Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Short Program

I like Mae, she reminds me of the power of Surya Bonaly sans the triple triple jumps but she is good.....

She is very athletic so I can see she is really trying to soften the strength to give it more grace. I see so much potential

Can't wait to see her go for a quad or a triple-triple soon.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    I like Mae, she reminds me of the power of Surya Bonaly sans the triple triple jumps but she is good.....

She is very athletic so I can see she is really trying to soften the strength to give it more grace. I see so much potential

Can't wait to see her go for a quad or a triple-triple soon.
    Her basics are already way, way better than Surya's ever was.
    It's also nice to see that she isn't using that god-awful Eurotrash or muzak that Surya used

Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    Okay, am I biased or...was Maé robbed??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVOO67fxrsI&translated=1

She deserved higher PCS, IMO. And technically, that 3lutz-2toe looked really good to me, plus her 3 loop and 2 axel...Don't tell me giving her below 20 on components for that performance is fair.

Maé WUZ ROBBED!!!
    Yes, she appeared to be a victim of the CoP reputation scoring.
    It was my first time seeing her and was pleasantly surprised. I had her third, ahead of Flatt and Zhang.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yes, she appeared to be a victim of the CoP reputation scoring.
    It was my first time seeing her and was pleasantly surprised. I had her third, ahead of Flatt and Zhang.
    What about Joshi?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    She already is injured; she needs knee surgery. That's why she's had to water down her jump content and not attempt 3Lutz and 3flip.
    I believe that she is injured, but I'm not so sure she won't be keeping the same jump layout for the SP from this season onwards. Carolina would be even more inconsistent than she already is if she were to do the harder jumps, so why not do the easiest jumps when she can still get a nice big overscore for doing so?

I'm not sure about this, but I think that without a downgraded flip (was it even downgraded? I'm just assuming it was) Mirai's CoC SP score would still have been lower than Carolina's here. That is just wrong on so many levels when Mirai does a lutz and flip over Carolina's toe and loop; not to mention that Mirai is equal to or better than Carolina in other areas as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    I believe that she is injured, but I'm not so sure she won't be keeping the same jump layout for the SP from this season onwards. Carolina would be even more inconsistent than she already is if she were to do the harder jumps, so why not do the easiest jumps when she can still get a nice big overscore for doing so?

I'm not sure about this, but I think that without a downgraded flip (was it even downgraded? I'm just assuming it was) Mirai's CoC SP score would still have been lower than Carolina's here. That is just wrong on so many levels when Mirai does a lutz and flip over Carolina's toe and loop; not to mention that Mirai is equal to or better than Carolina in other areas as well.
    It wasn't downgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    What about Joshi?
    I missed Joshi - so not sure ........

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I missed Joshi - so not sure ........
    Well, I would've put Meite over Joshi, but just by a tiny margin.
    Here's videos:
    (I think the user hid their videos on their profile, so you have to click the "25 videos" tab
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDf8B..._order&list=UL

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    It was a weak field, but not everyone skated up top their potential. Don't judge women's skating based on one weak field, especially in the year after the Olympics. Give some of the younger skaters time to grow.
    It is weak by any measures. Women skating is regressing period.
    The ladies winner here jumps comparable with what the ladies were doing 30 years ago. That is not progress. Sorry.

yes. i am giving the younger skater like Murakami some slack. Others , not so much.
    Last edited by herios; 11-13-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Mae-Berenice got in the fours for Transitions and Interpretation.

Comparison to Rachael's interpretation score (high 6's) -- well, Rachael did try to skate in the jazzy style of her music. It's just that this style does not suit the her very well, IMHO.

I though Caroline Zhang's performance was fine. She didn't seem extra slow from what I could make out on the Internet feed . Her double Axel actually looked quite a bit better to me, in addition to her flip.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Mae-Berenice got in the fours for Transitions and Interpretation.

Comparison to Rachael's interpretation score (high 6's) -- well, Rachael did try to skate in the jazzy style of her music. It's just that this style does not suit the her very well, IMHO.

I though Caroline Zhang's performance was fine. She didn't seem extra slow from what I could make out on the Internet feed . Her double Axel actually looked quite a bit better to me, in addition to her flip.
    Mae-Berenice did not deserve such low PCS, but she didn't have very many transitions, I didn't see very many at all going into her solo Lo. I feel that she interpreted quite well, and deserved higher PCS in the PE and IN categories.

I'm obviously a Caroline fan, so I'm quite pleased with her progress. It's not amazing, but she's slowly but surely improving. (Please get rid of that catchfoot...even Mirai is doing it now! Is it some sort of flawless level gainer like the pancake was last year?)

Yeah, Mael is leaps and bounds ahead of Bonaly in the artistic department.

It was travesty though that they though Surya wasn't artistic. No, she was not the ballerina goddess Baiul but she had her own artistry, i loved her 93 LP, her best i must say. She got 5.8's for artistry hehehe.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    It is weeak by any measures. Women skating is regressing period.
    The ladies winner here jumps comparable with what the ladies were doing 30 years ago. That is not progress. Sorry.

yes. i am giving the younger skater like Murakami some slack. Others , not so much.
    This field was weak. I agree that this one field, on this night, showed a jumping level comparable with 30 years ago. But overall, I think the number of triple-triples, triple axels, and quad(s) attempted and landed after 1980 is greater than the number attempted and landed pre-1980. Look at the 2010 Olympics. Based on that competition, would you say ladies' skating is regressing?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    This field was weak. I agree that this one field, on this night, showed a jumping level comparable with 30 years ago. But overall, I think the number of triple-triples, triple axels, and quad(s) attempted and landed after 1980 is greater than the number attempted and landed pre-1980. Look at the 2010 Olympics. Based on that competition, would you say ladies' skating is regressing?
    It's just a lull that would occur after an Olympics year; the top skaters are injured, absent, or reworking their technique. If people like YuNa or Joannie come back, and Mao fixes up her problem, as well as other new contenders like Mirai, the ladies' field will improve again. And don't forget about the new influx of junior wunderkinds!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    It's just a lull that would occur after an Olympics year; the top skaters are injured, absent, or reworking their technique. If people like YuNa or Joannie come back, and Mao fixes up her problem, as well as other new contenders like Mirai, the ladies' field will improve again. And don't forget about the new influx of junior wunderkinds!
    Completely agree - I alluled to that in my original posted, which is quoted in reply #114.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast