Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Short Program

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Why? She skates like through molasses. Very , very heavy
    I totally agree. I felt Zhang was overscored, but it is Skate America after all. I would have had her below both Amelie and Mae if I were judging. It just really annoys me when a skater lacks speed and power to the degree that Caroline does. Her skating seems small and contained. She's not skating big and reaching out to the public with her skating.

Custom Title
    What a disappointing short. Here's to hoping that the freeskate will be better

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Apparently she looked faster here, and her combo/spins were better than NHK
    3f-2t was nice
    3lo was a struggle, landing was shaky with arms a bit wild and it might have been UR
    2a was from a complete standstill and covered no ice
    Maybe she was a little faster but to me she still seemed painfully slow
    Layback spin was gorgeous, other spins were slow and nothing special. Her camel catchfoot position was not pretty.

I thought her score was fair and actually thought it could have been a little lower, maybe close to Mae's. I'm just impressed she can still land her jumps after such a dramatic physical transformation.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Wheee! Carolina goes into 1st place!
    Very well deserved! She's the class of this competition, head and shoulders above the rest I think.

Custom Title
    It was a weak field, but not everyone skated up top their potential. Don't judge women's skating based on one weak field, especially in the year after the Olympics. Give some of the younger skaters time to grow.

Custom Title
    The overscoring for Kostner was disgraceful. Kanako, as much as I couldn't stand her choreography, should be in first place. I'd even put Joshi over Carolina. Kostner completed the easiest jumps (and not overwhelmingly well, either), and her presentation isn't so far ahead of the other girls that she should receive a 60+ (!) score for that program.

As for Rachael, I'd give her a slight PCS edge over Caroline, but that was obviously a 2-2 that she did so she should be lower on the first mark.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    The overscoring for Kostner was disgraceful. Kanako, as much as I couldn't stand her choreography, should be in first place. I'd even put Joshi over Carolina. Kostner completed the easiest jumps (and not overwhelmingly well, either), and her presentation isn't so far ahead of the other girls that she should receive a 60+ (!) score for that program.

As for Rachael, I'd give her a slight PCS edge over Caroline, but that was obviously a 2-2 that she did so she should be lower on the first mark.
    Kanako did a 1a, resulting in -3 GOE because a 2a or 3a is required in the SP. Had she done a 2a, she might have been in 1st. I thought Carolina's speed, flow, and choreo were leaps and bounds better than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    3f-2t was nice
    3lo was a struggle, landing was shaky with arms a bit wild and it might have been UR
    2a was from a complete standstill and covered no ice
    Maybe she was a little faster but to me she still seemed painfully slow
    Layback spin was gorgeous, other spins were slow and nothing special. Her camel catchfoot position was not pretty.

I thought her score was fair and actually thought it could have been a little lower, maybe close to Mae's. I'm just impressed she can still land her jumps after such a dramatic physical transformation.
    It was such a lacklustre SP that it is hard to tell about the scores. Rachael and Caroline are only a point apart but thought they were both given a small hometown boost.

I thought Carolina and Kanako deserved to be scored higher than the others.

Custom Title
    I've seen a lot of ladies do the camel catchfoot. Hvae the rules changed? Do you get more points for this now?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Kanako did a 1a, resulting in -3 GOE because a 2a or 3a is required in the SP. Had she done a 2a, she might have been in 1st. I thought Carolina's speed, flow, and choreo were leaps and bounds better than the others.
    Oops, yes, I forgot about that. But even if Kanako had done a 2A, her score would've been lower than Carolina's and I find that terribly unfair.

Normally, I find Kostner's high marks in the PCS to be less puzzling, but today's performance wasn't deserving of such scores, IMO.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    This was a pathetic event altogether. To have the winner doing a 3t-2t combo is simply laughable. Women skating is sinking in a rapid fashion. Yu Na come back to the rescue, please!!!
    I won't blame Carolina for doing that easy combo because she's injured. However, I do agree with you about the level of women skating. It puzzles me a skater can lead with a 3toe-2toe in the short program. That's an international event, with supposedly all elite skaters. To Carolina's credit though, her triple loop was good and artistically she was well above Flatt (but then, her choreography just makes me cringe).

And Flatt's 3toe definitely looked downgraded.

A bit off-topic, but Carolina's dress reminded me of Kwan's outfit at the 2002 GPF (short program)..

Down With It
    Well, I completely missed this (I thought it was at 6 or 6:30??) but looks like I didn't miss much at all. Thank goodness

And as for overscoring of Kostner- what's new? come on, anyone surprised by that? it's just what happens.

Sad for Caroline. You can definitely tell she's trying, and that flip was such an improvement. In fact, I'm surprised she's had so much negative criticism despite overhauling her technique. The double axel is still pretty bad, but, in my opinion, it does seem a bit higher. Her spins are pretty (although her I-spin has regressed), but I doubt they will ever be as good as they once were. You can't really blame her for that though. She's gone through such a physical change. I'm going to cross my fingers for next season, but I'm not going to expect a miracle. She's got a long way to go, but her patience will be rewarded, at least I hope it will be.

I loved Kanako's performance btw. The kid's got spunk.

Carolina, well, she's Carolina, so I'm not surprised by her scores. Given the lackluster field, I'd say I'm ok with her being in first.

Rachael, well, she's always been consistent, and that's saved her. Without that, she's not any more special than Joshi. Yes, I know, call me un-American, but Rachael bores me to tears.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast