast that that weren't together at times. I need some chamomile tea after that.

lol. i love your description. i wish i could have seen them.

lavender

Record Breaker
Denny and Barrett..... Nice pair (as in personalities) but I like the American couple that just won bronze last week way more. Anyhoo what bothers me about this couple is the lack of height on everything. Their twist, jumps and throws all are so low.

Thanks Scout:biggrin:

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Denney/Barrett: Good indeed. Improved from NHK (lets check the levels) and they've actually improved presentation wise from last season. Lovely throw triple lutz. Posterior-up death spiral still present.

lavender

Record Breaker
Love S/S. However, I don't know what is it with me but I've just never really got into folk music of any kind but thankfully I can still see and appreciate some good programs skated to it. Very nice introduction minus the double jump. Still adore this pair but not one of my fav shorts from them. Just a side note..that throw was huge....wow.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Now, the big guns.

Savchenko/Szolkowy: She doubled the SBS 3T and they had off unison in the spin. But they were clearly the class of this field. Intricate footwork. Gorgeous throw triple flip (Aliona basically asked gravity if it could kindly take a break, and gravity agreed). She didn't seem happy at all.

Tesla

Final Flight
Huh. I expected a bigger score. Of course, I can't actually watch it, so maybe that's an appropriate score.

The Cowboy and the Dance Hall Gal from China playing with Ballanchine's Western Symphony will give Pang/Tong a rough time in Sochi. Mark me!

D and B were fine but could do better.

S and S were all round the best team, but there were obvious booboos.

I really do not like that Canadian team. They did not show any feel for the music or each other.

Oh well, let's see what the LPs tell us.

oleada

Record Breaker
Rachael Flatt and Vanessa Crone should thank Kristen Moore-Towers for knocking them off first place in my "most annoying skaters" podium.

MT/M's PCS was way too high. I have no idea what the judges see in this team. I don't disagree with the placement, but the score is ridiculously high compared to those around them.

I thought Stolbova/Klimov were a little undermarked. They had the best choreography of the event.

Denney/Barrett were much better than in Japan, but their skating skills and PCS are just not world class. She seems taller this season, too. She came across as very lovely and articulate in the Universal Sports interview, though.

S/S were still rough, but they are in a whole different level when it comes to the other teams. Hopefully the LP will be better.

gold12345

Medalist
Sui and Han need to slow down. I love their enthusiasm and transitions, but they're almost out of control. He is lucky she's so small because he barely got that lift up.. Too rushed.

Savchenko and Szolkowy were better than the rest, but the mistakes obviously hurt the score.

Denney & Barrett and Moore-Towers & Moscovitch have some of the same issues in terms of polish... And they both have their rear ends sticking up on the death spiral, although the Canadian version wasn't quite as awful looking. :laugh: At least D&B's was slightly better than the one they did at NHK, but that's not saying much. Overall, I can tell both of these teams are trying, but I will just never warm up to this rough style of skating.

Agreed. Do people who know the history of this team know if they have jumping issues? Because his height and breadth suggest that that could be a problem (physics being what it is).

This is only the second year that Castelli and Shnapir have competed SBS triples, so there's not much history. But they have both been pretty hot and cold. Their height difference is rather distracting, no matter how many times Peter Carruthers claims it's a big advantage. :laugh: But too much of a height difference is better than not enough, I suppose.

Last edited:
B

bingbing

SS were a little tight today.Some problems when S landed on her throw,but she controlled it.It also seems that Szolkowy also had problems with that SBS 3T but I`m not sure.May they have a good show of their lp debut tomorrow.By the way,I like the 'send in clowns' and 'out of Africa' from last year better.But,I will just show my honorship to this pair for their courage of keeping trying new styles and new technics!Good luck to them for this whole season!