Ladies - Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

Andalusia

Final Flight
Okay, am I biased or...was Maé robbed??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVOO67fxrsI&translated=1

She deserved higher PCS, IMO. And technically, that 3lutz-2toe looked really good to me, plus her 3 loop and 2 axel...Don't tell me giving her below 20 on components for that performance is fair.

Maé WUZ ROBBED!!!

I missed the first few skates, but yes, she was so much better than Kostner it's not even funny. The music doesn't really suit her, but all her elements looked clean and she seems pretty polished for such a newcomer. I hope to see more of Maé! :)

In my book, I'd have Joshi and Maé ahead of Carolina without a doubt.

christinaskater

Medalist
I think Rachael needs major overhaul

She needs a more classical look, darker hair, more stylish costumes to give her a more mature presentation, i think she is musical but she needs to project more excitement. I think the judges during the Olympics tried to give her a clear message, yes you can do the jumps but she can improve more on the spins, the transitions, the footwork-try to really sell it to the audience and the judges.

She should also choose music that is more classical and powerful since that is the choice of the judges.

I really liked her and her presence when she first burst on the scene when she was really young, I hope she could return to that. So much spunk and presence.

lavender

Record Breaker
Okay watched Caroline again. She is getting faster and her over performance minus jumps were better here. She looks so different though. All I see mostly is upper body when she skaters now. I do admire how she is still trying though.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think she is playing it safe in the early competitions because she may think she does not need the big jumps as of the moment and it is definitely wiser for her to play safe to prevent injuries.

:confused: She already is injured; she needs knee surgery. That's why she's had to water down her jump content and not attempt 3Lutz and 3flip.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Thank you DannyCurry for posting the link of Maé.
Yes, I am getting VERY mad.:bang: Her TES score(=28.29) is 2nd and her PCS(=19.98) is last?
Her SS, TR, PE, CH, IN are the worst of 12 skaters? Ridiculous.
What were judges seeing?
As a no expert, I usually try to understand reasonable reasons of judging but this time, this is not acceptable.

christinaskater

Medalist
I like Mae, she reminds me of the power of Surya Bonaly sans the triple triple jumps but she is good.....

She is very athletic so I can see she is really trying to soften the strength to give it more grace. I see so much potential

Can't wait to see her go for a quad or a triple-triple soon.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I like Mae, she reminds me of the power of Surya Bonaly sans the triple triple jumps but she is good.....

She is very athletic so I can see she is really trying to soften the strength to give it more grace. I see so much potential

Can't wait to see her go for a quad or a triple-triple soon.

Her basics are already way, way better than Surya's ever was. :laugh:
It's also nice to see that she isn't using that god-awful Eurotrash or muzak that Surya used :eek:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Okay, am I biased or...was Maé robbed??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVOO67fxrsI&translated=1

She deserved higher PCS, IMO. And technically, that 3lutz-2toe looked really good to me, plus her 3 loop and 2 axel...Don't tell me giving her below 20 on components for that performance is fair.

Maé WUZ ROBBED!!!

Yes, she appeared to be a victim of the CoP reputation scoring.
It was my first time seeing her and was pleasantly surprised. I had her third, ahead of Flatt and Zhang.

Andalusia

Final Flight
:confused: She already is injured; she needs knee surgery. That's why she's had to water down her jump content and not attempt 3Lutz and 3flip.

I believe that she is injured, but I'm not so sure she won't be keeping the same jump layout for the SP from this season onwards. Carolina would be even more inconsistent than she already is if she were to do the harder jumps, so why not do the easiest jumps when she can still get a nice big overscore for doing so?

I'm not sure about this, but I think that without a downgraded flip (was it even downgraded? I'm just assuming it was) Mirai's CoC SP score would still have been lower than Carolina's here. That is just wrong on so many levels when Mirai does a lutz and flip over Carolina's toe and loop; not to mention that Mirai is equal to or better than Carolina in other areas as well.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I believe that she is injured, but I'm not so sure she won't be keeping the same jump layout for the SP from this season onwards. Carolina would be even more inconsistent than she already is if she were to do the harder jumps, so why not do the easiest jumps when she can still get a nice big overscore for doing so?

I'm not sure about this, but I think that without a downgraded flip (was it even downgraded? I'm just assuming it was) Mirai's CoC SP score would still have been lower than Carolina's here. That is just wrong on so many levels when Mirai does a lutz and flip over Carolina's toe and loop; not to mention that Mirai is equal to or better than Carolina in other areas as well.

It wasn't downgraded.

herios

Medalist
It was a weak field, but not everyone skated up top their potential. Don't judge women's skating based on one weak field, especially in the year after the Olympics. Give some of the younger skaters time to grow.

It is weak by any measures. Women skating is regressing period.
The ladies winner here jumps comparable with what the ladies were doing 30 years ago. That is not progress. Sorry.

yes. i am giving the younger skater like Murakami some slack. Others , not so much.

Last edited:
Mae-Berenice got in the fours for Transitions and Interpretation. :eek:

Comparison to Rachael's interpretation score (high 6's) -- well, Rachael did try to skate in the jazzy style of her music. It's just that this style does not suit the her very well, IMHO.

I though Caroline Zhang's performance was fine. She didn't seem extra slow from what I could make out on the Internet feed :). Her double Axel actually looked quite a bit better to me, in addition to her flip. :clap:

burntBREAD

Medalist
Mae-Berenice got in the fours for Transitions and Interpretation. :eek:

Comparison to Rachael's interpretation score (high 6's) -- well, Rachael did try to skate in the jazzy style of her music. It's just that this style does not suit the her very well, IMHO.

I though Caroline Zhang's performance was fine. She didn't seem extra slow from what I could make out on the Internet feed :). Her double Axel actually looked quite a bit better to me, in addition to her flip. :clap:

Mae-Berenice did not deserve such low PCS, but she didn't have very many transitions, I didn't see very many at all going into her solo Lo. I feel that she interpreted quite well, and deserved higher PCS in the PE and IN categories.

I'm obviously a Caroline fan, so I'm quite pleased with her progress. It's not amazing, but she's slowly but surely improving. (Please get rid of that catchfoot...even Mirai is doing it now! Is it some sort of flawless level gainer like the pancake was last year?)

christinaskater

Medalist
Yeah, Mael is leaps and bounds ahead of Bonaly in the artistic department.

It was travesty though that they though Surya wasn't artistic. No, she was not the ballerina goddess Baiul but she had her own artistry, i loved her 93 LP, her best i must say. She got 5.8's for artistry hehehe.

Scout

Final Flight
It is weeak by any measures. Women skating is regressing period.
The ladies winner here jumps comparable with what the ladies were doing 30 years ago. That is not progress. Sorry.

yes. i am giving the younger skater like Murakami some slack. Others , not so much.

This field was weak. I agree that this one field, on this night, showed a jumping level comparable with 30 years ago. But overall, I think the number of triple-triples, triple axels, and quad(s) attempted and landed after 1980 is greater than the number attempted and landed pre-1980. Look at the 2010 Olympics. Based on that competition, would you say ladies' skating is regressing?

burntBREAD

Medalist
This field was weak. I agree that this one field, on this night, showed a jumping level comparable with 30 years ago. But overall, I think the number of triple-triples, triple axels, and quad(s) attempted and landed after 1980 is greater than the number attempted and landed pre-1980. Look at the 2010 Olympics. Based on that competition, would you say ladies' skating is regressing?

It's just a lull that would occur after an Olympics year; the top skaters are injured, absent, or reworking their technique. If people like YuNa or Joannie come back, and Mao fixes up her problem, as well as other new contenders like Mirai, the ladies' field will improve again. And don't forget about the new influx of junior wunderkinds!

Scout

Final Flight
It's just a lull that would occur after an Olympics year; the top skaters are injured, absent, or reworking their technique. If people like YuNa or Joannie come back, and Mao fixes up her problem, as well as other new contenders like Mirai, the ladies' field will improve again. And don't forget about the new influx of junior wunderkinds!

Completely agree - I alluled to that in my original posted, which is quoted in reply #114.